Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,141  
And sadly there are many NEMA 5-15 outlets which can not really handle full power full time.
Source? I hope you mean due to either deterioration or improper installation. Any NEMA 5-15R is rated to handle 15 amps all day and night, when properly installed and maintained.

But you are going to ask 12A at 100% duty cycle. Very very few extension cords are capable.

Extension cords are rated on the packaging, when you purchase them, but everyone throws that away. Most code books use the same numbers, here's a link to the Texas code 400.5. You'll want to use column B of the table for thermoset and thermoplastic cords:

The most common cheap outdoor cord sold today is AWG-16, which is perfectly capable of carrying 13A all day and night, so your statement about very few extension cords being capable of carrying 12A is not correct. That said, anyone would do well to always buy cords at least AWG-14 (pref AWG-12), so as to not have to worry about which cord goes to which application, down the road. Again, see column B of the Table 400.5(A)(1) I linked above.

And before anyone starts talking about column A in that table, it is for 3-phase applications, in which you have three conductors carrying current. Your regular 3-wire (2C + ground) cords fall under column B, as only two of the three conductors are carrying current.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,142  
With the Tesla Model Y dual motor long range going for less than the average price of a new Toyota still boggles my mind and that's before any rebates

The traditional OEMs are driving customers to EVs mainly Teslas since Tesla's competitors have yet to materialize.

Ran into a guy that I hadn't seen in 30 years. I was in the Leaf and taking it to the car wash to get it cleaned up because the wife wants to start driving it. He asked if it was full electric and if I liked it. He wants to ride in the Tesla after I told him about it. He was surprised I remembered building and selling them their first computer and bring it to their house and training the kids how to use it and the 24 pin Star color printer for two hours. Made some kids happy that day.

He did say the local Toyota dealership had an EV now and that the sales guy didn't speak highly about it.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,144  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,145  
With the Tesla Model Y dual motor long range going for less than the average price of a new Toyota still boggles my mind and that's before any rebates
Not true.
Toyota offers a range of models with different prices. The 2022 C-HR starts at $23,880 and the 2022 Camry starts at $25,3951. The Toyota 4Runner starts at $39,555, the GR86 starts at $28,400, and the Avalon starts at $36,8252.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,146  
We have the typical OEM dealerships about ever 20 miles in my area. Subaru is like every 75 miles. Tesla showrooms are about ever 150 miles.

As the need for oil changes and physical recalls decline we would be fine with many less dealerships in my area. We've got people that drive up 100 mi just to go eat out.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,147  
Not true.
Toyota offers a range of models with different prices. The 2022 C-HR starts at $23,880 and the 2022 Camry starts at $25,3951. The Toyota 4Runner starts at $39,555, the GR86 starts at $28,400, and the Avalon starts at $36,8252.
You will see your error when you get caught up on current automotive facts concerning Toyota average selling price in the USA. 🙂

Not all Toyota buyers are bottom feeders. Look at the $60Kto $90K priced Toyota's.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,148  
Lots of ice "bottom feeder" cars are still less than the "bottom feeder" electrics like the (discontinued) $30k Chevy Bolt.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,149  
Source? I hope you mean due to either deterioration or improper installation. Any NEMA 5-15R is rated to handle 15 amps all day and night, when properly installed and maintained.

Extension cords are rated on the packaging, when you purchase them, but everyone throws that away. Most code books use the same numbers, here's a link to the Texas code 400.5. You'll want to use column B of the table for thermoset and thermoplastic cords:

The most common cheap outdoor cord sold today is AWG-16, which is perfectly capable of carrying 13A all day and night, so your statement about very few extension cords being capable of carrying 12A is not correct. That said, anyone would do well to always buy cords at least AWG-14 (pref AWG-12), so as to not have to worry about which cord goes to which application, down the road. Again, see column B of the Table 400.5(A)(1) I linked above.

And before anyone starts talking about column A in that table, it is for 3-phase applications, in which you have three conductors carrying current. Your regular 3-wire (2C + ground) cords fall under column B, as only two of the three conductors are carrying current.
There are many "Block Heater" Vehicle and sometimes Home Fires, up here in Canada. The first thing an Insurance Adjuster looks at is the Extension Cord.

In fact a lot of GM's come with a suitable cord to go from vehicle to home. With a special plug on the Vehicle's side so one has to use it.

And a Block Heater is only 400-500 watts

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,150  
Lots of ice "bottom feeder" cars are still less than the "bottom feeder" electrics like the (discontinued) $30k Chevy Bolt.
Compliance cars that are lifetime net losers like the Bolt are going away. I expect the same thing to happen to the Nissan Leaf.