Comparison B2601 vs. LX2610

/ B2601 vs. LX2610 #21  
Non-commercial flails used on rough cut areas are problematic. Easy to bend a rotor and blade changes expensive. Tall grass is difficult to cut with a flail and the PTO HP of a LX2610 is less than 20. Tall grass much more difficult cutting vs weeds. Even a light duty rotary cutter will chop a cement block with minor issues.

I tried 3 small tractors with near 20 PTO HP on a 50 inch Ford 917 flail in excellent condition. None had the power to mow 12 inch grass. The PTO HP of a HST tractor is substantially less than the engine HP.

Sounds more and more you need an L tractor in 30 HP range.

/ B2601 vs. LX2610 #22  
Non-commercial flails used on rough cut areas are problematic. Easy to bend a rotor and blade changes expensive. Tall grass is difficult to cut with a flail and the PTO HP of a LX2610 is less than 20. Tall grass much more difficult cutting vs weeds. Even a light duty rotary cutter will chop a cement block with minor issues.

I tried 3 small tractors with near 20 PTO HP on a 50 inch Ford 917 flail in excellent condition. None had the power to mow 12 inch grass. The PTO HP of a HST tractor is substantially less than the engine HP.

Sounds more and more you need an L tractor in 30 HP range.

Bingo.

SDT

/ B2601 vs. LX2610 #23  
The Woodmaxx 60" flail works well behind my L2501 and cuts down tall grass and weeds SO much better than the 5' rotary cutter I was using before. See for yourself, Messicks recently did a video comparing a zero turn, rotary cutter, and flail mower behind a LX2610 (or B2650) cutting tall grass. MOWER COMPETITION - Flail VS. Rotary Cutter VS. Zero Turn - YouTube
I'm sure the Woodmaxx is a non-commercial unit but it seems very well built running 3 self adjusting drive belts and while it weighs 650# the fact it's more compact allows the small L to handle it with ease. Flail Mowers for Sale | FM-62 Flail Mower | Flail Mower 62" | Finish mower - WoodMaxx
My previous B2650 struggled a little with the weight and length of the 60" medium duty rotary cutter, a light duty 60" or 48-54" medium duty would have been better, but I believe it would handle the 60" Woodmaxx flail I have ok.

/ B2601 vs. LX2610 #24  
Old thread but still relevant. Regarding the comment about the mower competition by Messicks. Neil also had a video posted about this flail mower (has since been taken down) where a hidden chunk of wood was hit, wedged in and damaged the mower.