Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #19,071  
Kia Rio averages low 40s to high 30s. It's been great for $19K.
Downside is it doesn't turn heads!
20240522_192231.jpg
20240522_192308.jpg

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #19,072  
Fuddy, turning heads is not on my list of needs. Too bad the Rio is no longer offered.

0-60 times that Ev’ers rave about is another criteria not on my list.

I had my fling with a couple of Corvettes when I was younger. Older and wiser now.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #19,073  
IMG_3612.JPG
IMG_3608.JPG
IMG_3607.JPG

Found this set up in my new garage. What type of charging system will it support?

Attachments

• IMG_3612.JPG
    IMG_3612.JPG
    564.4 KB · Views: 22
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #19,077  
If the tesla's rise up, aim for hte batteries. Shooting hte battery of an ev will result in thermal runaway, they'll pretty much explode. EV's are tannerite gnomes on wheels.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #19,078  
Found this set up in my new garage. What type of charging system will it support?

Dunno what sort of EV charger is designed to use that. But if it's not familiar to you, that's the classic 50 amp welder outlet. The round center pin is the 240v's neutral.

Modern wiring code wants a fourth pin for the earth ground - the green wire you see in near everything. (different from the electrical circuit's neutral). I don't know if an EV charger requires the earth ground to operate. I suspect it might, its a safety feature.

Others who know more pointed out the center terminal is earth ground, And the fourth wire is needed for the 240v's neutral. If that fourth wire exists then you can get 120v from either hot blade to that neutral, for a grinder outlet etc on the welder's panel.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #19,079  
Dunno what sort of EV charger is designed to use that. But if it's not familiar to you, that's the classic 50 amp welder outlet. The round center pin is the 240v's neutral.

Modern wiring code wants a fourth pin for the earth ground - the green wire you see in near everything. (different from the electrical circuit's neutral). I don't know if an EV charger requires the earth ground to operate. I suspect it might, its a safety feature.
So this set-up will require a green wire (earth ground) before it can be utilized as a charging outlet?

Would this adaptor work? Or would the Tesla know the green ground is missing and refuse to charge?

or this

or this

Last edited: