Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,211  
Hay Dude, how many car batteries end up in a landfill? Around here, they get recycled.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,212  
Hay Dude, how many car batteries end up in a landfill? Around here, they get recycled.
We won’t know until 10s of millions of these vehicles are on the road.
The batteries wear-out. You can look it up. They have to go somewhere, right?

Last edited:
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,213  
Fuddy, your math checks out.

As long as:

You never replace your current truck. If you do, I would think those numbers apply to a gas or diesel truck also.
Imo, solar systems currently don’t pencil out when I pay .08-.13 for electricity. Unfortunately, that is going to drastically change. Xcel Energy, for example, has requested a 21% rate increase over the next three years here in Minnesota.
21% increase over 3 years is an arguement against EVs. My poor old abused farm truck is a '93 F150 with 300 six 4 speed 4x4 with a granny gear! I sure have pulled lots of heavy stuff with it though.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,214  
Just to say it is an interesting topic with good points on both sides. All I'm asking in a helpful way is think things out, do the math, look at all aspects.
Choices...give people choices.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,215  
I don’t agree.
Stuff can be mandated without being directly mandated. If “zero emissions” are mandated, what will happen to ICEVs?
No mandate for EVs was given, but IVEVs are legislated out of existence.
You can also price their fuel so high that people have to park them. Again, no mandate, but can’t drive ICEVs
I think you underestimate the power of the Auto Manufacturing and Big Oil lobbies.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,216  
We won’t know until 10s of millions of these vehicles are on the road. The batteries wear-out. You can look it up. They have to go somewhere, right?
I know where worn out car batteries go. The company I work for has done lots of work for Gopher Resource LLC, located in Eagan, MN. They recycle batteries.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,217  
I know where worn out car batteries go. The company I work for has done lots of work for Gopher Resource LLC, located in Eagan, MN. They recycle batteries.

I heard they can’t be 100% recycled and will end up in landfills.
Plus mining for batteries is dirty and dangerous work.

How do you feel about batteries mostly being made overseas? Mostly in China, like solar panels?
Good for America? Or good for China?

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,218  
The EV Revolution will happen. It's not going to be as great as we think it will be nor as bad as we think it will be. There will be a bell curve with early adopters at one end, and Luddites at the other end, with a whole bunch of us in the middle, give or take a standard deviation or two.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,219  
The progression I've seen in my lifetime with flashlights and cordless tools makes me think battery vehicles are possible too.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,220  
I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. While I look forward to EV's becoming better and better and hopefully more affordable, I don't want a car or truck with a touch screen. I think I'm going to be stuck with restoring an old ice vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.