Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #10,791  
batte along the highways and no way to connect them to your ev do you have special cables and a long ladder on top of your Teslass to connect to power lines
I think not
That is what they make electric outlets for. No point in a power line going somewhere if it doesn't terminate in an outlet.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #10,792  
I see that Colorado is going to pay people $6k at point of sale, to trade in used ICE vehicles either at least 12 years old, or that have failed an emissions test, for the purchase of a new EV. Where I live, finding anything running for $6k is almost impossible... And anyone driving that car, doesn't have the $$ for an EV regardless. Anyone trading in a 12 year old truck, for $6k? 🤔
Are you sure that's not $6k from the state, in addition to what the dealer gives you on trade? Of course, dealers will leverage this, low-balling the trade-in value accordingly.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #10,793  
Are you sure that's not $6k from the state, in addition to what the dealer gives you on trade? Of course, dealers will leverage this, low-balling the trade-in value accordingly.
They said they will give you $6k and destroy the car. So, I suppose if they reimburse the dealer too, since the car will be destroyed. The data the government provided didn't state as such

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #10,794  
They said they will give you $6k and destroy the car. So, I suppose if they reimburse the dealer too, since the car will be destroyed. The data the government provided didn't state as such
Nevermind. If they're destroying the car, then I'm sure your original assumption was correct. As you noted, not many people driving cars worth only $6k will be buying new EV's, other than those with ideological motivations for making the change or perhaps young professionals trading in their "student car" for their first "professional car".

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #10,795  
Interesting video of the Pepsi fleet and SMUD (local utility) integrated planning. The whole operation is renewable energy. The semis charge from 5-10 percent to 95 percent in 20 to 30 minutes.

And a personal note - see the high Pepsi warehouse? I worked on building that roof structure, when I was a journeyman carpenter in the 1970s. Walking the naked glue-lams before the roof panels got lifted up was spooky. After that I decided to go back to college for a graduate degree.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #10,796  
A level headed source of EV battery chemistry enhancements.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #10,797  

Bottom line under very similar conditions except for speed he was able to travel 330 miles taking the battery from 100% to 0% state of charge at 70 MPH but only 245 miles with cruise control set to 80 MPH.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #10,798  

Bottom line under very similar conditions except for speed he was able to travel 330 miles taking the battery from 100% to 0% state of charge at 70 MPH but only 245 miles with cruise control set to 80 MPH.
Of course. Even basic high school physics tells us fuel consumption is proportional to power required, and power required is proportional to wind resistance, and wind resistance is proportional to... speed.

Those people claiming their car gets the same range or mileage at any speed, are ignorant of very simple physics. Those claiming it gets better mileage at 70 mph than 50 mph are either driving a car that's very badly configured for 50 mph (wrong gear selection?) or also ignoring physics.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #10,799  
Nobody will go 100%-0% either. In reality, an EV will lose 30-40% of its claimed range, becuase charging to 100% and discharging below say 20%, reduces battery life, right? A petrol car doesn’t suffer from filling the tank, and driving to within 10% of its minimum fuel capacity.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #10,800  
Of course. Even basic high school physics tells us fuel consumption is proportional to power required, and power required is proportional to wind resistance, and wind resistance is proportional to... speed.

Those people claiming their car gets the same range or mileage at any speed, are ignorant of very simple physics. Those claiming it gets better mileage at 70 mph than 50 mph are either driving a car that's very badly configured for 50 mph (wrong gear selection?) or also ignoring physics.
Sadly in this day and age the masses need a YouTube video to be taught 7th grade physics.