Back ordered equipment or parts?

/ Back ordered equipment or parts? #11  
The port situation in CA is getting better with the backlog down by about a third in the past few weeks. There’s still a lot to unwind but they’re making good progress. Intel and Nvidia also see the global chip shortage normalizing by 2023, so assuming we don’t get all hysterical and intentionally shoot ourselves in the foot again we’ll maybe see things getting back to normal this time next year.

/ Back ordered equipment or parts? #12  
Wonder if Briggs declaring bankruptcy had anything to do with the delays?
Briggs was having parts availability issues all the way back to October 2017 which they didn't try to explain until March of 2018 and tried to blame it on a software update and that issue wasn't resolved until around October of 2018. Parts supply issues started returning in late 2019 before covid. And Briggs then announced that they were going to sell off the Mower divisions of the company and keeps the portable generator and engine market in March 2020 but held onto it until they filed for bankruptcy in late 2020 citing covid as the cause.

They will try to blame the bankruptcy and Covid but things were in trouble long before those events.

/ Back ordered equipment or parts? #13  
Briggs was having parts availability issues all the way back to October 2017 which they didn't try to explain until March of 2018 and tried to blame it on a software update and that issue wasn't resolved until around October of 2018. Parts supply issues started returning in late 2019 before covid. And Briggs then announced that they were going to sell off the Mower divisions of the company and keeps the portable generator and engine market in March 2020 but held onto it until they filed for bankruptcy in late 2020 citing covid as the cause.

They will try to blame the bankruptcy and Covid but things were in trouble long before those events.
Bankruptcy doesn’t happen overnight. They had to be struggling for several years before the actual court filings.

There’s no doubt that the issues as far back as 2017 were directly related to their deteriorating financial condition at the time. When there’s no cash in the till, cutbacks start across the board. When the cuts are insufficient, bankruptcies happen to give the company breathing room, but sometimes that’s not enough either, and the doors close.

/ Back ordered equipment or parts? #14  
@finn1 It most likely started with the bankruptcy purchase of Murray in 2005 with the intention of recovering their $34 million that was owed, shortly after their purchase of Simplicity. Which is ironic because B-D purchased Excel group about a month after completing their purchase of MTD. So I wonder if they will go the same path.

A lot of people have been after me to build a new shop for my business, but the reality has been that every small engine business in my area that has built a new building has went out of business within 5 years.

/ Back ordered equipment or parts? #15  
I tried to order a replacement garage door earlier this year. Went through Home Depot. They charged me the full amount then ordered the site inspection. The inspector said frame needed upgrade. They charged me for the full amount for that.

Several days later they informed me the door arrival to the installer would be at least 4 months out and the installer would schedule according to their convenience.

I cancelled the order and repaired my old one myself.

I had already purchased a heavier opener for the heavier door. I had a broken spring and got a pair of those through Home Depot in a few days.

My old door has never operated as smooth and quiet as it does now. Total out of pocket was about $300.

Total for the new 18' wide insulated door was near $4000.

I should probably go ahead and insulate my door.

/ Back ordered equipment or parts? #16  
I have been waiting for 6 weeks now to get the furnace in my garage working. My repairman's supplier has no idea when the parts will show up. The burners are showing signs of wear, but the but the Reznor furnace is only 23 years old.

I think I will have him put the old parts back in so we can have heat while we wait for the new parts to come in.

I have been doing industrial hibachi for almost 30 years. Burners in a Rez or do not show signs of wear. Find a new contractor

/ Back ordered equipment or parts? #17  
Last Friday, during our annual Black Friday shopping spree visiting tractor salvage yards looking for parts, we stopped at M.E. Miller Tire in Millersburg, OH. One of the guys was looking for a new set of front tires, for one of his old John Deere's, which he did get. The parking lot which holds probably 35-40 vehicles was packed. Standing room only in the sales/waiting room. 3 salesmen working the counter, and all busy writing up sales orders.

Mike inquired about a set of rears, salesman said they had them, but better get them, or get them soon, as tire makers are halting production of larger tires. Seems manufacturers are having a hard time getting raw materials for making tires, so halting production of big tires, to make auto/pick-up, and large truck tires. They told him several farmers had called about a new combine tire, but can't get them. Best bet was to find used.

I live about 30 miles from the Kenworth Truck assembly plant at Chillicothe, OH. Trucks are setting everywhere, waiting on chips from China. It's to the point they are buying property, and putting down stone to park trucks. A buddy just retired from there, and his son still works there. They told me homeless are breaking into the trucks with sleepers, and living in them.

/ Back ordered equipment or parts? #18  
...tire makers are halting production of larger tires. Seems manufacturers are having a hard time getting raw materials for making tires, so halting production of big tires, to make auto/pick-up, and large truck tires. ...
Coke did this with diet sodas, and some of their other products that didn't sell as well as regular Coke. A client of mine is a VP for them, and she said that they had to cut production because they are struggling with getting shipments. I forget what it was that they couldn't get, but I think part of it was with making the cans, but also some of the ingredients.

Your post about the tires has me wondering if other companies are also do this?

It's taken me 3 weeks to find small coffee cup filters. Lots of the big filters, but nobody had the small ones until the other day.

/ Back ordered equipment or parts?
I can’t find Diesel engine oil easily anymore.
My Cummins takes 5&1/2 gallons.
WalMart-nothing
Napa-couple miscellaneous gallons of Delo
Auto Zone-only had “STP” diesel oil
Finally went to a tractor dealer and got a 5G pail of Rotella T-4 10W40 [correction 15W-40] at a pretty high price and 2 quarts.

Cant wait to hoist a 5 G pail up 4 feet to fill tractor…. :rolleyes:
NAPA store told me Shell Rotella back ordered until January!

Last edited:
   / Back ordered equipment or parts? #20  
You don't have a Tractor Supply store near you?