B7500 & Single axle trailer

/ B7500 & Single axle trailer #11  
I think this is the weight analysis you need to work through:

First, figure out the max load you can carry on the trailer. To do this:

Find the Trailer GVW - This is the max combined weight rating of the trailer itself plus the load you put on it (e.g. your B7500 w/ loader). It will be on the nameplate for the trailer. Do NOT go by axle ratings. You probably can't tell what the axle rating is anyway by just looking at it, and the tires have to be able to carry the load as well so go by the nameplate GVW, not a number that you or someone else makes up.

Find the weight of your trailer itself when empty - This is critical and is often very difficult to find out. I've always called the manufacturer to ask them and too often even they don't know or they say something like "oh it's probably 1600 lbs". That's a red flag. Don't rely on the dealer either unless you see him/her look it up in a book.

Calculate the trailer's Max Load Capacity: Subtract the Trailer weight from the GVW to get the max load capacity. This is the max weight you can put on your trailer without overloading the trailer. Why trailer manufacturers don't publish this number is beyond me. Your tractor, implements, and other stuff must have to weigh less than this max.

Figure out what your tractor weights: This too can take some digging. Be sure to include the tractor, loader, bucket, and other implements, and ballast if your tires are loaded. If this weight is more than the
Max Load Capacity of the trailer, then stop now and go find a larger trailer.

Now, figure out what your car/truck (I'll just refer to it as a car for simplicity) can tow. This will be specified in the car's owner's manual. It will be a max GVW for the trailer typically, but sometimes there will be both a trailer GVW number, and a combined car/trailer GVW number, and you are not allowed to exceed EITHER one. The point is that you can't load the back of your car with cement, then tow the max weight as the same time. You get to do one or the other, but not both. Anyway, if the Trailer's GVW is less than you car's towable GVW, then the trailer is the weak link and you can focus on not overloading that. If the car's towable GVW is lower then the car is the weak link and it will limit the load you can carry on your trailer. In this case the combined weigh of the trailer itself plus your trailer load cannot exceed the tow capacity of the car.

Here are some other subtleties to consider: The bigger the trailer the more it weighs. A single axle 12' trailer with a 3500 lb GVW will only have slightly less carrying capacity that a 16' tandom axle 5000lb GVW trailer since the larger trailer itself will be significanly heavier. You also need much more tow capacity in your car to pull the bigger trailer, even with the exact same load on board.

Many states have a cut off at 3000 GVW for brake requirements. 3000lbs or over and you need brakes, under and you don't. As a result, there are lots of trailers that have GVW rating of 2990 lbs to just squeek under the wire. Check you state for regulations. In some states, trailers seem to be a complete free for all.

I used to have a 12" trailer with a 2990 lb GVW and it weighed 600 lbs. This gave me a 2390 lb carrying capacity. I carried a tractor which weighed around 2200lbs. My tow car could pull 3300 lbs so all was fine, but just made it. The trailer was the weak link. I actually had to search long and hard to find the trailer that weighted only 600 lbs. Most weighed 1400 or so and consequently had a carrying capacity of only 1590 lbs which was not enough.

I now have a 16' 7000 lbs GVW trailer that weighs 1600 lbs giving 5400lbs of carrying capacity for the trailer. However, my new tow car can pull 5000 lbs trailer GVW and this limits my trailer carrying load to 3400 lbs. The car is now the weak link. I have a much bigger and heavier trailer, stronger tow car, and I only gained 1000lbs in carrying capacity.

It's well worth running the numbers to see what you really need.

/ B7500 & Single axle trailer #12  
Radman, we all knew you meant feet, not inches! Still fun teasin' though! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Typo's? Nah...it was all that stupid keyboards fault! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif It just hasn't learned to type what you meant! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ B7500 & Single axle trailer #13  
Peter,

Excellent information. Thank you!

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ B7500 & Single axle trailer #14  
Peter,

Another point worth mentioning is the hitch weight and rating. You can have a class III hitch on the car where the car is actually capable of 5000lbs GVW tow load and 500lbs hitch load. The single axle 3500lbs 12' trail is within this hitch capacity however improperly loaded can far exceed the hitch ratings. The tandem has more leaway for adjusting the load to safe towing capacity. In any case don't overlook the hitch load when comparing GVW's.

Tow safely,
Michael

/ B7500 & Single axle trailer #15  
very well put. i have a chart that shows all 50 states laws and regulations on towing i am going to try and scan it for all of you.

/ B7500 & Single axle trailer #16  
I used to have a dual axle car trailer and guess what? I got a flat tire twice. Sure was glad to have that extra tire on each side.

/ B7500 & Single axle trailer #17  
Good point. Yet another dimension in case anyone thought it was going to be easy.

All this is why many people take the approach of "get a big truck and a big trailer and then you are all set". It does simplify things.

/ B7500 & Single axle trailer #18  
Well Im going to put the single axle up for sale and see if I can get some of these inflated northern Va prices for it. I found a place in bristol Tn that will sell me a 6and half ' by 16' for a little less than $700 with ramps. Thats about $500 cheaper than around here/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif. He said they would put old tires on it or I can pay extra for new ones. The way I found it was a friend went there and bought 2 then sold the other one and said he come out about a $100 ahead. CAnt afford 2 so I will just sell my old one and then go get the other. Also the wife is in full agreement, So the odds are in my favor /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

2001 B7500 HST 302 Fel R4 Tires, Befco BRB60
Semper Fidelis

/ B7500 & Single axle trailer #19  
Devildog:

I did the same sort of thing when I went to California and picked up my tractor from my Father-in-law last year. Bought a new 16' trailer at the factory in Carson CA for just under $1K, hauled the Kubota back here to WV, turned around and sold the trailer to a guy in Leesburg for $1,500 which was a couple hundred under the local going rate.

Looks like I could have made out even better if I'd bought the trailer in Bristol TN on my way out to California but I don't think I would have wanted to haul an empty trailer all that way.

18-32378-billanim.gif

/ B7500 & Single axle trailer #20  
Jim,

Please post the address and phone # of that TN trailer dealer...

Do I understand correctly... new dual axle, 6.5' x 16' 7K trailer for $700.? Also single or dual brakes?

If so, I'm headed to Nashville for some country music and a new trailer... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

18-35196-JDMFWDSigJFM.JPG