B2620HST: hydraulic filter vs transmission filter confusion

/ B2620HST: hydraulic filter vs transmission filter confusion #1  

KillerBeagle

Tractor
Kubota
I am trying to do a 200 hour service on my B2620 and I'm getting confused about the relationship of the transmission filter, the hydraulic filter, and the hydraulic fluid. The manual shows a 200 hour service interval for the transmission filter, with accompanying drain plugs. It also shows a 400 hour service for the hydraulic filter and fluid, with a different set of drain plugs. Yet the two systems share one filler port and one dipstick.

I changed both filters and the fluid when I first got the (used) tractor, because I wanted to switch to Super UDT-2. It made a big difference in the transmission whine. This time, though, I don't really want to change all the fluid if necessary.

How can I service the transmission filter without draining all of the hydraulic fluid? Is there some hidden separation between the transmission and hydraulic system, even though they share the same filler and dipstick.

/ B2620HST: hydraulic filter vs transmission filter confusion #2  
Right or wrong, I change them both at the 400 hour interval. I have a little over 1800 hours on mine & everything seems ok to me.

/ B2620HST: hydraulic filter vs transmission filter confusion #3  
Have your new filter ready..........make the change as quickly as possible.....You will lose some fluid, but not that much.

Cheers,
Mike

/ B2620HST: hydraulic filter vs transmission filter confusion #4  
I had mine changed at about 50 hours and then did it myself at 250 hours.
After that, I change both at the longer interval. (600 hrs) - but then I always warm the tractor up before using and do not work it real hard....just real often.

I prefer to take my time with changing the filters. The first time I did the job I found that the threaded pipe that the flter threads onto was loose in the housing. That was probably the result of the dealership mechanic who does use the "change it fast" technique. He also uses new untrained mechanics to do the routine servicing on tractors. He finds that to be good training - and it is for him and them.....

I've heard of using a vacuum cleaner to put a negative pressure on the fill port while changihg the filters. I may try that but before doing so would make sure it had some sort of bypass so as not to starve the vacuum for cooling air. Burning up a vacuum cleaner to save on fluid costs strikes me as poor thinking.

Frankly, all the tricks sound to me like as much trouble as they are worth. I agree that some trans/hydraulic fluids make the system sound different than others. Super UDT2 is fairly quiet, but what sound there is has a high pitch. In my Kubota, the quietest fluid so far is Ambra Multi G 134. It's a commercial trans-hydraulic fluid sold by New Holland.
I'm not sure at all that being quieter is the same as being best for long life, but my ears appreciate it.
rScotty