Backhoe Pump Deadheaded???

/ Backhoe Pump Deadheaded???
Reservoir and hoses are all connected to the backhoe (only) from the pump

elkmtn,
Where is the pump inlet hose connected for the back hoe pump? If connected to a reservoir on the back hoe then all of the lines on the back hoe should remain connected to the hoe.

Inlet and outlet hoses are coming from the backhoe (only). It has it's own reservoir (filled it before I started).

/ Backhoe Pump Deadheaded??? #14  
Have you used the PTO for other implements or is this the first time running the PTO?

Have you used the PTO for other implements or is this the first time running the PTO?

I ran a posthole digger off the regular PTO shaft, but this is the first time I've tried running this pump off the accessory pto

/ Backhoe Pump Deadheaded??? #16  
I would say definitely "milky".

Oh-oh, water in the oil.

This is probably unrelated to your PTO pump system. Water got into the sump, possibly from a torn shifter boot, and the volume of oil/water is such that it overflows when operating the loader.

This photo shows what came out of the shifter boot when I ran an old neglected Kubota I picked up this summer.

Attachments

• overflow_2.jpg
    overflow_2.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 66
Oh-oh, water in the oil.

Probably impossible. This Tractor is stored in my Workshop Year Round, and is never left out in the weather. Like I mentioned earlier, I never had this leak until I hooked up the backhoe. It seems the "milkyness" could be from air pressure (possibly from the pto pump)?

/ Backhoe Pump Deadheaded??? #18  
Oh-oh, water in the oil.

This is probably unrelated to your PTO pump system. Water got into the sump, possibly from a torn shifter boot, and the volume of oil/water is such that it overflows when operating the loader.

Yep, that looks typical. When water mixes with the oil you always get an emulsion that looks like milk after it gets stirred up. The color can range from dark chocolate milk to as white as your picture....but that's water sure enough. I've wondered if the peculiar milkiness is due to the detergents in modern oil.

Trans/hydraulic oil doesn't see any combustion and there isn't much inside a tractor to contaminate it. Generally it should look the same after 1000 hrs as it did new.

And yes, the shifter boot is the prime offender. It's crazy that they aren't better sealed. Also, if you have milky trans/hydraulic fluid you may also find water in the steering box at the base of the steering column. Water can enter the center of the steering wheel nut and fill up that steering column until it eventually makes it past the bearing seal into the steering box.

Both problems are so simple to avoid by simply putting a tarp over the tractor when it is left outside. That's all it takes.
rScotty

Both problems are so simple to avoid by simply putting a tarp over the tractor when it is left outside. That's all it takes.
rScotty

Like I said, Tractor is never left out in the weather, and hasn't been run in the rain for that matter. I've been using the FEL and the posthole digger all Summer (and it's been a dry Summer). This symptom only occurred when I hooked up the PTO pump and backhoe.

/ Backhoe Pump Deadheaded??? #20  
99% of pumps can only rotate one direction,,
rotating the pump the opposite direction will cause the pump to blow the seal at the input shaft,,
The pump can be an exact replacement, but speced for the wrong rotation,, and you have a problem.
Some pumps can have the rotation changed by the user,,, by flipping some part of the pump.

Also, if the inlet and outlet to the control valve are swapped at the time of connection, the pump will have no relief valve, and the seal at the pump will blow.

Having the correct pump (rotation) and having the correct fluid direction flow is critical,, do not guess,,,