Bad news big repair

/ Bad news big repair
Oh, there is your problem with the glow plugs... You're missing the battery! :)
Heres the ECU. Checked connections for moisture or corrosion. That looked ok. There was some, but not enough for alarm. Moving to check a few other things tomorrow

1639527509841.jpeg

/ Bad news big repair #262  
start at the relay.... it will tell you which way to head.

/ Bad news big repair
start at the relay.... it will tell you which way to head.
Yeah I already did all that. Last thing was to check the ECU plug/harness for anything. It looks good.
Gotta be cold for plugs to operate. 54* today.

/ Bad news big repair #265  
Something a lot of folks have to remember is that the OP actually WORKS!!! He posted questions on Saturday and by Sunday people were asking him why he hadn't fixed it yet. Sheesh. He had other stuff to do. Make your suggestions and then move along. I'm sure he'll post his results when he has time to attempt repairs... or install a block heater. :ROFLMAO:
LOL, I have followed this, biting my tongue, for what seems like a year. Glad I didn't say anything:)

On the good side, it is neat to see how many people try and help.

Best,

ed

/ Bad news big repair
I hope you win Hay dude stay after it. (y)
Thanks friend. (y)
It’s finally back to a garage. We spread until it rained over the weekend. Ground too muddy to spread, so I have a little time to mess with it in an unheated garage.

Last edited:
   / Bad news big repair #267  
Look real close at every connector in those harnesses (if you knew which wire then one could concentrate on just that one, but...). Further, examine each wire within an inch or so of the connector. I had my cabin fan stop working on my NX a couple of summers ago (right in the middle of a hot day and with a lot of mowing to do; AND, with mouse stench permeating the cabin! [I suspected that mice might have chewed wires but that turned out not to be the case]). I troubleshot the holy heck out of it and just couldn't figure out why the fan wasn't working. While scratching my head and wondering what the next step was I was kind of desperate and had the fan powered up and then started wiggling wires (and burning incense). Lo and behold, the squirrel cage on the fan started spinning! It was a bad wire, a factory defect! At the factory someone bent the wire (within 1/2" of the connector) such that it broke enough strands in the wire to work for a few years and then decide to stop working. The wire didn't look like it was a problem, just had a definite short bend in it. And for some reason when I disconnected the connector and probed it for power it showed that it was fine!

I would also look closely at the wires as they go into/out of the relay(s): I'm thinking that this would be the most likely place for such an occurrence ass the wire bundles to the ECU tend to be handled more gingerly (the group of wires together tend to kind of protect the individual wires).

Here's what the wires to my cabin fan looked like (not real obvious [I replaced the connector, that's why the wires are cut- no wiseguy cracks! :p]):
KiotiCabinFanBadWires.jpg

/ Bad news big repair
Diesel Bound, I will keep checking. It’s tedious and it pretty much requires two people and it to be cold for them to actually work. Yes you can look at wires relays, etc alone in a warm shop, but the OEM glow plugs won’t work unless it’s cold. You also need a second person to keep the switch in the GP position to perform some of the tests.
Takes away from time at work for 1-2 people. Time is something which I have little of.

Last edited:
   / Bad news big repair #269  
My shop isn't heated. I do plenty when it's not warm out. Before I got our shop I'd worked on everything outdoors and on uneven rocky surfaces: I did the first timing belt on my car in winter, with a canopy over the front part of the car- did that when I was in my mid 50s. I'm a tyrant, in which case I force myself to just deal with crap! :LOL: But yeah, when it takes another person to assist then that makes it really tough.

Wondering if anyone has any ideas for how to set up something such that you don't need another person. A remote triggering device of some sort: my brain isn't working well enough for me to come up with something right now).

/ Bad news big repair #270  
Clean up all your grounding spots too, a poor ground can do strange things !

Not what we're looking for here but a solution I have seen for this type of problem was to put a tee in the heater hoses with a valve and quick couplers and a matching set up in a work truck. Farmer or logger pulls up, hooks up and circulates the hot coolant from the pickup through the cold diesel, drink a cup of coffee and fires up the grumpy diesel.
I always thought it would shock the cold block having that hot coolant hit it but have seen it done for years.