Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,851  
Several I know had all electric back to the very first Leaf.

They now drive Hibrid saying no more range anxiety but very much like the electric component.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,852  
Our town trying to be green has an EV bus. Well it's ka-put, just like all of those EVs down in Chicago at the Tesla charging stations. My place is just in the range of the coverage area for the bus. Family can take it to get to work, get downtown get to the library, etc. Not right now or into the next few weeks. Temps have been in the negatives for a week for both the lows and the highs.

This Polar Vortex tends to cycle through every five years like this. It would pain me to be stranded for over a week each time it came around.

The one commercial farm in my area has 2 full EV tractors. Those are not running either. Nor are they used for snow removal.

Up until mid December when temps were pleasant for winter, EVs were still buzzing around. The roads have over 1-inch of ice on them in this brutal negative temps. It's either jaw wrenching traveling them or crunch crunch crunch as you go. And the traction control and ABS keeps flashing as I drive over it all.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,853  
The hospital linen service is a very old company and announced it was adding EV delivery trucks.

Today I met with the regional manager and I happened to ask about the EV trucks... He said they were delivered months ago but implementation is lagging with one issue upgrading power to charge the fleet.

Linen trucks are very long and on the road all day...

Manager said they are reworking routes to keep at it 100 mile max for the new EVs

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,854  
I wonder how the Chinese toasters will impact the domestic market. I think we all know that even with a tariff, they can undersell everyone if they want to.

I see they just commissioned their own RoRo ship to haul them to wherever. Hopefully, they don't have the same issue the Fermantle Highway did.

One thing about the Chinese and that is, they are all about cutting out any middleman in their operations.
And from a few articles I have read or watched , the China Government is directly subsidizing certain Chinese EV manufacturers to equivalent of 20,000 or more USD $ ....... their Chinese Dictator wants to eliminate all competition and thus have world needing them for cars too. .....and doing it with dirty coal to run the manufacturing plants. Meanwhile many in Church of Tesla, here at TBN, are gleeful when American Car plants stumble or pause on going all in upon seeing the Chinese Competition. Sadly even Ego Musk is using China resources under the guise of an " American" success story. We need someone to come along and help build America back again..... I wonder who that could be ;) ( and my Canada needs one too ! )

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,855  
Most people don't even pay attention to electric costs... Until they start plugging in a car. Then the free energy doesn't seem so free.
We must be on a sweet spot. E-fuel runs 3-4¢ a mile where F-fuel is more like 10¢ per mile

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,856  
There are several on this forum that don't regret their purchase. Just wait, they will tell you all about it. :LOL:
True that…but not so many have gone over 10 years or 150k miles.

BTW, what doctors drive is so irrelevant to be comical. Their “drivers” wrt car purchases are a bit different than those normal folks think about.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,857  
We must be on a sweet spot. E-fuel runs 3-4¢ a mile where F-fuel is more like 10¢ per mile
Short term thinking works for many.
I will do that in a few years as well…once my life expectancy is less than the life expectancy of my vehicle.

I may be delusional, but still think in terms of 200k miles and 15 years. But I am 73 years young.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,858  
I wonder why people feel compelled to post why they won't buy something, when it's obvious the thread is about said product. For instance there's a thread about snow blowers, i didn't hop on their thread and post, 'i'd never get one of those' which is probably true, because i don't have anyplace i could use it, nor get enough snow too.
Those who have an interest in any topic are free to post.

That is what these forums are all about. INTEREST!

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,859  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,860  
Iron has a lot going for it. Not like it's some whizz bang new tech that requires child labor to realize/