Bare metal epoxy primer for truck frame

/ Bare metal epoxy primer for truck frame #11  
If you can't paint the expoxy primer in 3-4 days...don't use it.

For a truck frame, just a good high build primer is fine. Then use an industrial coating, like JD industrial Black, for a top coat.

It's really more about mil thickness. You want a lot of primer and paint on a frame. The more the better.

/ Bare metal epoxy primer for truck frame
So sandblast, wipe down, keep inside, then use self-etching epoxy primer, then topcoat in less than 48 hours?

/ Bare metal epoxy primer for truck frame #13  
essentially.

They say you have 7 days to top coat an epoxy primer, but I think it's more like 3-4 days.

I guess it kind of depends on the spray booth. My buddies is capable of doing both sand blasting and painting. If that is the case, you don't have so much exposure to the air. It's not a frantic rush to get primer and top coats on to prevent flash rusting.

/ Bare metal epoxy primer for truck frame #14  
If I remember correctly it was an epoxy primer they used when they sandblsted a body where I used to work. They'd paint it immediately after blasting. By immediately I mean less than 24 hours, it would leave the heated sandblast shed after being blown off and go right into the heated paint booth. Even then, in a warm, muggy summer day it would get a rust haze on it. The finish coat would get sprayed the next day as the primer was left to cure overnight.
As was mentioned too, a good liberal coat of Fluid Film, Rust Check or some other type of creeping coating after you mount the body as you don't want to be crawling around a slimy truck trying to weld, plumb and wire a body.

I was referred to a guy who owns a business that oil coats the entire underside of the truck. He said he can pressure inject oil in between the frame rails from the top and coat everything for $250.

I think that it may be wise to get something between the frame rails, if it’s even possible….
They will dill holes in door jambs and put an oil mist inside the doors, coat the entire underside of the truck.

/ Bare metal epoxy primer for truck frame #16  
He said he can pressure inject oil in between the frame rails from the top and coat everything for $250.
IMHO, one of the best thigs you can do. Oil or similar viscosity substance will creep, unlike paint or any product the hardens or sets.
I remember seeing something on the 'net a couple years ago. This fella would drill and tap a 1/4"unf thread hole in the middle of the outer frame web every couple of feet and screw in a grease nipple. He had a pneumatic grease gun geared up with waste oil and would inject oil between the rails. It looked messy for him but it looked as if the oil was coming out between the flanges after a couple of days. It had to have helped some.
I'd wait until you get the body mounted tho, like I said, its a pia when you attempt to work on a truck that's just been undercoated. I've taken a few tumbles off a truck frame when working on a truck that someone had just done. Come to think of it.....that explains a lot :).

I think thats what this boy does. Sounds like cheap insurance. Metal loves oil.

/ Bare metal epoxy primer for truck frame #18  
POR15 has a cleaner, converter/prep and the paint on rust material. It is 3 real steps, but if you do the prep it lasts a long time, and is hard enough to take rock chips better than paint.

If you are going to sandblast, just the metal prep and the por15 itself will be good.

I did a 03 f150 I still have, and it has held up well.

Best,

ed

/ Bare metal epoxy primer for truck frame #19  
I was referred to a guy who owns a business that oil coats the entire underside of the truck. He said he can pressure inject oil in between the frame rails from the top and coat everything for $250.

I think that it may be wise to get something between the frame rails, if it’s even possible….
They will dill holes in door jambs and put an oil mist inside the doors, coat the entire underside of the truck.
Many vehicles you dont need to drill acess holes. I have done 4 vehicles with woolwax and didnt need to drill anything. Theres plenty of body acess plugs in alot of vehicles.

For the tiny acess holes like the bottom of doors get a spray can of woolwax with the 360* straw.

You are getting kind of late in the season to do this type of thing now. Generaly I like to do this in the summer. Warm woolwax or fluid film creeps and sprays better when warm.

/ Bare metal epoxy primer for truck frame #20  
If you can't paint the expoxy primer in 3-4 days...don't use it.

They say you have 7 days to top coat an epoxy primer, but I think it's more like 3-4 days.
Back when I was painting, overcoats to any epoxy had to be performed within 8 hours or less or it wouldn't stick. I spent many long days when using epoxy primers and paints. I spent 20 hours on one event when I painted a boat. I wouldn't do that again.