Back up Generators - finally looking.

/ Back up Generators - finally looking. #51  
In the heart of Earthquake and so far gas is never been affected even in the big 1989 quake where power out for a week...

Utility has been going into older neighborhood replacing old underground with a PEX type gas line...

/ Back up Generators - finally looking. #52  
Sometimes you have to laugh.

So our outage yesterday was eight hours or so. I walked the lines and found two out of the three phases had blown fuses, and let the power company know. I didn't see any downed wires.

What I missed was that two of the three wires were wound around each other. Time to have my eyes checked I guess.

Apparently, there was a well cooked turkey under the wrapped wires. As best the lineman could figure it, the turkey came in for a landing and swung one wire into the other and the momentum kept the wires wrapping. Just for the record, I have never seen turkeys roosting on our wires. In the trees, all the time.

You just never know what is going to take out the power.

The batteries worked great, and even in January, they charged up during the day while running the house.

YMMV...

All the best,

Peter

/ Back up Generators - finally looking. #53  
"The cost per kW from a generator far exceeds the cost per kW from the utility."

For sure but the comfort provided is priceless.
With my 10 KW (gas powered) I can sit out an outage while watching TV and using the net.
With a few ceramic cube heaters I keep warm and have water and flush the loo.
We use a hot plate to cook, run the microwave oven but best is we save the fridge load and many $$'s in the freezer.
Not luxury but decent survival mode.

Actually the food savings far outweigh and fuel costs.

/ Back up Generators - finally looking. #54  
For sure but the comfort provided is priceless.

Agreed. That is why I have a 22kW, full auto, whole house generator.

Here is an example. Several weeks ago, I'm away from the house. My wife calls and says the power went off and the generator is running. She also says that she was in the middle of baking christmas cookies and was drying clothes and wanted to know what to do. I chucked and said just keep baking and restart the drier. You are good to go!!

/ Back up Generators - finally looking. #55  
Maybe it's marketing and consumers not doing the math?

We all know folks that run mowers until it seizes never once checking oil let alone changing or not mixing fuel for two stroke.

Maybe thinking an automatic generator is like an automatic water heater... years of service never lifting a finger?

Add to that doing the math so no fuel shock so it is purposeful when running non-stop for days.

I have two generator stories.

First happened hears ago in Oakland known to me because I know the contractor that rebuilt the home after it burned... family away on vacation and combustibles stored too close.

The other was told to me and fairly recent and it was about cost to run...

Large propane unit for a cabin because owner wanted to to do everything and ran until tank emptied and the water heater froze/ruptured... all the previous years propane water heater never froze left on pilot and full tank never emptied.

/ Back up Generators - finally looking. #56  
Just helped the neighbor with gas for her little generator. He husband has just had a procedure where he cannot do much for 5 days.

The generator is a little bitty thing by McCullough with a Honda engine. Took me a bit to figure everything out. Gotta choke it to start it: a little hooked wire thing to pull. Told her to turn the fuel off when finished with it to run the fuel out of the carb. Not sure she understands that. Then went with her to get about 24 gallons of gasoline in her BMW X3. All new to her.

Thing started (pull start) right away when choke pulled out.

They just plug a couple things into the generator. Not sure what kw it is, probably only about 2.

/ Back up Generators - finally looking. #57  
TBN folks tend to be the helpful neighbors no matter where we live...

/ Back up Generators - finally looking. #58  
My step son was in a car accident and he is now confined to a wheel chair. He was using a portable generator for back up power but that is no longer an option for him. Wife wants to buy him a whole house standby generator and run it from the 500 gal propane tank that is there. I am still working on sizing it, which will depend on if she also decides to give him central AC as the house is in NC. My question is, do folks have recommended brands we should be looking at, or brands to avoid. My neighbor in Maine just installed a Kohler standby unit and it is LOUD, it drowns out all the other generators in the neighborhood when it is running. So Kohler is off my list unless someone knows this might be just one bad model. I don't know what model he installed. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

/ Back up Generators - finally looking. #59  
Our local utility (PG&E) is offering rebates of up to $1,200 for back up generators, so I am looking into that. It looks like most brands qualify- the list is very long. I am considering a dual fuel whole house back up system - likely Generac. I will be making calls today to see what installation will cost, getting recommendations, or if DIY is an option. Running the well when we don't have power is a prime concern (1.5 HP down at 420'). I have a 5500 W Troybilt gas unit that has worked out well when needed to keep fridge and freezer, lights and such going. Likely that I can get information from a local electrician as to what I need and cost, but this is usually my initial go-to stop.
We have not, historically, lost power that often, but now they are shutting things down proactively for weather or fire issues. Suggestions?
Do you weld? I'd get a Bobcat or Ranger, prie is going to be similar to a quality 5500W unit but has ~11+KW:p

/ Back up Generators - finally looking. #60  
My step son was in a car accident and he is now confined to a wheel chair. He was using a portable generator for back up power but that is no longer an option for him. Wife wants to buy him a whole house standby generator and run it from the 500 gal propane tank that is there. I am still working on sizing it, which will depend on if she also decides to give him central AC as the house is in NC. My question is, do folks have recommended brands we should be looking at, or brands to avoid. My neighbor in Maine just installed a Kohler standby unit and it is LOUD, it drowns out all the other generators in the neighborhood when it is running. So Kohler is off my list unless someone knows this might be just one bad model. I don't know what model he installed. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
no standby generator that is in the size to handle an entire house is quiet, unless you go to a liquid cooled unit. a liquid cooled 22kw generac is pretty dang quiet compared to an air cooled 22 kw, but its also about $6k more.

theres a long delay in even getting generators right now. personally i dont mind that my generac 2 kw is a bit noisy, because i sure like the comfort of having power.

that being said, if his house is all gas and only needs a unit around 13kw in size, there alot quieter than the 22 kw series. generac used to have a nice 11kw that was pretty quiet, but its been phased out. the 10 kw which is supposed to replace it is only a single cylinder unit, and personally i feel thats a detriment.

ive installed a few kohlers over the years, and there about the same noise level as the generac. i have no idea whose unit is better.

winco has some real nice, quiet units, but be ready to spend some serious $$$$