Barndominium/Shop or "real" House?

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #111  
Working on section views, and am on to the A-Frame living room. I don't want to do knee walls because I think the windows look better on the outside non-truncated. I laid out a dude sitting in a chair 1ft from the wall. I'm 6ft tall and I guess the 8X6 decorative beams could be an issue? Maybe not so much for walking but getting in and out of a chair.

Anyone have experience with an A-Frame house or cabin?

View attachment 784003
In your picture/drawing on the left: My brother has an A-frame house. His couches sit a bit away from the wall in comparison to my couch in standard house build. His recliner sits out like mine. I am about 5'8" and don't have a problem sitting down into couch. Also I don't think people sit down with a straight vertical back, I know my back is usually curved forward to balance myself as I sit down. Along the bottom portion of the roof line behind the chair back area are cabinets. Never looked how deep they are. And his roof line guessing goes down to within 2' of grade level. Where yours show 2' to the floor level. Not sure of his roof pitch. Jon

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House?
Finally have a completed first draft of my stick frame plans. For whatever reason these drawings take longer than it seems they should...

Attachments

• Stick_Frame_Plans_Raised-Heel.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 54
   / Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #113  
I actually just emailed the town assessor to try and get them to pre-assess based on the plans. I have very high property and school taxes in my area. For the ICF design, I am expecting about ~$12,000 per year in taxes (for a 1243 sq-ft home, which is nuts). I'm hoping the assessor can clue me in on how much less I'd be paying on the Barndominium.
I would get the hell out of there. Paying over 1k a month in taxes is robbery. We left Pennsylvania for warmer weather here in Texas. The home we sold in PA taxes went up to 14k a year. Texas isn't super cheap either
We are at about 7500 a year but next year I'll be 65 and the taxes will no longer go up. I have a 4300sf attached metal building shop and about 3000sf home... standard 2x6 construction.

Attachments

• 20211102_183555.jpg
    20211102_183555.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 47
   / Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #114  
Very exciting plans and all, but as a life long NYS resident, and with the current plan to rid the state of fossil fuels, I'd be relocating to a state farther south
with the new build. Eventually I'll be forced out of this state as well.

Edit:Looks like walnutman and I were posting simultaneously with the same thought.

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #115  
A friend of mine has done exactly what you are contemplating. Worked fine for the until "Mom" at 90 years old needed a place to live or go into a facility. Master bedroom and bath down stairs, 3 other rooms and bath upstairs. Didn't work out too well. Stairs in a residence is kind of like backyard swimming pools. A lot of people have one but not many people have their second one. The delima now is the husband has died, which we all will, and this "barndominium" is going to be a very difficult sale. The market for such residence/shop combos is slim. A lot of people would like a house and unattached shop but it will take that special couple to want exactly what you have created. Your buyers market will be nil to none depending on your physical location. Getting half your investment back may be realistic. Think and pray hard about this venture.

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #116  
Would adding a third bay onto your house garage for a lift and workshop area work for you? Later a storage area can be added to the property. It could even be a fabric building.

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #117  
I would agree to keep them separate forall reasons mentioned by others. My first house I attached the work shop but the the floor level was two steps lower. That was my learner house and I did some of the work. Shop had a pit for under vehicl access. I learned that it was 65% labor costs and 35% materials. So I took the money from that sale after 6 years of living there and built them myself without subs. Multi year projects. The last one I started in my early 60s and did the entire project including grading and underground utilities. I subbed out the colored stucco portion because it was 45’ high and took 31 tons of mud, the sheet rock was also too much for me with some 18’+ ceilings. I did the remainder in stone. I had heard about downsizing but didn’t know why or how. One thing may interest the OP is the steel walls in the shop that he could use for residential, they go up easy and provide R-21 insulation, available in higher and lower insulation values by thickness. They are sandwiched with metal on both sides and foam filled. Different textures are available. I see some contributors on here that have seen this project before so I wont bore you with all the details and photos except for the walls. By the way my taxes are $3500 annual. Building this way confuses the assessor.

Attachments

• 3BBF4B29-997C-4FE3-A917-6C7D44C71E9C.jpeg
    3BBF4B29-997C-4FE3-A917-6C7D44C71E9C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 58
  • 914CDCA6-4C6A-439D-9EC2-B90020147705.jpeg
    914CDCA6-4C6A-439D-9EC2-B90020147705.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 54
  • 492515B1-BFD6-4C6B-B604-169F9F9818A1.jpeg
    492515B1-BFD6-4C6B-B604-169F9F9818A1.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 60
   / Barndominium/Shop or "real" House?
Would adding a third bay onto your house garage for a lift and workshop area work for you? Later a storage area can be added to the property. It could even be a fabric building.
I don't think I would go that route.

If I build a house first, I'd probably do an all metal building on slab at a later date.

I have 3 shipping containers and plan to buy a fourth, I plan to stack 2 high and span that with a shipping container roof. This would give me 40ftx40ftx16ft area to park my equipment out of the weather. Open on two ends but better than getting rained and snowed on. If I build a house first this shipping container thing would likely happen before the all steel shop.

I got my first ballpark estimate for my latest stick frame design. ~$360k, and that is with me doing site work, water/gas trenching & installation, power and driveway already are done.

$360k is too much for me. So if the Barndo comes in a lot lower, probably the way I go...

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #120  
I got my first ballpark estimate for my latest stick frame design. ~$360k, and that is with me doing site work, water/gas trenching & installation, power and driveway already are done.

$360k is too much for me. So if the Barndo comes in a lot lower, probably the way I go...
Pretty sure it will.