Backup power

/ Backup power #1  

orezok

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
I recently upgraded my house to all mini splits. They work great and I am very pleased with their efficiency as my 16 year old York was SEER 10 and the new splits are SEER 22! Turning on every one of the 48000 quad units and measuring amps the max I have seen is under 9 amps.

I have a 8kW standby generator which handles my refrigeration, lighting and essential services, but is inadequate for the AC.

If you believe the news, there is a good chance of blackouts this summer. Living in the desert, AC is not a nicety, but a necessity at our age.

I am considering getting a portable inverter generator to power the splits. I went to the unit to look up the LRA for proper sizing of the gen. All it shows is a dash. Going online to research, it appears that inverter mini splits do not have a LRA? Apparently they have a soft start built in.

I spoke with the manufacturer and they said an inverter generator would work. I plan to install manual transfer switch (make-off-make) to prevent backfeeding into the grid.

Any insight on this?

Last edited: