B1750 will not turn over - Resolved

/ B1750 will not turn over - Resolved #1  

czechsonofagun

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B1750
I was using MMM cutting tall grass. It stalled the engine and when I tried to start it there was a smoke coming from under the engine for few seconds and now the starter does not turn over. When I try, the dash lights go dim. My take is that some wiring or swith burned and is shorted to the ground. Before I dive under it, any ideas, experience, suggestions?

Thanks!

/ B1750 will not turn over - Resolved #2  
Sounds like the starter is toast. You could jump past the solenoid to verify.

/ B1750 will not turn over - Resolved #3  
I was using MMM cutting tall grass. It stalled the engine and when I tried to start it there was a smoke coming from under the engine for few seconds and now the starter does not turn over. When I try, the dash lights go dim. My take is that some wiring or swith burned and is shorted to the ground. Before I dive under it, any ideas, experience, suggestions?

Thanks!
Remove the left side engine screen and inspect for loose, burnt or otherwise damaged wiring at and near the starter.

Note that there is s fusible link in the harness at the starter.

Post back.

SDT

/ B1750 will not turn over - Resolved #4  
Try to rotate the engine manually with the PTO for the mower disengaged. Something could be jammed somewhere preventing the engine from rotating. Look around and under very carefully. Be sure everything is clear after visual inspection.

/ B1750 will not turn over - Resolved #5  
That fusible link looks like a short loop of wire? Does on my Kubotas. Only have one fail or burn after 1000s of hours. Think cleaning all starter electrical connections when replacing the fuse help helped reduce the starter current draw. Clutch and pto safety switches should have stopped starting from mower obstruction unless bypassed.

/ B1750 will not turn over - Resolved
That fusible link looks like a short loop of wire? Does on my Kubotas. Only have one fail or burn after 1000s of hours. Think cleaning all starter electrical connections when replacing the fuse help helped reduce the starter current draw. Clutch and pto safety switches should have stopped starting from mower obstruction unless bypassed.

Yes, the link is a green loop of wire.

I checked the starter, it spins under direct 12V. Could glow plug get grounded? Thats when the dash dimes out, when I turn the key to glow plug position without engaging the clutch.

/ B1750 will not turn over - Resolved #7  
Yes, the link is a green loop of wire.

I checked the starter, it spins under direct 12V. Could glow plug get grounded? Thats when the dash dimes out, when I turn the key to glow plug position without engaging the clutch.
Glow plugs may or may not function but have nothing to do with starter circuit.

Yes, there is a clutch switch that prevents cranking unless the clutch is depressed. There is no such PTO switch on the B1750 (at least in the US).

Your symptoms (smoke near starter) indicate loose, damaged, etc., wiring or connections. Any visible evidence of such?

SDT

There is nothing visibly wrong with the wiring harness. I took out and ckecked the main switch, all ok. Verified the black/white wire that turns on the starting rellay has infinite resistance against the ground. The same wire has negligible resistance measured from the starter end to the main switch end - with clutch fully depressed of course. Fusible link checks ok. The Black/Red wire that feeds glow plugs has connectivity against the ground, but I am guessing thats a feature.

I am lost.

Sounds like the starter is toast. You could jump past the solenoid to verify.

I was able to spin the starter on the bench using jumping cables but when the starter is installed and connected to the power lead and I jump past the solenoid - i.e. bring power to the small terminal - nothing happens.

Seems like the starter is dead after all, or the solenoid is finicky.

Resolved. It was weak battery. The battery was good enough for lights and dash but could not actuate the solenoid and spin the starter.

Of course I took the starter out about four times, had it tested in AA, tried it myself with jumper cables and battery from my jeep - thats when it finally dawn on me. :)

The battery was made 2/2014, I guess it was time to replace it.

The smoke was unrelated, something rubbing on the cutting deck, it happened before.

BTW 51R:

TSC - $134
Costco - $89