Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,171  
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,172  
It's an entirely different mindset with an entirely different class of employee. GM and their employees want to build cars. Tesla and their employees want to change the world.
In this respect, Elon is still running a major corporation like a Tech Startup.

I say that, not to diminish the scale and depth of the technical pivot you alluded to (it's definitely not trivial), but to me it's the primary key to Tesla's performance as a disrupter and innovator.

There's a player position in American football (can't remember the name) were typically the top players are not only really big, but also extremely agile.

That ^ specific combination, whether you play football or are a major corporation, is hard to attain, but IMO, is orders of magnitude more difficult to sustain over time.....

Rgds, D.

Last edited:
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,173  
My 1974 Chev pickup with the 6-cylinder 250 caught on fire twice, both times a carburetor fire that I was able to put out. It turns out gasoline is flammable. Who knew? I also pulled the fire alarm on a parking structure fire at work. It was interesting to watch the FD put that one out. They didn't touch the burning car, but pulled adjacent cars to safety before they caught. The driver was nowhere in sight, so she pulled in, parked, and walked off before the smoke started boiling out of the engine well.

It's why the IBC requires a firewall assembly between the attached garage and living area of a house. Cars catch on fire all the time.
I pulled into the local grocery store and noticed a Blazer in the parking lot with the engine running, and fuel gushing from a leaky gas line. Went into the store, notified the manager... and left. I had no intention of being around if that caught fire.

I'll stand behind my previous comment; I'll keep my vehicles and living space separate. (Both trucks are parked away from my house, even without a garage.)

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,174  
Larry, there ARE four-door full-sized pickups! (overwhelming number of 1 ton ones have 8' beds) But, I agree, what's the point of a truck unless it has an actual/usable bed.

I was thinking of a four-door in order to facilitate my dog: I, my wife and out 90+lb dog in a day cab truck is a bit crowded. Decided to bag the idea and just continue to use my truck only as a farm truck: the cost of a replacement wasn't justifiable cost-wise.
When building the cottage, I carried so much in my 2002 Honda Odyssey. With the third row folded down and the middle row seats removed, you can carry full plywood sheets and drywall. I carried a 10 feet ladder and closed the trunk. Carried a 12 feet gutter and closed the trunk AND all windows. I carried two 10 feet kayak and closed the trunk. I carried a five seats paddle boat and closed the trunk. That thing had so much cargo space. Too bad a tree smashed it in 2016 because it was still running strong.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,175  
Maybe a Bit.
but,
This may explain a bit of what drives him
quoting some of Carl Sagan's speech

“I think fundamentally the future is vastly more exciting and interesting if we're a spacefaring civilization and a multiplanet species than if we're or not. ... You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great. And that's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about.”

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,176  
Lithium extraction from geothermal brine appears to be promising. It would kill two birds with one stone, generate carbon-neutral electricity and provide lithium. I don't know how many sites are appropriate. I know there are geothermal sites in the Rhine Valley and in SoCal that are in development. A cash crop from geothermal could really push the technology to the forefront. The brine, of course, goes back down the hole.

The new recycling techniques also recover the lithium instead of flushing it.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,177  
When building the cottage, I carried so much in my 2002 Honda Odyssey. With the third row folded down and the middle row seats removed, you can carry full plywood sheets and drywall. I carried a 10 feet ladder and closed the trunk. Carried a 12 feet gutter and closed the trunk AND all windows. I carried two 10 feet kayak and closed the trunk. I carried a five seats paddle boat and closed the trunk. That thing had so much cargo space. Too bad a tree smashed it in 2016 because it was still running strong.
My wife drives a 2005 Odyssey. The door post says it's rated for 2800+ lbs. cargo and passengers. She loves it. She's heading for the coast in the morning with a week's oak firewood in the back. I suspect the battery pack will reduce the payload substantially in the next generation of EV minivans.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,178  
Everytime I drive a EV it strikes me how fantastic nice a electric motor drives a car, so all the talk of people only wants gas/diesel engines because it's feels so much better is beyond my understanding. So it's to bad batteries still let's this perfect power train down :(

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,179  
Everytime I drive a EV it strikes me how fantastic nice a electric motor drives a car, so all the talk of people only wants gas/diesel engines because it's feels so much better is beyond my understanding. So it's to bad batteries still let's this perfect power train down :(
That’s why some of us are ready to jump on the “hybrid” bandwagon... now that others have tested the technology and brought prices down. I’ve long said that battery development for autos will carry over into other fields such as off grid homes; and it has.
I’m still not ready for a 50 HP electric outboard, although I’m sure somebody will post one in response.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,180  
It on its way in boats, so far it's mostly very small outboards and ferryes and some passenger boats.

This is a interesting boat that is in operation

Status
Not open for further replies.