Backup camera with its own access point

/ Backup camera with its own access point #1  

BeezFun

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
I need a backup camera to use in an area with no power or wifi. So I'm looking for a camera that comes with its own access point that I can connect to with my phone to use when I backup a trailer. It would be similar in concept to my inspection camera which has its own access point connected to the camera and has a battery that will last an hour or so. Everything I've found depends on an external wifi.

/ Backup camera with its own access point #2  
Would it be acceptable to temporarily turn on the wifi hotspot on your phone when you want to use the camera?

/ Backup camera with its own access point
Would it be acceptable to temporarily turn on the wifi hotspot on your phone when you want to use the camera?
Geez, why didn't I think of that. great idea

I did find this one with it's own access point at etrailer.com while I was looking for a portable camera. A decent one without an access point is about $100 and the one from etrailer is $178. I like etrailer stuff, it's always good quality, might get that one.

Would a GoPro work?
That's a good thought. My wife uses a gopro on her horse, I'll have to see what the field of view is. They're pretty indestructible, that would be good.

Tested the GoPro, I think it will work fine. Even on the wide angle setting it's not a super wide field of view but it will be good enough, and the price is right. My wife always uses it to record video to an SD card, never thought about using it with my phone. I ordered a magnetic swivel base mount for it, the mounts it comes with are for helmets and other sports stuff. Nice thing about GoPro is there are a million accessories.

/ Backup camera with its own access point #8  
Hope you report back. I need something for backing up a UTV. How does the GoPro connect to your phone?

Hope you report back. I need something for backing up a UTV. How does the GoPro connect to your phone?
GoPro has an app for apple and android. The camera is a wifi access point, the app on the phone connects to that wifi and is used to control/view the camera. GoPros don't have night vision, something that backup cameras generally have. But I don't need it at night so that shouldn't be a problem.

• Good Post
Reactions: jmc
   / Backup camera with its own access point #10  
I picked up a cheap 12V camera/monitor system and modified it for portable use. I added magnets to the camera and monitor so they can be attached to any metal surface. I powered both with power tool battery adapters so the system is truly wireless. No cell phone is required. I never cared for the small screen anyway.

If you're at all handy with tools, here's a link to how it was done: