Best Attachment for Parking Lot Leveling

/ Best Attachment for Parking Lot Leveling #41  
Mine is a Land Pride - GS2584 @ 800#. The blades are both angled the same. I don't know that one type is better than the other. A LPGS does not move material horizontally. OR - so very little as to be not noticeable. As long as it - scrapes up, lifts, resets and levels. That's about all you can ask. With the ripper teeth it does a fantastic job keeping my mile long gravel driveway smooth.
IMG_0210.jpeg

/ Best Attachment for Parking Lot Leveling #42  
I tried for years and years to maintain the driveway with just a rear blade. You would think after 30 years or so - a person would master the rear blade. NOT SO!!!! The problem - the front wheels on the tractor go down - the rear blade goes up and vice versa. It's just not humanly possible to control the rear blade with the 3-point system as the tractor is going up and down. My HD Rhino rear blade is for driveway ditch maintenance - snow removal - cutting out new trails thru the outback on my property.

/ Best Attachment for Parking Lot Leveling #43  
I tried for years and years to maintain the driveway with just a rear blade. You would think after 30 years or so - a person would master the rear blade. NOT SO!!!! The problem - the front wheels on the tractor go down - the rear blade goes up and vice versa. It's just not humanly possible to control the rear blade with the 3-point system as the tractor is going up and down. My HD Rhino rear blade is for driveway ditch maintenance - snow removal - cutting out new trails thru the outback on my property.
Correct draft and float can help with this.............. But, the way I work with dips or washboards is simply angle the blade, and make multiple passes. Each pass will reduce the depth and increase the width of the dip. With enough passes the dips will be too shallow to notice, or I guess if you have enough of them they will just merge.

I farmed as a kid, but building maintaining roads is largely unrelated to what I had experience with. I spent a fair amount of time moving the dips and the humps, fought with top link, wasted a fair amount of fuel.

Set the blade level, 25 degree or so angle then work one blade wide both directions. 4 - 8 passes you should have flat ground. If you drive is wider than your blade, work the other side, same way.

When done, tilt the blade to the grade you want, and work up and back with low edge of blade at the ditch, and high edge of blade to center of driveway. When you have the grade you want, you should have a nice smooth drive.

Best,

ed

/ Best Attachment for Parking Lot Leveling #44  
Laser

/ Best Attachment for Parking Lot Leveling #45  
Being a grader guy, I like to move material back and forth across the roadbed.

Makes me wonder if opposing blade angles might be slightly better?

No experience to confirm that.

/ Best Attachment for Parking Lot Leveling #47  
I do not have a LPGS. I have saw two different designs in regards to blade angle. One type have both blades angled the same direction. One type have the blades at opposite angles.

Which is yours? Thoughts about which would be best?
My blades are straight across and flat:

P7160004.JPG
P7160008.JPG

6' Wide:

P7190005.JPG
P1180002.JPG
P1180003.JPG

/ Best Attachment for Parking Lot Leveling #48  
After reading this thread and all of the success you guys have with the land plane, I think that would be a tool I need to invest in.

I'm probably going to be buying a land plane this spring and wonder what size I should stick with for my Yanmar SA425. Weighs 1,700 without the loader so add another 400 - 500 for loader and the tires are loaded so some where in the Mid #2,000 range. I think 60" is probably safe but didn't know if it would handle 72"?

/ Best Attachment for Parking Lot Leveling #49  
Depends upon what LPGS you get. With mine at 800# - I can adjust how much "cut" the two blades will make. It's adjusted at ~ 1.5" cut. I could go to as much as 2.0" OR to almost nothing.

Remember - with land engagement implements - weight is your friend. Get one, like mine, where you can adjust the blade cut depth. You can, within reasonable limits, put extra weight on the LPGS to increase the cut. Mine also has manual adjusted scarifiers. Really nice for digging out a pothole or washout rivlet and getting the fill dirt to bond.

/ Best Attachment for Parking Lot Leveling #50  
After reading this thread and all of the success you guys have with the land plane, I think that would be a tool I need to invest in.

I'm probably going to be buying a land plane this spring and wonder what size I should stick with for my Yanmar SA425. Weighs 1,700 without the loader so add another 400 - 500 for loader and the tires are loaded so some where in the Mid #2,000 range. I think 60" is probably safe but didn't know if it would handle 72"?
The width of the outside of the tires is all you really need. I have scrap steel plates on mine for weight. Good investment.