B2601, LX2610SU, or ?

/ B2601, LX2610SU, or ? #1  

Fixedon66

It’s been too long since i’ve been on these forums. Last time I was on here I was complaining with other JD 2305 owners of the poor design of the transmission/PTO. So after yet another major drivetrain issue with my JD 2503, I’m going to send it to the salvage and get a sturdier tractor.

We have 10 to 12 acres that is about half pasture half woods. We use a 4 foot brush hog to keep the pasture presentable and use a landscape rake and the FEL to try to keep fallen limbs under control. We use the land mostly for recreation… four wheelers, go carts, nature walks, etc. We’ve leased the pasture in the past to 3 horses and will probably I have other animals when I retire in 3 to 5 years. The JD 2305 has done most of what we need but has always been a little under powered for what I would like it to do.

I’m pretty sold on Kubotas and if I gather right the B2601 is being replaced with the LX2610 so the are very similar. One thing I’ve always thought would come in handy is some type of grappler attachment on the FEL. It seems like that’s something that I could add in the future but was wondering what people thought of either of these units supporting a grappler. Right now we have dead limbs fall from our old pecan trees that we have to pick up manually, throw in a trailer, and dump by a burn pile and use the front in loader to push it together. I really like the idea of having a grappler to pick up brush and chainsawed sections of limbs to either take straight to the burn pile or drop on the trailer with a grappler.

my last consideration is probably not as serious as I’m making it out to be. I’m used to going in the woods to clear four wheeler pads with that thin JD 2305 and any replacement will be wider and less maneuverable in those situations. I think I just have to get over that and will be thankful for the extra work power of the larger tractor. However I am thinking of getting the thinner or four tires to minimize the width of the tractor. Thoughts?

I hope to be more active on these forums as I think if I had asked a question about my JD running rough I might have avoided the serious damage I just incurred.

/ B2601, LX2610SU, or ? #2  
You can’t go wrong with either of the tractors you’re considering. They are both great tractors. However, in that price range, with the size of your property, I’d also seriously consider the L2501.

Mike

/ B2601, LX2610SU, or ? #3  

John Deere 2305 Dimensions​

John Deere 2305 tractor photo
2005 - 2010
2000 Twenty Series
Sub-Compact Utility tractor

Dimensions
Wheelbase:57.1 inches
145 cm
Length:102.6 inches
260 cm
Width:44.9 inches
114 cm
Height (hood):42 inches
106 cm
Height (ROPS):77.5 inches
196 cm
Clearance (front axle):7.7 inches
19 cm
Front tread:39.6 inches
100 cm
Rear tread:33.6 inches
85 cm

Shipping:1450 lbs
657 kg
Operating:1865 lbs
845 kg
Max Drawbar:562 lbs
254 kg
Max front axle:1654 lbs
750 kg
Max rear axle:1477 lbs
669 kg

Last edited:
   / B2601, LX2610SU, or ? #4  
It’s been too long since i’ve been on these forums. Last time I was on here I was complaining with other JD 2305 owners of the poor design of the transmission/PTO. So after yet another major drivetrain issue with my JD 2503, I’m going to send it to the salvage and get a sturdier tractor.

We have 10 to 12 acres that is about half pasture half woods. We use a 4 foot brush hog to keep the pasture presentable and use a landscape rake and the FEL to try to keep fallen limbs under control. We use the land mostly for recreation… four wheelers, go carts, nature walks, etc. We’ve leased the pasture in the past to 3 horses and will probably I have other animals when I retire in 3 to 5 years. The JD 2305 has done most of what we need but has always been a little under powered for what I would like it to do.

I’m pretty sold on Kubotas and if I gather right the B2601 is being replaced with the LX2610 so the are very similar. One thing I’ve always thought would come in handy is some type of grappler attachment on the FEL. It seems like that’s something that I could add in the future but was wondering what people thought of either of these units supporting a grappler. Right now we have dead limbs fall from our old pecan trees that we have to pick up manually, throw in a trailer, and dump by a burn pile and use the front in loader to push it together. I really like the idea of having a grappler to pick up brush and chainsawed sections of limbs to either take straight to the burn pile or drop on the trailer with a grappler.

my last consideration is probably not as serious as I’m making it out to be. I’m used to going in the woods to clear four wheeler pads with that thin JD 2305 and any replacement will be wider and less maneuverable in those situations. I think I just have to get over that and will be thankful for the extra work power of the larger tractor. However I am thinking of getting the thinner or four tires to minimize the width of the tractor. Thoughts?

