Battery powered chainsaw

/ Battery powered chainsaw #121  
I have a Sthil 140c. It has a 12” bar and a Picco chain. It’s great for limbing small trees or keeping handy while running the tractor for limbs and chopping up small stuff that’s in the way. I’m very happy with it knowing it’s size and limitations. Where this one shines is trail maintenance. Small and light to carry, but way easier to get fallen logs out of he way over a hand saw. And no noise. Battery lasts about what a tank of fuel would.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #122  
I love the smell of two stroke in the morning...

I hope this trend continues with battery, it should bring some good old powersaws to market. Then I can scoop them off you old farts.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #123  
who owns owns one ? Brand ?
I've had a Greenworks 16in 40v battery chainsaw for years. I heat my 2300 sq ft house with wood, and that's the saw I use. Not perfect, uses up batteries fairly quickly (I have 6), but I'm always cutting wood. No problem starting it up, the chain stops when you release the trigger, and its very quiet so I don't need ear protection. I hate loudness of any kind. It's a useful tool.

Having said that, when I fired up my 20" gas Stihl, it was very easy to go through some big stuff, and quickly. For some reason, though I can't get it to start now.

Last edited:
   / Battery powered chainsaw #124  
I love the smell of two stroke in the morning...

I hope this trend continues with battery, it should bring some good old powersaws to market. Then I can scoop them off you old farts.
You've managed to respond several times to this thread without adding anything but snarky comments. Ever use a battery powered saw? Perhaps you should invest in some two stroke drills and impact drivers while you are at it.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #125  
BTW...if anyone has a Stihl 076 super...take my money.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #126  
You've managed to respond several times to this thread without adding anything but snarky comments. Ever use a battery powered saw? Perhaps you should invest in some two stroke drills and impact drivers while you are at it.

Thanks for being observant. And yes, I have used a battery saw. I think it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out I was not impressed.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #127  
who owns owns one ? Brand ?
I have a Stihl MS120c. It's small, but great for limbing, and trimming, and will take down the occasional 4-8" tree. The bar is 12" with Picco chain, so it can't be rushed, but it has never not ripped into stuff with more gusto than I imagined. I'm happy. And, that battery life is surprising.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #128  
My son purchased an EGO saw, as he already had an EGO mower, hedge trimmer, and blower. I got to try it out last fall, and I was impressed with it, after I sharpened the chain. It had a really good bite and cut, and the battery went for quite some time, and when I put it back on the charger, it showed only 80% used. Pretty good for over an hour of cutting up a small 8" apple and limbs. However, I was not impressed with the bar. It was thin and in my estimation, quite flimsy. I could see a good pinch making it nearly worthless in a heartbeat. I can see battery saws in use in and around a home or camp site. They are easy, clean and quiet. I can also see their use as for FD and rescue, as many of those vehicles have build in A/C power, to keep batteries up to snuff. They also might be useful as a tool on a tractor/snowmobile/ATV. However, for serious loggers, power line work, disaster clean up and such, I think you will see gas saws will live a long time.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #130  
I had always used 2 stroke chainsaws but kept an eye on the development of the battery saws. It was enlightening to purchase a Makita battery powered impact gun for lug nuts and big jobs around the place, since it was more powerful than my air tools and way more portable.

I had the chance during "snowmaggedon" the winter of 20-21 here in Texas where it got too cold for my 2 stroke saw to run well, and we needed more wood. Went down to Ace Hardware and picked up an EGO saw to go with my blower and proceeded to cut over a truckload of dry wood with ease. Not sure what was wrong with my Stihl, since it usually runs well and I was running good non-ethanol fuel, but it just didn't work.

Since that time, I've used the snot out of the EGO saw, since it is way lighter than my farm boss, quieter, easier to use, etc. Cleared a bunch of cedars behind the house and cut a bunch of firewood. It's amazing actually.

And if it quits working in a few years and I can't get a new battery for it, I'll either go back to using my 2 stroke or buy whatever new improved saw that has come out to replace it. The labor and hassle saved is already worth the price I paid, not to mention the fact that I was able to heat my home for several days when I really needed it. It works fantastic for me.

It is interesting how many different kinds of battery saws people have mentioned using, and almost all are happy with their choice. That would indicate battery power is a superior technology for at least one segment of the saw market.