Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,721  
You have the the EV Hate Dogma down pat!

You oppose EV mandates (as I do) but then exercise your enlightenment supporting the same sort of mandate for hybrids. "Toyota has found the solution!" You novice newcomer! Your ilk hated on Toyota for the silly Prius, before the Prius was cool. To date no one has done a better hybrid than Toyota. But, a hybrid has all the complexity of an ICE with all the complexity of an EV. Plus added complexity merging the two. Only has a smaller battery than an EV.

Third worlds are enslaved by China because the formerly free world's Globalists have gifted exclusive markets, and allow China to rape and pillage to their delight. There is no real shortage of "rare earths", the USA has plenty of reserves but forbidden access by government. The only reason production of such materials is dirty is that China gets to do whatever they want.

Oppose EV mandates but then imply government is responsible for providing "charging infrastructure." Is not the government's place to provide gas stations for ICE nor EV.
Not once did I say or imply that hybrid mandates are required ! Not once did I state or imply that Governments must supply the infrastructure ! Not once was I ( my ilk ? ) against Toyota ! Quite frankly I am very impressed with them and their look at "all options" approach. You definitely do have the "twist and make up" comphrension skill down pat. Ironically on the rare earths topic, you prove my point. Yes USA and other first world countries have rare earths ! But now its getting obvious the cheapest and least enviro friendly mining countries will get the rare earth market. As for shortages.....read again , I was referring to shortages of infrastructure supplies, and if you have read anything you should know that transformers, wire products type products etc used in infrastructure upgrades is where shortages are predicted, when most every country in world will need upgrades. Holland is already seeing this first hand.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,722  
Clearly you shouldn't drive on rubber tires. They degrade and need to be replaced at some point.
Clearly tires don't generally cost up to 10's of thousands of dollars to replace on a car when they do

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,723  
My philosophy is buy a brand new cheap ICE that gets great mpg, costs well under $20K, great warranty, pay cash & invest what extra you saved by not buying EV, solar, charger.
I had one financed new car over 50 years ago at 19...never again.
Return on investment exceeds fuel, electricity, solar panels, depreciation. When warranty is up, sell & buy another one.
We despise high tech, FSD, AI, plug & wait.
But...to each his/her own.
We have some Tesla stock...hope they sell more.
vive la différence

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,724  
I am on the fence with hybrids. Are they best or worst of both technologies? Most get 40-50 miles on a charge, and for most daily needs that is enough.

Not nitpicking here, just clarifying..
You’re describing the more expensive PHEV plugin hybrid, not a standard hybrid.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,725  
If I could power my house 100% with solar... Everything. AND charge both vehicles 100% at home from solar...which I can't...

In 10 years, my $48,000 opportunity cost, would allow me to break even.

Seems a tall order for solar, considering I'd have to also spring for two EVs at a higher acquisition cost than ICE.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,726  
What most people don't factor in is compound interest. Two choices: buy a $48,000 solar system or invest that $48,000.
(If one finances, example given is WORSE!)
Last 10 years the S&P 500 (simply one example) returned 12.39%.
$48,000 ten years in an S&P index fund would yield $154,354.02 which doesn't make solar so attractive.
So as "return on investment", i.e. expenditure
"catches up" with electric bill you lose on the other end via investment potential.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,727  
What most people don't factor in is compound interest. Two choices: buy a $48,000 solar system or invest that $48,000.
(If one finances, example given is WORSE!)
Last 10 years the S&P 500 (simply one example) returned 12.39%.
$48,000 ten years in an S&P index fund would yield $154,354.02 which doesn't make solar so attractive.
So as "return on investment", i.e. expenditure
"catches up" with electric bill you lose on the other end via investment potential.
I was just about to post the same thing 😂

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,728  

This is a non Tesla engineer doing a deep dive on the new machine built $25K car. Hopefully he will do a deep dive on Tesla's upcoming first hybrid car involving SpaceX engineers.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,729  
Right now, EV’s are a “fun” technology alternative for people who are pretty well off financially. For the majority, it’s certainly not going to be cheaper than ICE vehicles.
If you got plenty of spare money,go ahead and buy a solar battery setup and a battery car, it’s your choice. Makes you feel like you’re saving the planet.. It’s an alternative , almost like a hobby, to say, buying a new boat , or in-ground pool.
Let’s not pretend though that it’s a good economic decision for the masses.
First you need to be well off enough to have the cash sitting around doing nothing, to buy such expensive things.

BTW: “rebates “ on solar installations and EV’s are not rebates. They’re “tax credits “. Low income people don’t owe enough taxes to even be able to use tax credits, so low income families would pay the full price

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,730  
Low income not paying taxes or higher income also do not qualify for tax credits regardless of how much taxes they pay.