Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #21  
As long as China holds all the rare earth metals needed to build lithium batteries...we (the US) should not go all in on electric battery based tech. We would be giving up our energy independence.

That is not moving forward.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #22  
This is much like old people who refuse to use battery powered tools. They are taking over. Get used to it. And they're better.

5 years will be the flip point from more EV than gas cars. Trucks will take another couple of years.

When everyone has one every company will be focusing on the profits of better batteries and chargers and accessories.

Gasoline is the wagon wheel. Get on board or get left behind.

Battery tools are actually useful. 100 percent electric vehicles are about like the battery tools of 1990. Not very good. And all of this zero emissions bull crap is completely wrong.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #23  
There are other battery technologies besides lithium. Lithium is the best power/weight commercial stage tech right now. But that performance is not needed for all applications. People are working on other high performance battery techs to replace expensive lithium.

Even just sticking to lithium, Chile has greater lithium production and reserves than China. There are sizeable known reserves in seven other countries.

CUTs for the non commercial user (like the vast majority on this forum) would be perfect battery vehicles. They're not run 8 or more hours a day every day. Battery weight isn't a problem for tractors. But I only know of one manufacturer of electric CUTs and they're a small startup outfit.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #24  
Internal combustion engines made the horse obsolete. The wheel of technology continues to roll ......

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #25  
There are other battery technologies besides lithium. Lithium is the best power/weight commercial stage tech right now. But that performance is not needed for all applications. People are working on other high performance battery techs to replace expensive lithium.

Even just sticking to lithium, Chile has greater lithium production and reserves than China. There are sizeable known reserves in seven other countries.

CUTs for the non commercial user (like the vast majority on this forum) would be perfect battery vehicles. They're not run 8 or more hours a day every day. Battery weight isn't a problem for tractors. But I only know of one manufacturer of electric CUTs and they're a small startup outfit.

Even if I only ran my tractor 2 hours a day I’ve always wished I could buy a high dollar tractor battery every few years. Plus when I go do a remote job it would be great hauling the tractor back home every night to charge. That would be assuming I have power where I keep the tractor which I don’t.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #26  

I hope they find something that can replace lithium. It would be really convenient if the tech could be wholly produced in the US.

Look at what Toyota is doing. They currently have the best selection of electric hybrids, but the vast majority of their R&D dollars are in hydrogen fuel cell technology. They know being dependent upon questionable supply sources is foolish. So the power source for electric cars is still being worked through, which is good.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #27  
As long as China holds all the rare earth metals needed to build lithium batteries...we (the US) should not go all in on electric battery based tech. We would be giving up our energy independence.

That is not moving forward.

Tesla looks to be moving ahead

The Nevada Giga factory was slated to to produce 35 GWh year of battery cells and 50 GWh of battery packs

Now upped that projection to 105 GWh and 150 GWh for 2020

Also a battery Investor day is approaching with Musk mentioning (on their conference call) a road map to a full Terawatt of cell production

interesting take on where Tesla (may) be heading with their battery tech and recent corporate tech purchases related to the Giga factories...

GigaNotes: Analysis From My Tesla Gigafactory Tour - YouTube

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #28  
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
Audi e-tron and the new Mercedes will be selling in big numbers, the new e-tron is very common already, Volvos Polestar im sure will sell very good as Norway is considered a part of Volvos home market, Tesla will meet a lot of competition. Here in Norway a lot will go on electricity, the new car ferry where i live will be electric, we are seriously thinking on use electric passenger plane on the short routes and the list goes on. In agriculture it has been very little focus on electrification.

Agvg here is a tow test between Tesla, Audi and Mercedes done in your country which is beautiful by the way. There are about 10K links to other EV news at the end of the article. :)

Tesla Model X beats Mercedes-Benz EQC and Audi e-tron in camper trailer towing test - Electrek

Over three days, they drove 1,381 kilometers with the three electric SUVs.

They didn稚 stop at using the same caravan to make sure the test was fair. They also used 3 experienced EV drivers who often changed vehicles.

Based on their tests, the Model X is by far the most efficient electric SUV with and without a trailer:

Models Wh per km/mi with trailer Wh per km/mi without trailer
Tesla Model X Long Range (100D) 279 Wh/449 Wh 153 Wh/246 Wh
Mercedes-Benz EQC 400 306 Wh/492 Wh 163 Wh/262 Wh
Audi e-tron 55 353 Wh/568 Wh 185 Wh/298 Wh

The EQC required about 10% more energy to travel the same distance as the Model X with a trailer.

Unsurprisingly, the e-tron, which is not very efficient (for an EV) as previously noted, came in last and required about 27% more energy to travel the same distance as the Model X with a trailer.

If my reformatting fails you can see the table in the actual link.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #30  
Tesla has the upper hand, but I do think Tesla and Audi/MB may attract very different customers, Tesla is very experimental in design, testing out very different instrument lay out etc, a bit like Citroen has been doing for decades, but if your dream is a VW Golf you probably don't like Citroen's experimental approach. The same with Tesla Vs Audi/MB.

Status
Not open for further replies.