Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,631  
Good to go!!! Like that.

Did not mention charge level at start and end, time or cost.

Flat rate is selectable .34 per KW but he pays $13 a month to be a Tesla "member"

In the comment section under the vid someone made the same comments about lack of basic info, so he added this link:
Showing from the beginning his first time going to a Tesla supercharger instead of the last 1/2 minute

17 minutes, about $11. he charged to 80% and added 33KW. This does not include the monthly fee on the member account.

The guy seems like someone who was inured to Charging at non Tesla charging locations, even though it still took him 3 tries.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,632  
Update on how the Tesla MY does in snow and on ICE, after mounting up the studded snows Have to say It is the best behaved AWD "car" I have driven so far, with the caveat that once it starts dragging it's underbelly I would switch to a 4x4 truck. The thick tire sidewalls also did wonders for the ride qualities.
Going to see how the wh per mile changes with snow tires and dropping temps.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,633  
Keep following this thread to get some "truth" instead of the hype on the "news" sections of the internet. You-tube is too time consuming for me to wade through.

My opinions about EV's have not changed much. I see them as viable for many suburban dwellers who can charge a home. True city residents (condos/apartments) who cannot charge at home will regret getting EV's. Rural folks are either too smart to drink the Kool-Aid, lack the infrastructure support, or do not have the money to spend on an EV.

In the US, roughly 30% are urban dwellers, 55% live in the suburbs and 15% are rural residents. Some urban dwellers may have "home charging" but I doubt many do. To me, it looks like about an 65%/35% split. 35% of the population will be SOL with EV's. IMO. even the 55% of suburban residents are not going to be "all in" on EV's so my ratios are skewed more favorably to EV's than "the truth".

This is why democracy does not work. 65% of people should not have the right to make the life of 35% of the population miserable.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,634  
Keep following this thread to get some "truth" instead of the hype on the "news" sections of the internet. You-tube is too time consuming for me to wade through.

My opinions about EV's have not changed much. I see them as viable for many suburban dwellers who can charge a home. True city residents (condos/apartments) who cannot charge at home will regret getting EV's. Rural folks are either too smart to drink the Kool-Aid, lack the infrastructure support, or do not have the money to spend on an EV.

In the US, roughly 30% are urban dwellers, 55% live in the suburbs and 15% are rural residents. Some urban dwellers may have "home charging" but I doubt many do. To me, it looks like about an 65%/35% split. 35% of the population will be SOL with EV's. IMO. even the 55% of suburban residents are not going to be "all in" on EV's so my ratios are skewed more favorably to EV's than "the truth".

This is why democracy does not work. 65% of people should not have the right to make the life of 35% of the population miserable.
You always have a choice. In the consumer market, even more so.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,635  
Flat rate is selectable .34 per KW but he pays $13 a month to be a Tesla "member"

In the comment section under the vid someone made the same comments about lack of basic info, so he added this link:
Showing from the beginning his first time going to a Tesla supercharger instead of the last 1/2 minute

17 minutes, about $11. he charged to 80% and added 33KW. This does not include the monthly fee on the member account.

The guy seems like someone who was inured to Charging at non Tesla charging locations, even though it still took him 3 tries.
There is no way I have the patience to handle what that guy did. I would have been combining cuss words in combinations never heard before. Three freakin different chargers, restarting app, restarting phone, etc. When I pull up to a gas pump and the card reader doesn't work which has only happened 2 times, I get very frustrated. I don't have time for that mess.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,636  
You always have a choice. In the consumer market, even more so.
Nope.....present Governments in power in North America, not keeping it a choice, instead forcing hand of consumers and manufacturers. My example of a rural consumer typical drive need was this past weekend. We had a afternoon baby shower to attend in a city 350 kilometers from home . We did not want spend money to over night in hotel . It is winter here, temp was 20 F. Full tank of gas. We left at 10 am. We did 5 minute drive thru for lunch and ate in Jeep. We got to downtown parking of event by 1:30 pm. Stayed at event till 4:30. Then drove the 350 km home, with 5 minute drive thru for food. Got home by 8 pm. No stops or time wasted for fuel and definitely no time or opportunity to spend hours charging up an EV. I expect to do same sort of trip for grandchildren ringette tournament. Day trips of 700 km in a couple weeks.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,637  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,638  
What strikes me that's so profound is over time they all have more "creature comforts" which to me means lazy. Back in the day (carburetor & Kettering ignition) you had to be able to tune & wrench on your ride, but that was the charm! To have the knowledge and ability to do it. Most, probably 99.9% think of having to tune & lube a car as a pita. My opinion is if you're unable to do that, change a flat, and easily get in & out, operate, hop up into a truck bed should you even be able to drive it?
Just because you can do that kind of maintenance doesn't mean you want to. Give me EFI and electronic ignition any day of the week! Carburetors suck. Points-condenser ignition systems suck. I have better things to do with my time than to constantly fiddle with a carb or change points & set dwell/timing every 8000 mi. Not fun in the summer, even less so in the winter.
All along I've thought the final "convenience" would be inductive charging, charging as you drive (coils in the road), at home and stations since you wouldn't even have to plug it in and elimination of range anxiety.
Not sure how that would work. Special lanes for EVs? I'd imagine a steel-framed vehicle would appear as a giant short circuit to those coils.
And who's going to pay for all that infrastructure?
Cars and trucks would be much less expensive if they were simple without all the tech junk we don't need or will use.
On this point we agree 100%.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,639  
Cars and trucks would be much less expensive if they were simple without all the tech junk we don't need or will use.
So, you know I'm a design engineer, I've spent my whole career designing product and then watching marketing folks do their magic in pricing the product. It's almost never "cost-plus", there are many more dominant factors in setting the price of a product, than cost. What will the market bear? How does it fit into our product hierarchy? Should this be a loss leader, to keep a customer in-brand or in-dealer? What will we make on service and/or subscriptions? What is the warranty cost of each model and feature group?

I would be very surprised if the price of any car is directly related the cost of the feature set included. I don't believe a $100k car has a BOM + direct labor cost that is 5x higher than a $20k car. The pricing is a function of other factors.

Moreover, there's enormous economies of scale at work in direct costing of cars. If ALL cars had the same tech features, it would likely cost less than removing them from 80% of the fleet, just for the sake of charging premiums on 20% of the fleet.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,640  
Just because you can do that kind of maintenance doesn't mean you want to. Give me EFI and electronic ignition any day of the week! Carburetors suck. Points-condenser ignition systems suck. I have better things to do with my time than to constantly fiddle with a carb or change points & set dwell/timing every 8000 mi. Not fun in the summer, even less so in the winter.

Not sure how that would work. Special lanes for EVs? I'd imagine a steel-framed vehicle would appear as a giant short circuit to those coils.
And who's going to pay for all that infrastructure?

On this point we agree 100%.
My understanding as "the new green deal" goes forward infrastructure money follows, i.e., money printed increasing our debt. The electric grid must be improved with more chargers.
Via electronic technology inductive charging is certainly possible, it has been for years with phone chargers. EVs are a powerful mobile computer, so it's easy as one approaches coil(s) it charges on the go. Any soon to be (?) obsolete ICE coils wouldn't be energized. What better place for solar panels than along major highways? Incorporated into that technology would be EV usage & billing (kWh usage). Same with parking lots & garages, easy to sense presence of an EV and charge while it sits over coil, no activation for non EV.
I'm not advocating any of this and would like to see a national debt reduction. I'm saying it is feasible, certainly making EVs much more practical...although I hope it doesn't happen.