Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #1,781  
What is the temperate rang? My garage is usually 90˚F - 105˚F during the summer months and cools down to 80˚F - 90˚F at night.
Would I have to A/C the garage?
Caveat - I'm definitely no expert.
I found this informative piece: Why do Tesla batteries not overheat? Tesla's battery cooling system. - Easy Electric Cars

Basically, a hot garage in the summer is fine.
When powered (plugged in or in use), the car's management system will keep the batteries in a good temperature range.

Assuming they don't catch fire, of course...
Screenshot_20210402-095923.jpeg

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #1,782  
If they get away from using fossil fuels to manufacture hydrogen, rail use would be an excellent fit. The infrastructure could be compact and easy to install, with trained personnel. Trains could go back to pulling a tender, so refueling could be as quick and simple as dropping one tender and hooking up another.

Both wind and solar would be an excellent source for hydrogen. There has been a lot of progress in efficiency using high temperature catalysis in the electrolysis process.

That leaves the question of what to do with all the oxygen. I'm looking forward to a cheaper fill on my oxygen tanks. :cool:
Meh. HTE only looks good if you get heat from somewhere free. Solar concentrators sound like a good idea until you factor the cost to build, space occupied, and maintenance.

Hydrogen is a bad idea in search of a problem to solve. The one thing that keeps hydrogen alive is the need for "gas stations" which politicians can tax, regulate, and extort campaign contributions.

Today you can purchase PV panels and an EV, then never purchase fuel again. No need to purchase supplies to process biofuels. No biofuel hazardous waste. That is no good for politicians who need something to subsidize, tax, regulate, and extort.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #1,783  
What is the temperate rang? My garage is usually 90˚F - 105˚F during the summer months and cools down to 80˚F - 90˚F at night.
Would I have to A/C the garage?
A Tesla will heat or cool its battery as needed even when parked.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #1,784  
Looks like the optimal temp for the batteries is 80F. No wonder they are building the new Tesla factory down the road instead of Michigan.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #1,785  
Buddy of mine just picked up a VW ID.4. Here is a link to his review of Electrigy America. Note the opening photo of him sitting at a yet to be turned on location at the foot of a nearby nuclear generating plant.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #1,786  
Tesla's have a glycol system that flood the cells which depends on if it needing heating or cooling it heats it up with a heat pump when needed to be warm. Charging lithium below 32 F will damage any lithium battery, the BMS (Battery Management System keeps everything in check on those parameters along with charging parameters

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #1,787  
Tesla's have a glycol system that flood the cells which depends on if it needing heating or cooling it heats it up with a heat pump when needed to be warm. Charging lithium below 32 F will damage any lithium battery, the BMS (Battery Management System keeps everything in check on those parameters along with charging parameters
Only the newest Teslas have a heat pump. Until recently resistance heating was used.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#1,788  

Locally I hear stories about 2-cycle marine engines being band from some area lakes.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #1,789  
Locally I hear stories about 2-cycle marine engines being band from some area lakes.
That has been occurring for at least 30 years. The big issue is unburned 2-stroke oil in the water.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#1,790  

The video of the Giga Press being assembled I found interesting due to my tool and die background and EV interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.