Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #19,081  
Well... I have a different take or more accurately experience..., never been harassed in my diesel trucks or any other vehicles by anyone and have owned something north of 70 ICE vehicles.

The Tesla, it started before I even brought it home.

I was berated at the bank for even thinking about buying a Tesla by a teller. Had obscenities' screamed at me while being flipped off by a girl in a a Ford pickup as she accelerated to over 50 into a school zone in the first 2 days, and been coal rolled by 3 diesel truck owners so far.
Some people driving their trucks just lose their minds seeing an EV having the 'nerve' to actually be driving around up here. It ticks me Off, especially since some seem to be fresh transplants to our area. Our vehicle ownership is about 6 to 1 ICE to EV not counting motorcycles or golf carts or non runner ICE classic project rigs.
That is interesting, do you have a dash cam video of any of this, it seems everyone has one these days.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #19,082  
Waymo plays chess while Tesla plays checkers?

I dont think anyone even reads the links they post. From the article.

“However, Waymo’s impressive performance comes with an asterisk. While no one was behind the wheel during my rides, Waymo has remote operators that sometimes provide guidance to its vehicles (Waymo declined to tell me whether—or how often—remote operators intervened during my rides). And while Tesla’s FSD works on all road types, Waymo’s taxis avoid freeways.”

Or maybe dude remote driving the Wayno was really good at RC cars growing up?!?! Lol

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #19,083  
There are several EVs available that I would love to have, if I could afford one. There are several ICE vehicles I would buy if I could afford one. I just run the numbers. A tank of gas costs $50, but I'm retired and don't drive that much any more. It's cheaper to maintain my old vehicles than buy a new one.

If I were going to do a road trip to Glacier and Banff, I would want an ICE anyway. Otherwise, my longest trip, to visit family, is about 175 miles one way. Any EV on the market would handle that easily with a destination recharge. A trip to the doctor is 150 miles round trip. The grocery store is only 45 miles round trip. For visitors, I have a 50 amp circuit in the garage and another in the shop, so all they have to do is tuck their charger in the trunk. There's a bus stop only 3 miles away, so an electric bike might be handy if we ever get back to gas shortages. There's a rack on the front of the bus that will accommodate 3 bikes, so I could take it into town with me.

I wouldn't mind kicking the fossil fuel addiction, but my tractor is going to run on diesel longer than I will run on anything. Local delivery services with known routes are already switching to electric trucking because they are so much cheaper to run, but I very much doubt EV long haul trucking will ever be practical. We should have electrified our rail system a century ago.

We will have to build out our electrical supply to accommodate new load, but that can be rolled into the replacement process. Most of our generating capacity is 50 years old, and some is approaching the century mark. It has to be replaced anyway, so build bigger and better then next time.
You are a perfect for one of the 15min cities.

Let me ask you a question, do you see anything anywhere in this country where you can point to an increase in power generation? You do see all this "green" stuff going up, but they always shutter an existing power plant. Now if we look at CA where the EV has the largest market we have seen issues with the "grid". Do you think that will get better or worse as we move to more EV's. A thinking man has the answer.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #19,084  
Hmmm...thankfully I haven't experienced any of that. Fortunately the securing of loan and purchasing was all done online.

I live in a rural community where my youngest has a class of 30 and the entire K-12 numbers about 350. My daughter drives a GM Bolt EV to school and as far as I know hasn't been harassed.

I love to make fun of people who draw wrong conclusions about EV ownerships. 🙃
And I think in a rural "redneck" community where everyone wears a red hat you would see that don't you. But really you don't....want to know why.

Because at the end of the day I don't care what you drive, the decision is yours. This is the thing with the red hat wearing group, it is very much a you do you and I will do me. Where they do have issues is when you take my money (taxes) and give it to someone else to fund their transportation desires. I would bet if there was not a huge push by every .gov in the western world, as well as the non .gov types that really run the world, WEF/UN/WHO and whatever other alphabet group you can think of, if they did not use tax money to push it people would care less about a battery car. But that is not the world we live in is it. There is a huge push to force specific ways of thinking upon us, I think most of us can see that.

Wrapping it up in the garbage that is "climate change", can't call it global warming that went out of fashion in 2009 when all those emails came out that they are faking the data, google climategate for more info.

You are going to have jerks in every group, I got "coal rolled" driving my Honda Ridgeline....You know what they say about that group of people, the need to overcompensate for other "short" issues.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #19,086  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #19,087  
that's the classic 50 amp welder outlet. The round center pin is the 240v's neutral.
Modern wiring code wants a fourth pin for the earth ground - the green wire you see in near everything.
No. You have that backwards.
The round “D” shape 3rd pin is always ground. That’s always required to be there.
When a fourth pin is added, that would be the addition of neutral.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #19,088  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #19,089  
I thought a Y would be my next car. But I have plenty of time to see what else is out there. Consumer Reports' criticism's of the Y made me broaden my search. First, they said the touch screen was hard to understand for the non-techie, so my wife would find that a nightmare. Second, that the ride was unnecessarily harsh, pointed out in their Ioniq writeup, which they much preferred on that aspect. And the glass roof. I use a SUV as a real utility vehicle at times and I read that an owner cracked the roof glass adding aftermarket crossbars. I want roof carrying capability. At least to bring home the Christmas tree each year! And in a Tesla Y forum, there was general agreement among Californians that too much hot California sun required an aftermarket headliner. My home is in a place where the joke is you can tell a local because they open the car door then stand back five ft for the blast of superheated air to get our before entering the car. And you may need stove mitts to hold the steering wheel. I realize the Y has pre-conditioning available so maybe this isn't an issue but in the more general sense, I wouldn't prefer a glass roof.

So ... the search continues.
You might want you and your wife to test drive the Y before writing it off. I haven't read or subscribed to CR since the mid-90's for various reasons.

The concerns you have above are valid but can be easily solved by the headliner (which I'm probably going to get in the next few months) and just being careful when installing the crossbars. The ride, at least for the LR Y with 19" wheels, is not harsh to me but that is a personal anecdote.
The biggest concern would be your wife and the touchscreen but that would just take time to get used to and one item a test drive might not give you.
I think an EV for a female is perfect because there is little maintenance to worry about besides tires and windshield wiper fluid.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #19,090  
My

My ocean max charge is 32a 220v. You have 220v 50a. I charge at 110v 16a.
I set my Grizzle-E Classic Level 2 240V charger at 24amps. My charger is on a 40 amp breaker.