Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #19,061  
I'm still not seeing any mention of this Ioniq 5 in this thread. I saw one in town. It looks like a decent replacement for my 20yo Focus Wagon that just won't die. Consumer Reports notes the first ones, 2022 model, had issues that kept the owners going back to the dealers for warranty work then 2023 and now 2024 are much better, about average across everything sold in the US. They rank it a favorite, recommended, in their small SUV category. I might consider a used 2023 at under $30,000 presently, since all EV's depreciate fast and I'll let the prior owner eat that. I don't need a replacement immediately, maybe used prices will be better then. Or, with the $7500 rebate available, a new one might not cost much more. I haven't researched cost.

CU's road test was interesting. The found acceleration and handling amazing, comparable to Tesla Y and I think third across everything they have reviewed this year. They said uneven road is absorbed far better than Tesla Y. And its much better in new-car reliability as reported to them by recent buyers of either. At some $10k less for a car in the similar category, this deserves a closer look.
Hyundai Ioniq 5 2024

Hyundai Ioniq 5 2024

Price Range: $41,800 - $59,400
CR MPGE: Overall 98 / City 110 / Hwy 87 mpge
#4 of 14 Electric SUVs
That’s interesting. A relative just gave me the latest CR annual auto issue, and I have it in my hands as I type. They rate the Hyundai Ionoq5 as a 67 as you quoted…. below the 72 the Tesla model Y got. Both are about the same price.
These scores are all well below the ICE and hybrid SUV’s.
In fact not a single EV made the CR top 10 small SUV list. A couple hybrids were in the top 10 though

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #19,062  
That’s interesting. A relative just gave me the latest CR annual auto issue, and I have it in my hands as I type. They rate the Hyundai Ionoq5 as a 67 as you quoted…. below the 72 the Tesla model Y got. Both are about the same price.
These scores are all well below the ICI and hybrid SUV’s.
In fact not a single EV made the CR top 10 small SUV list. A couple hybrids were in the top 10 though
I looked at CR's recent recommended Hyundai Tucson Hybrid, a mid size SUV. Even test drove one. It just seemed unnecessarily large for cargo capacity very slightly greater than this Ioniq. For one example the area between the front seats looks like over a foot of wasted space. And that hybrid really should go back to the dealer for every oil change during the warranty period (4k miles interval??) because its turbo needs their spec oil to maintain the warranty. Then I talked to an owner. She said mileage is disappointing, 30 mpg. My elderly (2005) Focus Wagon does that, I would gain nothing. As a primarily gas car this Tucson still needs to stop at gas stations about as often as the non-hybrid version. There's no advantage in that aspect. Looks to me the hybrid option compared to the conventional Tucson is only for the increased acceleration this second motor provides with no other benefits - and at substantial cost. I decided against that vehicle. Still reading about the Ioniq. I like the idea of an EV, no stops for gas and less maintenance overall - as well as keeping the old Subaru for when that is more appropriate.

Stay tuned. I've been studying without committing ever since the Ford C-max hybrid and then the Chevy Bolt hit the market, now 10 years! And the 2005 Focus Wagon still hasn't given me any reason to replace it. Boredom isn't sufficient reason to spend tens of $thousands just to join the modern era.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #19,063  
I looked at CR's recent recommended Hyundai Tucson Hybrid, a mid size SUV. Even test drove one. It just seemed unnecessarily large for cargo capacity very slightly greater than this Ioniq. For one example the area between the front seats looks like over a foot of wasted space. And that hybrid really should go back to the dealer for every oil change during the warranty period (4k miles interval??) because its turbo needs their spec oil to maintain the warranty. Then I talked to an owner. She said mileage is disappointing, 30 mpg. My elderly (2005) Focus Wagon does that, I would gain nothing. As a primarily gas car this Tucson still needs to stop at gas stations about as often as the non-hybrid version. There's no advantage in that aspect. Looks to me the hybrid option compared to the conventional Tucson is only for the increased acceleration this second motor provides with no other benefits - and at substantial cost. I decided against that vehicle. Still reading about the Ioniq. I like the idea of an EV, no stops for gas and less maintenance overall - as well as keeping the old Subaru for when that is more appropriate.

Stay tuned. I've been studying without committing ever since the Ford C-max hybrid and then the Chevy Bolt hit the market, now 10 years! And the 2005 Focus Wagon still hasn't given me any reason to replace it. Boredom isn't sufficient reason to spend tens of $thousands just to join the modern era.

Back when I was thinking of buying the Volt the DCT Ionic Hybrid looked good to me.

55 MPG IIRC. later some people had a clutch problem that would damage a seal and lead to oil leak.
I don't know how common that was but I liked that model. It did sip fuel.
here is the newer one almost 60 MPG and the price is very good

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #19,064  

30 mpg out of a hybrid is unacceptable mileage. I have a relative with an AWD ICE Honda CRV, and that returns consistent 35 mpg, so any hybrid should be at least that good.
I’m a bit surprised you’re not considering the American made model Y for the same price as the Hyundai. Doesn’t the Tesla have about 100 miles more range?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #19,065  
Back when I was thinking of buying the Volt the DCT Ionic Hybrid looked good to me.

55 MPG IIRC. later some people had a clutch problem that would damage a seal and lead to oil leak.
I don't know how common that was but I liked that model. It did sip fuel.
here is the newer one almost 60 MPG and the price is very good

Hmmm. Maybe buying one of those (2022 Ioniq Hybrid) used, would be a better choice than a more recent EV version.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #19,068  
30 mpg out of a hybrid is unacceptable mileage. I have a relative with an AWD ICE Honda CRV, and that returns consistent 35 mpg, so any hybrid should be at least that good.
I’m a bit surprised you’re not considering the American made model Y for the same price as the Hyundai. Doesn’t the Tesla have about 100 miles more range?
We are averaging over 33 mpg from our Hyundai Kona AWD ICE.
Can't imagine a hybrid only getting 30 mpg.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #19,069  
I thought a Y would be my next car. But I have plenty of time to see what else is out there. Consumer Reports' criticism's of the Y made me broaden my search. First, they said the touch screen was hard to understand for the non-techie, so my wife would find that a nightmare. Second, that the ride was unnecessarily harsh, pointed out in their Ioniq writeup, which they much preferred on that aspect. And the glass roof. I use a SUV as a real utility vehicle at times and I read that an owner cracked the roof glass adding aftermarket crossbars. I want roof carrying capability. At least to bring home the Christmas tree each year! And in a Tesla Y forum, there was general agreement among Californians that too much hot California sun required an aftermarket headliner. My home is in a place where the joke is you can tell a local because they open the car door then stand back five ft for the blast of superheated air to get our before entering the car. And you may need stove mitts to hold the steering wheel. I realize the Y has pre-conditioning available so maybe this isn't an issue but in the more general sense, I wouldn't prefer a glass roof.

So ... the search continues.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #19,070  
We are averaging over 33 mpg from our Hyundai Kona AWD ICE.
Can't imagine a hybrid only getting 30 mpg.
The Kona is more than we are budgeting to spend but seems like a great vehicle. It is on our list of possibilities.