Backhoe Pump Deadheaded???

/ Backhoe Pump Deadheaded??? #1  

elkmtngear

Tractor
Jinma 554
Rookie operator here. Checked the direction of flow on LW6 backhoe's pump before hooking up to my Jinma 554, by putting a clear tubing filled with fluid, on the outlet ports of the pump. Had to cross the lines to hook up correctly (suction side = large hose). See Image #1

After pressurization, hydraulic fluid is flowing (rapidly) out of the circled area in Image #2 (could someone tell me what this pipe's name and function is)? I'm assuming it's some sort of overflow valve.

Valve under the seat is completely screwed down tight. Tractor never had this leak, until I hooked up the hoe.

Wondering how I would locate a new seal for this pump, and if that would solve the problem? Thanks in advance.

pump.jpg

distributor.jpg

/ Backhoe Pump Deadheaded??? #2  
First, I admit I have never worked on a Chinese tractor or backhoe attachment.

It looks like your hoe is using a PTO pump, according to your first photo. Your second shows a pipe connected to what looks like your tractor's sump. The 2 systems' hydraulics should be independent. If you connect your hoe backwards, and run it, you can blow a seal in the hoe valve.

That said, it looks like the pipe in your 2nd photo is some kind of tank vent, as you said. But it uses a hi-pressure hardline and banjo fitting. Strange.

Last edited:
   / Backhoe Pump Deadheaded???
You're correct dfkrug, it's a pto pump on the rear of the tractor. Since they are supposed to be independent (the pto pump is supposed to use the backhoe sump)...I'm assuming that the seal on the pto pump must have blown, and is pressurizing the tractor sump?

/ Backhoe Pump Deadheaded??? #4  
You're correct dfkrug, it's a pto pump on the rear of the tractor. Since they are supposed to be independent (the pto pump is supposed to use the backhoe sump)...I'm assuming that the seal on the pto pump must have blown, and is pressurizing the tractor sump?

But they are not connected hydraulically at all.

Is the oil coming out the vent foamy or milky?

But they are not connected hydraulically at all.

Is the oil coming out the vent foamy or milky?

I would say definitely "milky".

/ Backhoe Pump Deadheaded??? #6  
elkmtngear;5504914....... said:
by putting a clear tubing filled with fluid, on the outlet ports of the pump.
View attachment 616905

I'm wondering where you found a clear tubing that would stand up to hydraulic fluid and output pressure?

elkmtngear;5504914....... said:
by putting a clear tubing filled with fluid, on the outlet ports of the pump.
View attachment 616905

I'm wondering where you found a clear tubing that would stand up to hydraulic fluid and output pressure?

It was like clear PVC (very stout)...I just looped it between the ports, and used radiator hose clamps.

/ Backhoe Pump Deadheaded??? #8  
It was like clear PVC (very stout)...I just looped it between the ports, and used radiator hose clamps.

You be careful. I doubt it is stout enough. Most PVC clear tubing is rated at a few hundred pounds pressure at most..and the rating goes down rapidly with heat.
..... And hydraulic fluid gets real hot real fast. Also, radiator hose clamps ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH!
I'm an engineer. I only know of one high pressure hose that is clear, and it isn't near good enough for your system.

Your PTO pump is probably putting out somewhere between 1500 and 2000 psi. A small leak will cause that fluid slice slice through your flesh like a water jet cutter.
You can't see it coming and nobody is fast enough to get out of the way.
It sounds to me like the way you are going about this is just way too incredibly dangerous. Lets talk about it.
rScotty

You can't see it coming and nobody is fast enough to get out of the way.
It sounds to me like the way you are going about this is just way too incredibly dangerous. Lets talk about it.
rScotty

Point taken. I just ran it for maybe a minute, to see the direction of flow (I had read that some of these Chinese pumps could be built "reversed"). I won't try it again.

/ Backhoe Pump Deadheaded??? #10  
elkmtn,
Where is the pump inlet hose connected for the back hoe pump? If connected to a reservoir on the back hoe then all of the lines on the back hoe should remain connected to the hoe. If one is the the hoe and the other to the tractor you will over fill one reservoir and drain the other.

If connected to the sump or reservoir on the tractor then the return or tank line from the back hoe must also be connected to the tractor sump preferably below oil level and as far away as possible from the pump inlet.

Returning oil above the oil level can cause foaming and aerate the oil.

Another potential problem is the back hoe pump flow rate vs the sump size of your tractor. To much flow rate can also cause aeration - foaming of the oil.