Backhoes and loaded tires

/ Backhoes and loaded tires #1  

Notforhire

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L47TLB
I just brought home my BT1000B backhoe and I'm getting ready to install it on my L47.
Looking through the owners manual that came with the backhoe, I discovered this ballast warning.

"While BT1000B backhoe is installed on the tractor, liquid ballast in the rear tires should be removed."

My first thought was that Kubota was worried that the weight of the backhoe would damage the wheel/tire because of the reduced air cushion.

However if that's the case, wouldn't the same condition exist if the backhoe was off and I picked up an equally heavy object with the 3 point hitch?
The backhoe weighs approximately 1,700 lbs.
The 3 point hitch capacity is 3,860 lbs.

The only other mention of not having liquid ballast I could find, was in the loader section, (where they were recommending rear ballast). There was a note that read;

"When mounting a heavy rear implement, liquid in the tires may not be required."

I can understand why I probably don't need liquid ballast with the backhoe mounted.
But I can't understand what the downside is to leaving the tires loaded. :confused2:

Thoughts?

/ Backhoes and loaded tires #2  
The tires on my M59 are loaded. The weight rides on the ground so I don’t see the problem. I’ve never operated the machine without the fluid but I think it makes a lot of difference in stability.

/ Backhoes and loaded tires #3  
I wouldn’t give it a seconds thought. When you dismount the hoe you still have a ballasted functional tractor.

/ Backhoes and loaded tires #4  
I don't know for sure, but I always assumed it was because when you pick up the back end of the tractor with the stabilizers, they didn't want all that extra weight hanging at the ends of your rear axles.

/ Backhoes and loaded tires #5  
I don't know for sure, but I always assumed it was because when you pick up the back end of the tractor with the stabilizers, they didn't want all that extra weight hanging at the ends of your rear axles.

It’s a lot less stress on the axels vs driving normally.

/ Backhoes and loaded tires #6  
Congratulations on your new machine! They are a very robust TLBs. The FEL are particularly strong.

My manual says the same. No explanation. Dealers around here put fluid in everything. Be hurting a lot of their customers if they didn’t. No practical way for an owner to remove/replace liquid ballast routinely.

Always had to ballast tires on any tractor on our hillside farm. The used M59 TL came with ballast in the rear tires. Be pretty useless in 3pt mode without ballast. Still have to have a heavy rear implement to counterbalance the FEL. 1200# bush hog bouncing, swinging around further back must put similar stress. From an engineering prospective the weakest link looks to be the tire/ply weight rating. Proper pressure for best performance. Replaced the front with 12ply extra deep lug R4 tires and gallon of bulletproof sealant in each.

Ballasted and added rear wheel extensions to our B26 TLB for stability. Bulletproof sealant in fronts too.

Recently found and installed a BT1200 backhoe. No problem with the outriggers picking up the rear at idle with the front bucket down and weight off the front axle. The extra low weight is welcome. Impressed with the stability off-road abilities and traction. Like an old song, “if I’m wrong I don’t want to be right. “

/ Backhoes and loaded tires #7  
I foamed all 4 on my b26 tlb and its 12 yrs old with no issues. With out the foam I couldn't guess how many flat tires I would have had. And the 1000+ lbs helps all the time.

/ Backhoes and loaded tires #8  
When you use your backhoe many times the jacks are used with the rear tires off the ground. You now have an extra half ton weight being suspended so your by-design 2-4x factor of safety on components might now be 1.5-3x.

I didnt load my M59 tires and find the backhoe is more than satisfactory as a counterweight for any lift. If I only have a light implement like a blade the rear end gets light when lifting 3,000 pallets of wet sod off the back of a truck.

Personally I dont like leaky rusty rims which is why I didnt load them initially. My M59 with air filled tires is already a ton heavier than the TC55 it replaced and it lifts and pushes 2x more than the loaded TC55 ever could. After 5 years I dont miss having loaded tires.

/ Backhoes and loaded tires #9  
When you use your backhoe many times the jacks are used with the rear tires off the ground. You now have an extra half ton weight being suspended so your by-design 2-4x factor of safety on components might now be 1.5-3x.

When the tires are off the ground being held up by stabilizers you’ve got maybe a ton of tire and fluid hanging on the axle. And it’s just a static load. No bouncing, rolling, or side pressure. When the tire is in the ground you’ve got 3 tons of machine sitting on them shared between both of them.

/ Backhoes and loaded tires
I thank you all for your opinions. I think I'll ignore the warning and leave the tires loaded.

In anticipation of hooking up the backhoe I've removed my counterweight and the 3 point hitch components. This greatly reduces my FEL lifting capabilities. Without the loaded tires, I think the FEL would be about useless.
I'll find out today.

Murphy's law went into high gear yesterday.
I went to couple the backhoe up and I found that the coupling pins wouldn't go through the clevis. After an hour or two of trying to align the coupling, I decided to pull the tractor away from the backhoe and disconnect.

With the backhoe sitting all by itself I discovered that the locking pins won't go through their clevises! The holes are misaligned by about 1/4 inch!:shocked:
I wish I checked the alignment while it was still on the pallet, but I never dreamed that it would be necessary. So much for made in USA QC.

I called my salesman and I'm sure Kubota will make it right. It's just kind of a PITA having to repack everything and return it.

Without the 3 PH/ counterweight on my L47 I doubt I'll be able to load it on the trailer. Time to borrow my friends NH.

Thanks again for your opinions.

Attachments

• 100_1608.jpg
    100_1608.jpg
    912 KB · Views: 178
  • 100_1617.jpg
    100_1617.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 173