Backup for wood boiler

/ Backup for wood boiler #1  

John Haeberle

Tractor
TC-30
Planning new construction of a house … will prefer a wood boiler for heat (radiant, in-floor)

Thoughts on using electric for a backup to keep home at “keep-from-freezing” temps while out of town?

Other thoughts would be propane, I suppose, but we’re already planning electric tankless for hot water in summer months. Electric boiler as back up would eliminate need for additional propane boiler.

/ Backup for wood boiler #2  
Some wood boilers are available with oil burners in them.

/ Backup for wood boiler #3  
Planning new construction of a house … will prefer a wood boiler for heat (radiant, in-floor)

Thoughts on using electric for a backup to keep home at “keep-from-freezing” temps while out of town?

Other thoughts would be propane, I suppose, but we’re already planning electric tankless for hot water in summer months. Electric boiler as back up would eliminate need for additional propane boiler.
Where is the new house?

Have you looked into a heat pump for the backup heat? It is more efficient than straight electric, and there are now a number of incentives (IRA) for using heat pumps that might change the economics of heat pumps for you.

All the best,

Peter

/ Backup for wood boiler #5  
Are you planning on using an anti-freeze in the boiler? One thing I've always disliked about most of the wood boilers is that they are not a pressurized system.
You could put an inline electric water heater in series with the boiler loop.

/ Backup for wood boiler #6  
Are you planning on using an anti-freeze in the boiler? One thing I've always disliked about most of the wood boilers is that they are not a pressurized system.
You could put an inline electric water heater in series with the boiler loop.
This is excellent advice. If you truly intend to run your backup at times you need to really design your systems to separate the heat sources. Once off the water from the OWB is not heated it will use all the backups BTUs to keep that water lukewarm. My OWB was installed as normal, how they normally install it. I cannot leave my house in the winter. My backup runs non stop once my OWB goes Out. Takes about 3-4 days. Then my propane boiler kicks on and never turns off.

/ Backup for wood boiler #7  
Are you planning on air conditioning? If so, just use a forced air gas furnace as backup.

We built our house with a wood boiler and radiant floor heat. We were on a very tight budget and ran the ducting for A/C but could not afford to install it when we built. When we could finally work it into our budget we found it was cheaper to put in a forced air gas furnace with A/C, than it was to just do an A/C unit by itself.

Doug in SW IA

/ Backup for wood boiler
Thanks for the replies.

Natural gas isn't an option on this ground, but propane could be delivered. I'm thinking we may end up just getting a separate propane boiler to keep the water warm.

/ Backup for wood boiler #9  
My dad has propane heat it’s super expensive. He keeps his house cold as hell too and his bill is still outrageous.

/ Backup for wood boiler #10  
Thanks for the replies.

Natural gas isn't an option on this ground, but propane could be delivered. I'm thinking we may end up just getting a separate propane boiler to keep the water warm.
Propane works fine for a back up. That is what I use. When installing make sure you have a way to isolate the 2 heat sources. Otherwise you will never be able to leave for more than a few days in the winter.