Barbwire

/ Barbwire #1  

I Piddle

Tractor
Farmtrac 665 DTC
I have three and four strands of barbwire fence. The wire is all good and I want to remove the wire and roll it up. It is a good mile or more of total wire to roll up. It is nasty stuff to deal with. I am thinking about making some type of spool to put on the 3-point lift arms and rolling it up that way. Has anyone designed a good system to do this with? It would make my life easier.

/ Barbwire #2  
Interesting way of DIY wire winder:

/ Barbwire
Thanks, look simple to make. I am going to give it a try and see out it works out.

/ Barbwire #4  
I will be curious to see it or try it myself. The one thing that I am won about is does it ever build up more tension as it rolls up.
We shall see

/ Barbwire #5  
Just take it loose. Bottom strand first. Roll it up in a roll that is waist high or higher. Easiest way to do it.

/ Barbwire #6  
we took all my dad fence down last summer and what we did was cut one strand off at a time and made a spool with crank handle and secure it to a quad and roll it up and we drove forward.

/ Barbwire #7  
There are a few large rolls of barbed wire on the neighbors property. No idea how it was done. But large enough that it would only be moved with a tractor and forks or grapple. Apparently to change the shape of grazing fields. I would guess - he had some type of spool system.

/ Barbwire #8  
I would try using my spinning jenny. It works wonders with electric fence wire

/ Barbwire #9  
I tore out a chunk of fence 5 strands a half mile long. I took down 1 strand at a time and rolled it up on a plastic 15 gallon drum when I got to the end I tied it up with a piece of smooth wire slid it off and started over again it took less than half a day

/ Barbwire #10  
When I installed my barbed wire fence ( 1.5 miles ) I knew I would need about 26 rolls of new barbed wire. One roll = 1320 feet. The dealer gave me a deal on a particular brand. Red Shank - Ever Sharp. I found out why when installing the first roll.

The barbs are sharper than razors and never get dull. They are just as sharp today as when they were installed fourty years ago. You slip as you snake your way thru my fence - a sliced pair of jeans will be the least of your concerns.

If I ever need to roll up some of this wire - it will definitely require some form of machine system.