Barlows question

/ Barlows question #1  

crazyal

Tractor
Kubota, Case, Deere
Does anyone who has bought a tractor from Barlows know if they offer a discount on repair parts? I have to replace the loader valve on my Kubota and it's pricey. Tomorrow I'll call around to since the local dealers charge full retail and don't want to budge on price.

/ Barlows question #2  
How long ago did you buy it from them?

/ Barlows question #3  
Definitely call around. For autos I have found dealer price fluctuates from dealer to dealer. For example $1000 fuel pump assembly at dealer 1 was $880 at dealer 2 $750 and dealer 3 and $540 at dealer 4 (online). The kicker is there was only 1 left in THE ENTIRE COUNTRY and I physically got the same part from dealer 4 that I would of got from dealer 1. Literally the same part as every dealer said "there is one left and it's in California''.

/ Barlows question
It's been a number of years, about 8 would be my guess. Messicks has their price on-line and is about the same as the other on-line places. I haven't found the retail price on-line so I have no clue how much of a discount the on-line places are offering. None of the places on-line have it in stock so it looks like a rarely replaced part.

/ Barlows question #6  
Have you thought of getting the loader valve rebuilt at a local hydraulic shop?

/ Barlows question #7  
This is for your L4240 correct?
Is this a cable operated valve, or do the hoses go right up to it? It looks like you're bucket and rear remotes have 10 gallons per minute available to them.
If the the hoses go right up to it and it is mounted on the loader frame, you might look at something like this for $280ish: 2 Spool Compact 1 GPM Joystick Control Valve | Directional Control Valves | Hydraulic Valves | Hydraulics | www.surpluscenter.com

This one would also do the trick for $180ish, but it does not have regen on the bucket circut so your dump times would slow down: 2 Spool Compact 1 GPM Joystick Control Valve | Directional Control Valves | Hydraulic Valves | Hydraulics | www.surpluscenter.com

Another similar one for $330ish, this one also does not have regen on the bucket circuit: 2 Spool 14 GPM Prince LVR Joystick Loader Valve | Directional Control Valves | Hydraulic Valves | Hydraulics | www.surpluscenter.com

Aaron Z

/ Barlows question #8  
i've bought three tractors from barlow's and what few parts i have purchased (which has been very few) i think they charged listed price. their parts guy amazes me though. when i go in there he calls me by name first and last and remembers where i'm from and i'm in there maybe once a year and from the next county over.

/ Barlows question
The loader valve is mounted directly to the transmission so nothing aftermarket will work. I haven't removed the valve body (it's going to require things like the fender to be removed) but one of the two spools is binding. I was able to remove just the spool on the tractor but nothing was visibly bad. When reinstalled it's still stiff and when the bucket dump is in float mode fluid is flowing and forces the bucket all the way down. At the same time hydraulic pressure in the value will not allow the spool to move until the engine is shut off. I'm assuming that the spool and housing are machined to mate together so I don't think there's anything to rebuild. Since it was working just fine then all of a sudden it wasn't I'm guessing that the housing broke. The other spool is as smooth as can be.

/ Barlows question #10  
My dealer gives a 10% favorite customer discount. You have to ask though. Of course 10% off too much is still too much. Some folks I know swear that parts retail price gives the dealer 50% markup. My parts guy denies that. I have found parts that have an after market replacement that works are usually around 2/3 less that dealer OEM branded items. Its that way on Parker QDs. It is obvious that a lot of parts are not unique o Kubota, just need to find the actual manufacturer.

The BX FEL control is linked by multi piece rod linkages. The valve is virtually inaccessible w/o spending an hour getting other things out of the way. Those linkages are getting worn and sloppy (1500 HRS) and the valve leakdown is increasing. Contemplating just getting rid of it all and getting valves from Surplus Center. Petty well have it figured out, just waiting or one of the links to fail so I can justify the time and cost. I will then do rear remotes at the same time clustered together where the FEL joy stick is now.

Ron