Basic plumbing question

/ Basic plumbing question #1  

riptides

Tractor
Kubota ZTR, RTV, MX6000
We finished our Farm House renovations like five years ago.

A week ago, in a corner of the house, outside my kitchen, I noticed a mushroom type fungi growing.

I thought it might be the sink in the kitchen. The wall use to be an outside wall, but is now an inside wall. The kitchen area looked dry.

So I tore into the drywall on the other side.

There I found the kitchen sink drain and found to my shock, an end cap had not been installed on the tee-drain. The tee was there to return waste water from a sink no longer in the house and the kitchen sink.

I had to call the insurance company for it, due to the mold, and shock, standing water in the wall. The wall is a combination of old construction and new construction, so it held the water well.

My question is..........

I end capped the tee.

But, when I turn the water on, the sink gurggles on draining. Glug, glug, glug....

Does a plumbing job like this need vents? Should this waste return also have a vent pipe?

/ Basic plumbing question #2  
We finished our Farm House renovations like five years ago.

A week ago, in a corner of the house, outside my kitchen, I noticed a mushroom type fungi growing.

I thought it might be the sink in the kitchen. The wall use to be an outside wall, but is now an inside wall. The kitchen area looked dry.

So I tore into the drywall on the other side.

There I found the kitchen sink drain and found to my shock, an end cap had not been installed on the tee-drain. The tee was there to return waste water from a sink no longer in the house and the kitchen sink.

I had to call the insurance company for it, due to the mold, and shock, standing water in the wall. The wall is a combination of old construction and new construction, so it held the water well.

My question is..........

I end capped the tee.

But, when I turn the water on, the sink gurggles on draining. Glug, glug, glug....

Does a plumbing job like this need vents? Should this waste return also have a vent pipe?

Glad its not me. Wall should dry out eventually though and my sink glugs if that is any consolation:)

/ Basic plumbing question #3  
Does a plumbing job like this need vents???
Yes, You need to break that vaccum.:p

/ Basic plumbing question #4  
All drains need some form of vent. Some states let you use a remote vent. It is a one way flapper valve that lets air into the system but not gas or water out. It goes in a vent line that rises above the flood rim of the fixture served. It isn't the best, but it would keep some demo work out of your project. We can't use them here. We have to demo until we can get connected to another vent or out the roof.

/ Basic plumbing question
In another thread "Dealers not what they use to be"....

That insurance agent that I no longer have business with, but wish I had, called and left a voice mail "Happy New Year", leaves his cell phone, because of the holiday shutdown.

My agent, through all this, so far, no where to be found. Had to work through someone else. No empathy coming from him either. "I see this all the time"....

yeah, well I don't, NOT in my house. :(

A stupid 2 dollar cap, probably 5k worth of damage. Great!

/ Basic plumbing question #8  
   / Basic plumbing question #9  
i live in a log home and I had this vent issue iin my first floor bathroom sink that sits right on the exterior solid log wall. Obviously there was no way to hide a vent up through the wll so I have to go with a check vent.

checkvent1.jpg

/ Basic plumbing question #10  
You can use them ( studor vents) here but not in a concealed space / area