I hope to be more active on these forums as I think if I had asked a question about my JD running rough I might have avoided the serious damage I just incurred.
My bro in law has a Kubota with the narrow ag tired and when he has a good size load on the fel and turning sharp his tire will come loose from the wheel, I have industrial tires and never had the issue but I have a subcompact and his is a bigger compact. I've put his tire on for him twice no telling how many times he has, got to spend anywhere from twenty minutes to an hour getting it back on. Ag tires grip batter.

/ B2601, LX2610SU, or ? #5  
If you can forego the mid-PTO standard on the Kubota 'B' series buy the L2501 instead.

Sufficient tractor weight is more important for most tractor applications than increased tractor horsepower. Bare tractor weight is a tractor specification easily found in sales brochures and web sites, readily comparable across tractor brands and tractor models, new and used.

Within subcompact and compact tractor categories, a significant tractor capability increase requires a bare tractor weight increase of 50%. It takes a 100% increase in bare tractor weight to elicit MY-OH-MY!

The JD 2305 has always been ( under powered ) under weight for what I need to do.

You will realize minimal tractor capability increase between an 1,800 pound Deere and an 1,800 pound Kubota 'B' from increase in tire/wheel size without stepping up tractor weight. The taller wheels/tires on a same weight Kubota 'B' will make the 'B' seem tippy to you. Instability will be exacerbated by installation and operation of a grapple. You need the 900 pounds greater weight and 8" wider rear wheel spread of the L2501, relative to the Deere.

Kubota L2501
  • 12" ground clearance
  • 3-range HST transmission
  • 100 cubic inch displacement engine
  • 2,700 pound bare tractor weight
  • Tier IV emission paraphernalia NOT required
BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR THE SECOND TIME​

I believe FEL Pallet Forks will do everything you wish a grapple to do on 12 acres at 1/3 the cost and 1/3 the complexity.

I have had almost no issues with my two Kubota's over the years.
I buy enough tractor so I am not beating it during normal operation.
I keep the tractor options as simple as possible.

TRACTOR PALLET FORK VIDEOS:

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_192.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_192.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 511

Last edited:
   / B2601, LX2610SU, or ? #6  
The B2601 is a little bit smaller then the LX2610(which replaced the B2650).

The B2601 with R4 or turf tires is only about 48-50" wide which is not much wider then your JD.

If the 2305 was a good fit then the B2601 is only slightly larger and should work well for you. I have a B2620 (predecessor to the B2601) and I find it an excellent size for the jobs you described, very maneuverable but strong for its size.

I run a 4ft rotary cutter to maintain the wooded ares on a couple properties and it is great for getting around in the tight areas between trees but still has decent ground clearance.

/ B2601, LX2610SU, or ? #7  
I’m pretty sold on Kubotas and if I gather right the B2601 is being replaced with the LX2610 so the are very similar.
The B2601 is not being replaced by the LX. What happened is over the years the B tractor series grew and the tractors grew. Kubota ended up with "small Bs" and "big Bs." So it split the big Bs off as Lxs.

I made my B2601 wider by ordering 3" wheel spacers put on when I ordered it. The safety increase far outweighs any access downside. But I am in extreme hill country. If my land were flat, it'd be a little less important to me. Going to a bigger tractor, you probably should just accept that your woods trails should be a tad wider.

/ B2601, LX2610SU, or ? #8  
They had the B2601 (small B) and B2650 (big B) in the lineup. Different sizes but not that different to be honest. The B2650 became the LX2610 -- just a name change and some minor tweaks. The B2601 soldiers on as before.

/ B2601, LX2610SU, or ? #9  
Recycled:

When considering a tractor purchase bare tractor weight first, tractor horsepower second, rear axle width third, rear wheel/tire ballast fourth.

When considering a tractor purchase bare tractor weight first

• LX = 1,860
  • L2501 = 2,623
Sufficient tractor weight is more important for most tractor applications than increased tractor horsepower.

tractor horsepower second

• LX2610 = 24.8/ 77 cubic inch engine
  • L2501 = 24.8/100 cubic inch engine

rear axle width third
(minimum tread width with R1/ag tires)
  • LX = 53.7"
  • L2501 = 55.1"

rear wheel/tire ballast fourth

• YES for LX
  • MAYBE for L2501

VIDEOS:

Last edited:
   / B2601, LX2610SU, or ? #10  
LX2610 or L2501 seem like the best fit. Check your clearances and turn around radius needs..that might help you decide. They are both capable machines. The LX is a more premium tractor with creature comforts than the standard L. Go sit on the both, see what you like. Just dont get on a Grand L...or you might come home with alot less money.