Ballast box

/ Ballast box #11  
Titan says the box holds 5.3 cu ft and has an 800 lb capacity. 5.3 cu ft of concrete weighs about 800 lbs. I've been using a ~500 lb box blade as ballast but with the grapple I recently got I'd like more weight. The tractor handles ok with a 1000lb chipper on the back so it'll be able to handle 930 lbs of ballast box that's closer in to the tractor. Therefore I plan to fill the whole thing with concrete, with a couple eye bolts embedded so I can hold down a box I'll make to carry chainsaws and associated gear.

/ Ballast box #12  
I'd make sure the vertical tubes have drain holes in the bottom.

Since you are using removable ballast I wouldn't worry about it too much. Adjust to suit your needs.

/ Ballast box #13  
I got a koyker #5 loader. It will lift about 3000 lbs. I always put a big round bale on the back of the tractor. It males a great ballast/counter weight.if I need more weight than that, it is time to stop and rethink what I'm doing. I have never figured out why a person would buy a ballast box. Just get a 3 point bale mover and you got more options. I set bales with the big tractor. Slide a pallet on it for a 3 pt carry all. Build you ballast weights on another pallet setup and one attachment serves 3 function. Just use you bale mover like pallet forks. With the allis I set bales, with the massey I'm using it to hold the back of the tractor down.

/ Ballast box #14  
I got a koyker #5 loader. It will lift about 3000 lbs. I always put a big round bale on the back of the tractor. It males a great ballast/counter weight.if I need more weight than that, it is time to stop and rethink what I'm doing. I have never figured out why a person would buy a ballast box. Just get a 3 point bale mover and you got more options. I set bales with the big tractor. Slide a pallet on it for a 3 pt carry all. Build you ballast weights on another pallet setup and one attachment serves 3 function. Just use you bale mover like pallet forks. With the allis I set bales, with the massey I'm using it to hold the back of the tractor down.

Well, you & I (and our tractors) are employed for round bale movement. A lot of owners don't.

I also utilise the ballast box when I'm fetching/carrying/loading round bales during haying season. Yes, I could balance one front/back but I'd be unbalanced at times, especially when loading onto a lorry. And my haying doesn't take place on a flat prairie, it's fairly 'hilly' in Pyengana, Tasmania.

Then there's those who are using their tractors in the bush/woods... things can get 'tight', manoeuvring-wise. A ballast box is ideal as it doesn't hang out that far.

/ Ballast box #15  
Then there's those who are using their tractors in the bush/woods... things can get 'tight', manoeuvring-wise. A ballast box is ideal as it doesn't hang out that far.
That would be me, used to use a box blade or backhoe for ballast but that got old quickly whenever they would hang up on a tree or stump. Switched to a Titan ballast box recently and its been a huge improvement for working in the woods and also around buildings and fences.

Attachments

• IMG_20170524_172605728.jpg
    IMG_20170524_172605728.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 126
   / Ballast box #16  
That would be me, used to use a box blade or backhoe for ballast but that got old quickly whenever they would hang up on a tree or stump. Switched to a Titan ballast box recently and its been a huge improvement for working in the woods and also around buildings and fences.

I built a ballast box because I got tired of worrying about whacking things with a big box blade out back. Then, I discovered how handy it is to carry chains on it, and with a trailer hitch as well, it serves me nicely. I wanted removable or adjustable weight, for depending on the task, and stones work for that, plus it's a lot easier to remove or install when it doesn't have a full load in it. Had I known you could buy one like the OP's, for just over $200, maybe I would have gone that route?

P1010910.jpg

/ Ballast box #17  
I built a ballast box because I got tired of worrying about whacking things with a big box blade out back. Then, I discovered how handy it is to carry chains on it, and with a trailer hitch as well, it serves me nicely. I wanted removable or adjustable weight, for depending on the task, and stones work for that, plus it's a lot easier to remove or install when it doesn't have a full load in it. Had I known you could buy one like the OP's, for just over $200, maybe I would have gone that route?

View attachment 531351

Nice job on the box and chain storage! Like you I think its a good idea to having adjustable weight in the ballast box. I'm using iron suitcase weights in mine which leaves room in the box for other stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_20170920_163014232.jpg
    IMG_20170920_163014232.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 125