Beet juice?

/ Beet juice? #1  

beargap

Tractor
Ford Jubilee, Farmall Cub, MF GC2400
I have been reading a series of posts about the rough ride of the GC SCUTS with interest, as my 2008 GC2400 certainly has the roughest ride of any of the 4 tractors here on the farm. Until those posts I had assumed it was because the little SCUT has the smallest diameter wheels and there is no long-travel seat springing as on all the other farm tractors. However, one fellow found making sure the tire pressure was no more than 15psi really helped. Well, I only got this little beast 3 years ago and had never checked the pressure, so while I was working on another tractor with a low tire, I thought I'd check the GC2400.I couldn't seem to unscrew the valve cap, and actually had to resort to pliers to get it started when SPLOOSH! I was sprayed with a dark amber/brown sticky substance! I jammed what appears to be a plastic plug back in the hole, but not before around a pint of that sweet sticky stuff was all over me, my tools, and the adjacent tractor. What the heck?

We use fluid filled tires on 2 of the other tractors, but I have used windshield washer fluid when I added it and always it was through a standard Schrader tire valve using an adapter. Checking pressure is done the same way. Was that beet juice? What is this fill point? Is that a plug used when a commercial dealer adds fluid? it was certainly new to me. I guess this helps explain the rough ride, too...

=Vic=

/ Beet juice? #2  
Do you live in region temp can get 0F or colder?

/ Beet juice? #3  
Most valve stems designed for liquid filling are a two part valve stem.
Did you by chance end up unscrewing the body instead of the valve cap.

Air Liquid Tubeless Clamp-in Valves​

For tractors, graders, loaders.

Air liquid tubeless clamp-in valves enable you to fill tire with liquid quickly and easily. It can provide a large opening by removing TRCH3.
Fits .625” rim hole.
Installation torque 5 – 8Nm​

TR618A series​

TR618A-TRCH3

Extair No.ETRTO No.A (mm)B(mm)α(°)Description
TR618AV5.01.148--air-liquid clam-in valve stem
TR621AV5-02-1397565
TR622AV5-02-24411690
TR623AV5-02-3395765
TR CH3V4.02.1Core housing for air-water valves, knurled or octagon type
Fits.812" rim hole with larger rubber grommet.

TR618B series​

TR618B

Extair No.Height (mm)Description
TR618B38air-liquid clam-in valve stem
N-114222blind valve
TR618BSPspud
TR618BPplug

Air Liquid Snap-in Valves—TR618​

TR618 air liquid snap-ins can replace TR618A if the air pressure is under 65PSI.
Fits .625” rim hole.​

TR618-snap-in

Air Liquid Extensions​

EX301A and EX302A Air- Liquid Extension make tractor or grader valve stems more accessible by providing bend angle and length.​

Air Liquid Tube Valves​

Air Liquid Tube Valves feature removable core housing, vulc-on rubber base to provide tube repair. “Cold” or “Hot” application base can be ordered.​

TR218A

Extair No.Height (mm)Description
TR218A48air liquid tube valve
TR220A57air liquid tube valve
VS22150air liquid tube valve
TRCH1for old style TR218 & TR220
LN10brass nuts
LN10Pplastic nuts

Tractor Front Wheel Valves — TV6008 Series​

TV6008 series tractor front wheel valves feature low profile above valve hole. Brass finish, chrome and nickel plated are all available.​

TV6008

Extair No.Dill No.Description
TV6008VS936-RZtractor front wheel valves, brass finish
TV6008CVS936-RWtractor front wheel valves, brass finish
VS1070-tractor front wheel valves, brass finish
grommet RG39 fits .453 rim hole, RG54 fits .625 rim hole.

Air Liquid Valves TR618A Series TR618B Series TR618 Snap-in Valves Air Liquid Extensions Air Liquid Tube Valves TV6008 TRJ650 TRJ661 TRJ662 Large Bore Spuds

/ Beet juice? #4  
Beet juice is an environmentally friendly (and most say anti-corrosive) agent put in tractor tires to add weight/ballast in colder climates. If you live in the South and never get freezing temps you can just use water. For awhile folks were putting Calcium Chloride in their tires until everyone figured out it was corroding the rims. Some use other substances as well.

First, it is pretty stupid IMO to load tires as small as yours with anything. Wheel weights are usually a better option.

Second, if it was done properly the top 20% ish of the tire should be air. Rotate the tire so the stem is at 12 o’clock, then try and open it.

However note the 15 psi target might be more of an issue with such a small volume of air but you can try it.
As far as the ride..tractors are inherently rough with no shocks. The only “shock“ absorption you have is the cushion on the tires. The smaller the tire….you get the picture. If you put higher profile tires, then you also raise the center of gravity and make the machine more tippy….not good. It’s a pickle, but maybe others with SCUTs have some ideas for ya.

/ Beet juice? #5  
Rear tires are supposed to be filled 75% with liquid, leaving 25% of tire volume for air = suspension.

Inexperienced mechanics may fill rear tires 100% with liquid. This requires the tires to by laying on the floor. A rough ride results.

