Backhoes and loaded tires

/ Backhoes and loaded tires #31  
I have an MX5800
I asked my Dealer about RimGaurd in my tires.
They told me as long as I have the Backhoe on the Tractor No RimGuard or extra Ballast
If I take the Backhoe off then I can ut RimGuard or extra Ballast on the Tractor.
I asked why.
They told me that on hills the Brakes were not strong enough to stop the Tractor and it could get out of Control.

I d not know if I believe them or not.
After my Warranty runs out I am going to put the RimGuard in the tires Because Where I am operating my tractor I have slight slopes and nothing where I would consider it unsafe to turn sharp where ever I am on my property with the exception to the dirt bridge that I built and while doing so I got to close to the edge and the Tractor started sliding sideways.
A Pucker factor of about a 9.9
I droped the FEL and the Backhoe at the same time while I was sliding and did not role it.
My feeling is if I would have had RimGuard in the tires it would have more than likely been more stable as I slid r maybe I would not have started sliding in the first place because of the lower center of gravity.

Be Safe in what you do

/ Backhoes and loaded tires #32  
S
I have an MX5800
They told me as long as I have the Backhoe on the Tractor No RimGuard or extra Ballast
If I take the Backhoe off then I can ut RimGuard or extra Ballast on the Tractor.
I asked why.
They told me that on hills the Brakes were not strong enough to stop the Tractor and it could get out of Control.

I d not know if I believe them or not.
After my Warranty runs out I am going to put the RimGuard in the tires Because Where I am operating my tractor I have slight slopes and nothing where I would consider it unsafe to turn sharp where ever I am on my property with the exception to the dirt bridge that I built and while doing so I got to close to the edge and the Tractor started sliding sideways.
A Pucker factor of about a 9.9
I droped the FEL and the Backhoe at the same time while I was sliding and did not role it.
My feeling is if I would have had RimGuard in the tires it would have more than likely been more stable as I slid r maybe I would not have started sliding in the first place because of the lower center of gravity.

Be Safe in what you do

Another uninformed dealer response.

/ Backhoes and loaded tires #33  
S

[BOLD]They told me that on hills the Brakes were not strong enough to stop the Tractor and it could get out of Control.[/BOLD]

Is vehicle weight and speed affecting stopping distance not part of the commercial truck and air brake license exams in NC?

/ Backhoes and loaded tires
Is vehicle weight and speed affecting stopping distance not part of the commercial truck and air brake license exams in NC?

I'm not sure that I understand what your getting at. Would you please explain further?

/ Backhoes and loaded tires #35  
I'm not sure that I understand what your getting at. Would you please explain further?

Part of the nature of TBN is thread drift, so you have to follow the bread crumbs ...

Your original question was addressed here:

I asked why.

Which got this response:

Thread drift begins here expanding on the discussion of vehicle braking power:

/ Backhoes and loaded tires #36  

manufacturers equip tractors with fixed drawbars designed to attach, pull and stop implements such as dump trailers capable of hauling the weight of the tractor and (in many cases more) without brakes on the implement. Do you really think adding liquid ballast to a tractor equipped with a backhoe will compromise the braking ability?

Last edited:
   / Backhoes and loaded tires #37  
Good point. My manure spreader was far more heavy and dangerous than any backhoe I have had. Pulling it without ballast in the tires would not be safe at all.

/ Backhoes and loaded tires #38  
manufacturers equip tractors with fixed drawbars designed to attach, pull and stop implements such as dump trailers capable of hauling the weight of the tractor and (in many cases more) without brakes on the implement. Do you really think adding liquid ballast to a tractor equipped with a backhoe will compromise the braking ability?
Ya. More weight means harder to stop for sure. But the weight of loaded tires & a hoe pales in comparison to a lot of trailers with no brakes that they are rated to tow.

/ Backhoes and loaded tires #39  
in 2012 I bought a L3540HSTC with a L724 FEL and a BH92 Backhoe. Both or oversized for the tractor. Also got loaded R1 tires, not as heavy as R4's, also 165 lbs of wheel weights on both sides.

They never mentioned anything about the extra weight.

/ Backhoes and loaded tires
in 2012 I bought a L3540HSTC with a L724 FEL and a BH92 Backhoe. Both or oversized for the tractor. Also got loaded R1 tires, not as heavy as R4's, also 165 lbs of wheel weights on both sides.

They never mentioned anything about the extra weight.

If by "They" you mean your dealer, I'm not surprised.

My dealer said they wouldn't sell a tractor with a loader without loaded tires.

The warning saying the tires should be unloaded before mounting a backhoe came right from my operators manual.

Take a look in your OM and see what it says.