b/h drive shaft length

/ b/h drive shaft length #1  

big bubba

Elite Member
Tractor
M8540
a friend of mine just purchased a Bush Bog 8' twin spindle, nice machine, every bit as heavy duty as my Rhino...the drive shaft is too long, so he's returning it to dealer, although i think he'll have to measure & cut...my question is how much allowance should he figure for the slip joint? around 1/2"? once mounted & in operation, how much does it actually travel? just so it doesn't bottom out, etc. thx!

/ b/h drive shaft length #2  
That is an expensive drive shaft. Returning it to the Dealer to have it shortened may not be a bad idea. A lot of variables have to be factored in when cutting or shortening one of the large rotary cutters primary drive shaft.

/ b/h drive shaft length
good point, i'll let him know thx

/ b/h drive shaft length #4  
The manual for most implements powered by the 3pt have detailed instructions on how to correctly shorten the shaft.

Here's a video by the awesome folks at Everything Attachments....pretty straight forward really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vBFJcvs5SE

/ b/h drive shaft length
most excellent gmanbart this probably will educate the dealer as well

/ b/h drive shaft length #6  
Good video, but what is missing (because the video is for a tiller) is that a bushog can raise up MUCH higher than just the 3 point when one backs the bushhog up into a rise! So just measuring with the 3 point lifted all the way will likely NOT be short enough for a bushhog.

- Jay

/ b/h drive shaft length #7  
And often one might have it drop down farther than a tiller would (as when I climb up a bank onto the road, which I wouldn't do tilling).

Been there done that.