/ Beet juice?
Beet juice is an environmentally friendly (and most say anti-corrosive) agent put in tractor tires to add weight/ballast in colder climates. If you live in the South and never get freezing temps you can just use water. For awhile folks were putting Calcium Chloride in their tires until everyone figured out it was corroding the rims. Some use other substances as well.

First, it is pretty stupid IMO to load tires as small as yours with anything. Wheel weights are usually a better option.

Second, if it was done properly the top 20% ish of the tire should be air. Rotate the tire so the stem is at 12 o’clock, then try and open it.

However note the 15 psi target might be more of an issue with such a small volume of air but you can try it.
As far as the ride..tractors are inherently rough with no shocks. The only “shock“ absorption you have is the cushion on the tires. The smaller the tire….you get the picture. If you put higher profile tires, then you also raise the center of gravity and make the machine more tippy….not good. It’s a pickle, but maybe others with SCUTs have some ideas for ya.
Thanks for all the comments. The tire "valve" appeared to be all plastic/rubber with no metal insert, but I only observed it for a couple of seconds before jamming it back in the hole. Interestingly, the valve on the other side is all metal, which I had not noticed before. It looked like a typical tire valve, but the "cap" didn't screw off and pulled the insides out, so it may have become stuck from that nasty beet juice.

We do get below zero at times here in eastern PA, but I have had tractors that just had water in the tires. Those usually sit all winter. The ones used for plowing snow either have winter windshield washer fluid (my favorite...environmentally safe, non-corrosive...cheap) or big wheel weights. Those tractors have dozer blades on the front so you can plow in a single motion, thowing snow to the side. I've only used the front end loader on the SCUT to move snow relatively short distances or to pile it up. The ride is rough in fields or in the woods, but OK on lawns or driveways.

/ Beet juice? #7  
Beet juice is sticky stuff. Like a combination of maple syrup and honey. I have around 70 gallons in each of rear tractor tires.

Check the tire pressure. Valve stem to 12-'O-clock high. A puff or two of compressed air into the valve stem - check the pressure.

The compressed air should clear the valve stem and blow any beet juice back into the tire.

I check the inflation of my rear tires every spring. Drive the tractor out onto a hard spot on the driveway. Make sure there is full chevron contact with the ground. All the way across the chevrons. In my case this equals about 16 psi in the tire.

/ Beet juice? #8  
Thanks for all the comments. The tire "valve" appeared to be all plastic/rubber with no metal insert, but I only observed it for a couple of seconds before jamming it back in the hole. Interestingly, the valve on the other side is all metal, which I had not noticed before. It looked like a typical tire valve, but the "cap" didn't screw off and pulled the insides out, so it may have become stuck from that nasty beet juice.

We do get below zero at times here in eastern PA, but I have had tractors that just had water in the tires. Those usually sit all winter. The ones used for plowing snow either have winter windshield washer fluid (my favorite...environmentally safe, non-corrosive...cheap) or big wheel weights. Those tractors have dozer blades on the front so you can plow in a single motion, thowing snow to the side. I've only used the front end loader on the SCUT to move snow relatively short distances or to pile it up. The ride is rough in fields or in the woods, but OK on lawns or driveways.

Are you “sure” those tires were water only, or did they have some antifreeze/CaCl in them? Never a good idea to use water only in freezing temps.

As Jeff mentioned I would put tires with stems at 12oclock and see if you get air out. If not, then you need to drain some beet juice And replace it with air.

/ Beet juice?
Beet juice is sticky stuff. Like a combination of maple syrup and honey. I have around 70 gallons in each of rear tractor tires.

Check the tire pressure. Valve stem to 12-'O-clock high. A puff or two of compressed air into the valve stem - check the pressure.

The compressed air should clear the valve stem and blow any beet juice back into the tire.

I check the inflation of my rear tires every spring. Drive the tractor out onto a hard spot on the driveway. Make sure there is full chevron contact with the ground. All the way across the chevrons. In my case this equals about 16 psi in the tire.
I was aware that beet juice (aka. "Rim Gaurd") was used for weight, but had not seen it offered as an option when getting ag tires installed before. I surely won't ever ask for it, based on this. Both tire valve caps, plastic on the one that popped and metal on the other side, are well and truly stuck. Given the experience with the one coming apart when I used pliers on the stem and cap trying to get it to turn, I am reluctant to fiddle with those again. Is there a trick for freeing them from the dried/sticky juice?

/ Beet juice? #10  
Strange - I've had Rim Guard in my rear tires for twelve years now. It has never became "dry". It's always been thick, blood red and sticky. Warm water should easily remove Rim Guard.

Likewise - I've never seen/heard of a valve stem that is metal on the inside and plastic on the outside. I've had two tractors with fluid filled rear tires. Both had metal inside/outside with rubber washers to maintain the seal. Like the TR618A series in LouNY's post#3 above.

You are set up to add WW fluid to your tires. Maybe a bit of warm water blown back thru the valve stem would clear them. Maybe they are just too gummed up to be functional.

Whatever - I would want to have valve stems on my rear tires that were "in tune" with whatever was in the tires. This might mean having a dealer drain down the "juice" and install proper valve stems.