Barndominium/Shop or "real" House?

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #211  
I like the layout garc did of the entry from the deck with the open counter area and closets then the Bath too is better.

You could do a screen porch on half and a rubber/epdm roof under the deck to eliminate any water from the garage below.

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House?
I like the layout garc did of the entry from the deck with the open counter area and closets then the Bath too is better.

You could do a screen porch on half and a rubber/epdm roof under the deck to eliminate any water from the garage below.
I want the bathroom and laundry room separate. Because the hot water heater and whatever I need for radiant heat will go in that room as well (also attic access). I also do not like the stackable washer/dryer. The open counter is nice, but that means less kitchen cabinets.

Also, in my state anyways, the stairwell counts as taxable living space.

Last edited:
   / Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #213  
I want the bathroom and laundry room separate. Because the hot water heater and whatever I need for radiant heat will go in that room as well (also attic access). I also do not like the stackable washer/dryer. The open counter is nice, but that means less kitchen cabinets.
A few thoughts from my imagination and/or my own experience ...
Going small means compromise. I've had both both stackable and side by each full size washer dryers combos with no concerns on my part. Some can be installed either way to suit space limitations.
Attic access might be more 'accessible' from the shop side of the 'dominium' wall above and to the right of the relocated staircase upper landing. I imagine you could continue the stairs upwards beyond the landing.
Hydronic heating requires a bit of plumbing for the loop manifolds, pumps etc. I would be inclined to have three water heaters, domestic (140°F), living area and shop (max 110°F). Also I expect you'll want the shop 10°F cooler than the living area with a separate thermostat. None of this equipment requires the sacrifice of premium living space since it is basically set it and forget it.
You have an unusually large pantry so five feet of over counter cabinets to the right of the deck window should be good for one person's daily food prep with extras in the pantry. My thoughts not withstanding I tried to leave the kitchen layout as you had it thinking you could adjust as needed since there is clearly a lot of personal preference in your design.

The key to the layout I submitted is working within the confines of 36 feet x 25 feet in order to keep the tax man at bay, something you have mentioned once or twice or 🤔.

Last edited:
   / Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #214  
I'd try to put the hydronic floor heat setup in the shop bathroom. It'll easily fit on 5ft of wall space. Could be compressed onto 4ft.

You'll only need two water heaters. Domestic and floor heat system are completely separate.

OK, my latest redesign. Got rid of the awkward pantry. Now I actually have some upper kitchen cabinets. One of the windows is no longer centered over the garage door so that is eating at my OCD. I tried a 900 sq-ft plan but it just wasn't working. Oddly this works out to 1234 sq-ft, EXACT same as my stick frame house design... I'm hoping because its a barn, a woman will be assessing it and she hates it and gives it a low value.

Tha bathroom and laundry room would not be vaulted, I'd frame in a flat 9ft ceiling, same with the stairwell landing. I'd have attic access in both the shop and in the living space.

Barndoninium_Floor-Plan_Redesign.png
Barndoninium_Floor-Plan_Redesign1.png

Attachments

• Barndominium_Floor-Plan_Redesign.pdf
    31.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
   / Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #216  
I have a gas boiler that designed to heat all three; domestic tap water 'on demand', house floor and shop floor. My garage is also on the network but I haven't used it in it's 20 years. It's just for future proofing incase there would ever be a need to make it a habitable space. Shop and two car garage are three separate zones. I even have a zone for an actual heated slab under an imaginary outside dog house that I've never got around to finishing :oops:
Anyway, on demand water heating doesn't work comfortably with a well and bladder pressure tank because the pressure range alters the exposure to the heat exchanger varying water temperature in the shower. Also, the boiler has to ramp up 30⁰F creating a delay in water temperature after the demand.
So, I bypassed the boiler and installed a conventional electric 40 gal DHW heater :rolleyes:
The reason for two hydronic water heaters is because the shop and living quarters couldn't be more different in their heating requirements.

The reason for two hydronic water heaters is because the shop and living quarters couldn't be more different in their heating requirements.
I was assuming I'd have separate heaters. But I have not researched that part yet. All I know is I really want radiant heat. I'm sick and tired of forced hot air with my allergies & asthma.

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #218  
"$12,000-$13,000 per year in property taxes." We don't even have a sales tax and prop taxes are no where near that.

"$12,000-$13,000 per year in property taxes." We don't even have a sales tax and prop taxes are no where near that.
I've spent the last ~10 years looking at properties and houses for sale in WNY. I found a few properties that I might have been interested in down near the PA line, taxes would be much cheaper. It's only now that I started looking at states other than NY.

I'd want 60-100 acres, and basically a thick forest. Looking on Google Earth and Zillow, I kind of have to stay near the east coast to find what I want. Montana & Wyoming sound romantic but the landscape is not what I'm attracted to, I need lots of trees. I would love Arizona for the weather, but it's ugly out there in terms of trees etc. I find that I tend to like the properties in NY, PA, VA, WV, MI etc...

Having said all that I've got 26 years in at my company, a job I like and I get paid well. I would not look forward to getting a new job.

Last edited:
   / Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #220  
You are looking at Maine. Yet I don't understand Maine, in that, I see no opportunity for small private ownership.. 90% of that state is already owned by huge land holding companies or Indigenous peoples. Everything NW of 95 is what? It certainly isn't for sale. :)

Last edited: