Backbreaker, Mankiller, Widow-maker

/ Backbreaker, Mankiller, Widow-maker #1  

Glowplug

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040HD
. . .I don't care what you call it. But a push type rototiller is a pain in the *****. It probably doesn't help too much that mine has a slightly bent shaft. I was out trying to till our vegetable garden yesterday evening. Probably got a couple thousand square feet done. It almost killed me!! The tiller is probably about 30" wide. I DEFINATELY want to get a 3ph rototiller now! I just wish they weren't so darned expensive. I really would like to get something about 7' wide to cover the rears. The big names like Kuhn and Howard are like $7,000 minimum. I've looked at some of the "grey market" tillers, but even they are about $3,000 is that size. It's virtually impossible to find used rototillers. I wish I had a neighbor that owned a dependable 7' PTO-driven rototiller.

I guess I don't really have a question. Just whining a little.

/ Backbreaker, Mankiller, Widow-maker #2  
I've had the same 3.5hp front tine rototiller for over 42 years! I'm sick of it! But it works. And I'm amazed when it starts and runs every year.

I've been looking at King Kutter, everybody here seems to like them.

Mike

/ Backbreaker, Mankiller, Widow-maker #3  
Check here if you think you'd like to buy a new one: CCM Gear Drive Rotary Tillers

$2350 for an 82" with 100hp gearbox doesn't seem bad at all.

/ Backbreaker, Mankiller, Widow-maker #4  
   / Backbreaker, Mankiller, Widow-maker
shvl73 said:
Check here if you think you'd like to buy a new one: CCM Gear Drive Rotary Tillers

$2350 for an 82" with 100hp gearbox doesn't seem bad at all.

Yeah, I've looked at that very one! I think the 90" one is a bit too big. Do you know if CCM delivers or would I need to go down to Tennessee and pick it up?

I have also checked out SweetTractors on the internet. At least they're within driving distance of me.

/ Backbreaker, Mankiller, Widow-maker #6  
CCM just shipped an MR190 (72") to me in Kansas. I tilled 8 acres for a prairie grass restoration as well as garden space with it in the last two weeks. The 8 acres was already plowed and disced. The garden is new and was breaking sod . . . works well.

/ Backbreaker, Mankiller, Widow-maker #7  
Just mount the old tiller to your 3pt!!! Beat that sucker for a while!!

/ Backbreaker, Mankiller, Widow-maker #8  
RobJ said:
Just mount the old tiller to your 3pt!!! Beat that sucker for a while!!

Better yet, use that fancy grapple and just lock the tiller to on, grab it with the grapple and use the tractor to push it around! ;)

/ Backbreaker, Mankiller, Widow-maker #9  
Glowplug said:
Yeah, I've looked at that very one! I think the 90" one is a bit too big. Do you know if CCM delivers or would I need to go down to Tennessee and pick it up?

I have also checked out SweetTractors on the internet. At least they're within driving distance of me.

Sweet tractors has a good rep here on TBN as well, definitley check them out. I have a First Choice tiller and it works very well. I believe most of the dealers will ship them, if needed.

/ Backbreaker, Mankiller, Widow-maker #10  
You want to truly get the s#$% kicked out of you try an old Gravely with a "rotary Plow" on the front.

I have a video of me geting tossed around trying to break sod with it. I wish I knew how to post it here.

My dad used to have me plow the garden with it when I was 12 and about 75 pounds. Twice I hit rocks and the handlebars kicked up and broke ribs.