Bear attack in AZ

/ Bear attack in AZ #71  
I would think dogs would be less of an attraction than goats or sheep. I have the dogs to protect livestock, from chickens to cattle
I have had dogs running off coyotes while a bobcat went after ducks on the other end. So now I have more dogs :cool:

/ Bear attack in AZ #72  
How nice to be compared to some meme meant to be funny.
The hero comment was nice....LOL. Of course the term "Hero" is subjective.

Let's see, I have four kids and a regular bear problem. Not of my own making, I can't control my neighbors and their lack of common sense with wildlife nor can I control the government making a Bear "Preserve". I have had multiple bears blocking my path back to my house and not move on, regardless of yelling, making myself look larger than I am, shooting in the dirt to scare, using TWRA rubber buckshot rounds and with TWRA permission buckshot in the rump.

What I can control is multiple bears ransacking my chicken coops, rabbit cages and have had a couple as bold as going after my dogs. If they try and get my trash, I over look that. If they try and get my feed storage, I over look that. Going after my dog, going after my animals, and making it so if I walk out my back door I have to be armed is a problem. Literally opened the door last year to a bear 10 feet away, it looked at me as I yelled and slammed the door only to just casually walk to the edge of my driveway and sit down.

Have no fear though, me dropping a problem bear will only have a positive outcome for my community. The elderly liberal couple across the street, have zero issues with me using my firearms to chase a bear off for them. The young newly married couple with toddlers have zero issue with me helping to make sure their chickens and rabbits are safe. Of course they don't believe in firearms or hunting either.

"Hero"...LMBO. I prefer to live a life following the Lord and doing what's right because it's right regardless of how others feel.
You know I was joking.. right!

/ Bear attack in AZ #73  
   / Bear attack in AZ #74  
Yep, we have those too. Around here we wear boots and make noise when outside. They will try to get away, but some are just more hungry than scared. I carry a sidearm when outside for the slow learners. This one was next to my vegetable garden. The chicken wire over the bottom of the 2x4 fence was supposed to keep the rabbits out. They must be able to fly here. :rolleyes:

View attachment 806700
They actually bury the snake mesh here down under the surface as well to ensure they don’t go under. That said those holes in the fence look plenty big for that size body to fit through.

They also do climb..

/ Bear attack in AZ #75  
I keep shovels strategically located around the buildings during the summer season. For that purpose.
Yup, so do I 😉

1687195160113.jpeg

/ Bear attack in AZ #77  
They actually bury the snake mesh here down under the surface as well to ensure they don’t go under. That said those holes in the fence look plenty big for that size body to fit through.

They also do climb..

Rattlers climb some but black rat snakes will climb anything. Straight up walls, posts, trees. Amazing body control you can "velcro" them to anything except glass.

/ Bear attack in AZ #78  
I would think dogs would be less of an attraction than goats or sheep. I have the dogs to protect livestock, from chickens to cattle
I have had dogs running off coyotes while a bobcat went after ducks on the other end. So now I have more dogs :cool:
Yea I guess the concern is dogs running off away from you or from your property line and then a kitty following it home, that’s what happened in Canada more than once…. Plus the bastards will stalk you while you are out when hiking, I have mining operations in BC and Arizona and they’ll sit on the edge of the forest line watching and waiting for a chance to end someone’s life, bears are more like “whatever, later I’m outta here”.

/ Bear attack in AZ #79  
Rattlers climb some but black rat snakes will climb anything. Straight up walls, posts, trees. Amazing body control you can "velcro" them to anything except glass.
Lord have mercy, what the hell’s next, polar bears with chainsaws?

OMG… forget I said that, it’s too late!!!

1687198464932.jpeg

/ Bear attack in AZ #80  
Bears may be afraid of dogs but sadly (at least with our Canadian mountain lions) while that dog is out scaring the bear off your property, they can actually lure big cats in that otherwise wouldn’t have visited…

I have a lot of deer, and if there is a cougar working the area the dogs will start bringing back kill remnants. When that happens, I strap on a .357. I load FBI rounds, 158 gr. JHP. That's enough to discourage anything I might encounter, and I'm a pretty good shot. I've never had to use it.