Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,671  
"Everybody says" public transportation is so great for the environment but the reason only the ignorant push for it is the math doesn't work. The cost per seat mile is enormous. Smart politicians have figured out that public transportation costs a lot for the few votes it will buy.

The thing that makes EV practical today is how a $50,000 EV can be driven 300,000 miles for 3¢/mile in energy costs. That works out to a total of $59,000.

A $25,000 ICE getting 25 MPG on $3/gallon gasoline consumes $36,000 of gasoline. Plus a $30 oil change every 5,000 miles is $1800, for total of $62,800.
You left out a key point...a very important one few people consider.
The S&P according to historical records, the average annual return since its inception in 1926 through 2018 is approximately 10%–11%.
So 300,000 miles of driving equates to 20 years if averaging 15,000 m/year.
Instead of that 10%-11% figure let's use 8%.
That example of an $50,000 EV vs $25,000 ICE difference is $25,000.
$25,000 at 8% compounded at 8% is (drum roll please)...$116,523.93.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,672  
300k miles is about 6 years... it’s not the drive train which gives out though, it’s front end parts, tires, and rusted frames. I wonder, how much range will I sacrifice after putting 10 ply tires on my EV?
Don’t get me wrong, as I’ve stated previously in this thread I can see myself buying one for a second vehicle, when I don’t need 4wd or a pickup. There’s no way I’m paying 50k for any vehicle though, unless it’s a pristine R/T Challenger with a Hemi.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,673  
.... after putting 10 ply tires on my EV?
I needed a laugh today......That one had me chuckling.....

Tech marches on..... install non-OE spec 10 plies on Futurama Ride, drive down road, hit first pothole in Hill Country.....

Comm's System auto-dials Mountain Rescue, as EV (or most other future techno-rollers....) calculates that you've driven off a cliff.....

Notwithstanding..... I've told myself to quit joking about ^ such future event-scenarios....

Rgds, D.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,676  
Tesla sells an annual service. Among other things they flush brake fluid every 2 years and change transmission fluid every 4. Battery coolant gets replaced on a schedule too.

My Model S is on its 3rd 12V battery.

For brake, they recommends testing brake fluid for contamination every 2 years and replacing as needed. It's not an automatic flush. For the transmission, that's because you have a S. There's no mention of transmission fluid change every four years for X, Y or model 3. What I read is that fluid could last the life of the vehicle.

Same for battery coolant, yes for the S, no service required for model 3.

Last edited:
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,677  
$3 gas?

Regular is $4.39 at the cheapest place Gasbuddy can find, $4.50 to $4.77 for name brands at the freeway offramps. Northern California.

An EV looks better all the time.

Our neighbor in town appears to have replaced his Ford supercab with a a Tesla 3. I'll have to ask him if he bought it.

Neighbor on the other side has a Tesla S, next beyond that a Chevy Bolt. (I know).

I'm tempted...
It's been hovering between $2.98 and $3.19 here for what seems like a couple months now.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,678  
Same for battery coolant, yes for the S, no service required for model 3.
If it's a liquid coolant, it may be the coolant has a rated life-span beyond the design life of the 3.

If the coolant actually has an infinite life-span, I'd really like to know what T is using....

Rgds, D.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#4,679  

I expect the $15,000 EV plus or minus a few thousand will pick up a lion share of early EV market in the next 3 to 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.