Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved?

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #201  
I’d bet a little poof and the shot rolls out the barrel. :sleep:
The paper wads may also catch fire, for a little excitement.

PS: I should have put an apostrophe in "Grandfather's", They only came from one person.

Last edited:
   / Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #202  
Metallic cartridges stored in a cool dry place can easily last 100 years. Many cartridges from WW1 have been successfully test fired recently. Hot and damp is another matter entirely. Under water is never good. Paper shotshells um. I have my doubts. They get damp easily and they can draw moisture from the air, because they are not really sealed. I would think the old metallic shotshells from the 1880's if they had a good seal on the mouth of the case would actually be better. But they did have black powder in them, and black powder itself is hydroscopic. So probably not too good there either. But a 30-06 from 1917 will likely go bang if it was well stored. I have shot ammo from the early 1950's (30-06 stored in sealed spam cans) and it was like new. So bottom line, let not your heart be troubled about metallic cartridges reasonably stored.

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #203  
Our local gun shop usually has most ammo and the owners won’t let folks come clean them out. You can usually get a brick of 22’s but he won’t sell you ten. Much appreciated.
And what is the price per, at the moment... curious because prices around here are crazy if you can even find it?

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #204  
And what is the price per, at the moment... curious because prices around here are crazy if you can even find it?
Take a deep breath and click this link...

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #205  
Take a deep breath and click this link...

Holy **** and shove me in it. I have never seen anything like that. $250 a brick for 22LR.

I should have mortgaged the house to buy ammo back when it was less than $30 a brick. Mein Gott, Mein Gott, there is so much money to be made on ammo today.

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #206  
Think about it. What investment vehicle could possibly give a 1000 percent return? Stocks, not likely. Land and houses? nope. Gold or Silver, I don't think so. No, ammo, depending on variable political winds, is the best investment vehicle on this planet that I have seen.

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #207  
Think about it. What investment vehicle could possibly give a 1000 percent return? Stocks, not likely. Land and houses? nope. Gold or Silver, I don't think so. No, ammo, depending on variable political winds, is the best investment vehicle on this planet that I have seen.
You forgot toilet paper at the start of the pandemic. :rolleyes:

But yes, it's nuts. I purchased 2000 rnds of .22LR back at the start of the last ammo crisis for a little under 6 cents a round. Remember when almost all of us thought .22LR at 6 cents a round was robbery?

That stuff on cheaper than dirt is 50 cents a round. Price gouging during national crisis is illegal for stuff like gas and food. Apparently not so much with ammo.

It's gotten to the point that I don't want to target practice due to expending my supply too low. It used to be when I'd get down to 2 or 3 boxes of 50 I'd just go out and buy another 500. Can't do that anymore.

Hopefully things will calm down.

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #208  
.45 ACP ammo varies from over a dollar a round to around $2 per round. Man that is ridiculous. And this is for 230 grain ball ammo, not performance defensive rounds.

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #209  
It's like so many other things. NOT knowing the future. When TP is going to be back on the shelves, or when the power will come back on.

You would kick yourself, if you blew away your ammo plinking, and then found out no more was forthcoming, or at outgageous prices.

I will never understand why some products that are perfectly sealed, suggest storage in the dark, dry or similar location. There is a lot I don't understand!

/ Best firearm for home protection? I realize a lot is personal choice involved? #210  
I have an 870 near the front door with 600 grain Dixie hard cast slugs. About 3600 foot pounds of energy. But where I live, a guy on meth is unlikely. But a brown bear is. :rolleyes: Otherwise my carry arm is a Kimber 1911 in .45 ACP or a S&W 629 in .44 mag. For people, .44 Special rounds are great.