Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

#4,651  
OP
G

Gale Hawkins

Tractor
1948 Allis Chambers Model B 1976 265 MF / 1983 JD 310B Backhoe / 1966 Ford 3000 Diesel / 1980 3600 Diesel
Well Gale...I gave you a like. To me it is a thought provoking subject that must be looked at from different perspectives. Some day we MAY possibly look at electric...but certain conditions hopefully: I don't want to see the elimination of petroleum.
Hopefully gas & diesel still available at an affordable price for older cars, trucks, tractors, mowers, etc.
I will not purchase an electric if I'm not able to park it in garage or near cars or house for fear of fire.
I don't want towers, windmills, solar, nuclear plants destroying the landscape.
Something with a good warranty at an affordable price for everyday trips that gets 90-100 equivalent mpg, yes I'd consider.
Too many people embrace things just because it's new without really thinking about it.
EVs may work well for the person making six figures and driving 200 miles a day and can charge overnight at home.

EVs becoming a no brainer maybe like 10 years down the road.

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
I could see myself with an ICE and an EV at some point. The EV would be the local grocery getter and save miles on the ICE.
I've long felt the same way. First though they will have to come up with a simpler version; gas, diesel or electric there's no way that I'd pay the prices for a vehicle which are being bandied around here. For 50K I could own a new 3/4 ton with dump and snowplow.
I'm already considering a hybrid Maverick next year, which will allow me to park my Colorado for when I want or need 4WD.
List price on the Maverick is around 20K...

SylvainG

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti LK30
I could see myself with an ICE and an EV at some point. The EV would be the local grocery getter and save miles on the ICE.
I have an ICE and EV (since sept 10th). I've put last weekend fuel stabilizer in the fuel tank because I don't expect it will empty in the next 6 months. Going to the cottage with my EV today has cost me $1.16. The same trip in my ICE vehicle would have cost me $12.63 in gas alone.

Fuddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
1973 Economy and 2018 John Deere 3038E
I have an ICE and EV (since sept 10th). I've put last weekend fuel stabilizer in the fuel tank because I don't expect it will empty in the next 6 months. Going to the cottage with my EV today has cost me $1.16. The same trip in my ICE vehicle would have cost me $12.63 in gas alone.
How far is it?

Grumpycat

Veteran Member
Tractor
<TBD>
Yet you don't address the point of my post. If this really was about the environment, there would be much more push to get people on board with public transportation. That's why I believe that EVs are merely a transfer of wealth from one group of people to another.
"Everybody says" public transportation is so great for the environment but the reason only the ignorant push for it is the math doesn't work. The cost per seat mile is enormous. Smart politicians have figured out that public transportation costs a lot for the few votes it will buy.

The thing that makes EV practical today is how a $50,000 EV can be driven 300,000 miles for 3¢/mile in energy costs. That works out to a total of $59,000.

A $25,000 ICE getting 25 MPG on $3/gallon gasoline consumes $36,000 of gasoline. Plus a $30 oil change every 5,000 miles is $1800, for total of $62,800.

California

Super Star Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM240, and now just one YM186D
A $25,000 ICE getting 25 MPG on $3/gallon gasoline consumes $36,000 of gasoline. ...
$3 gas?

Regular is $4.39 at the cheapest place Gasbuddy can find, $4.50 to $4.77 for name brands at the freeway offramps. Northern California.

An EV looks better all the time.

Our neighbor in town appears to have replaced his Ford supercab with a a Tesla 3. I'll have to ask him if he bought it.

Neighbor on the other side has a Tesla S, next beyond that a Chevy Bolt. (I know).

I'm tempted...

SylvainG

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti LK30
"Everybody says" public transportation is so great for the environment but the reason only the ignorant push for it is the math doesn't work. The cost per seat mile is enormous. Smart politicians have figured out that public transportation costs a lot for the few votes it will buy.

The thing that makes EV practical today is how a $50,000 EV can be driven 300,000 miles for 3¢/mile in energy costs. That works out to a total of $59,000.

A $25,000 ICE getting 25 MPG on $3/gallon gasoline consumes $36,000 of gasoline. Plus a $30 oil change every 5,000 miles is $1800, for total of $62,800.
And don't forget other maintenance like brakes, other fluids like transmissions, differential, spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter and timing belt (if it's a belt, not a chain). Maintenance chart in an ICE vehicle means you must be at a shop several times a year.

The only maintenance recommended on my Tesla is brake cleaning yearly because they don't get used often enough.

#4,660  
OP
G

Gale Hawkins

Tractor
1948 Allis Chambers Model B 1976 265 MF / 1983 JD 310B Backhoe / 1966 Ford 3000 Diesel / 1980 3600 Diesel

While this is one of those 5 years to never things it is exciting. Over the years I have observed when the consciousness of mankind gets focus of a problem solutions start popping like popcorn.

For 70 years I have been hearing "Murray Kentucky the birth place of Radio" on local radio.