Best Implement To Pull Out Multiflora Rose?

/ Best Implement To Pull Out Multiflora Rose? #1  

Milo

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 3520, Ferris Z2100, Kawasaki Mule Pro MX, Honda Pioneer 520
I have a fair amount of multiflora rose around and yesterday took out the tractor with the EA Root Grapple to work on the stuff. Problem is the teeth are so far apart it can't grip the vines so they just slide through. What's the best way or best implement to pull the stuff out?

/ Best Implement To Pull Out Multiflora Rose? #2  
I had a very large multiflora bush that started as a single planting 36+ years ago. This "bush" was about 25 feet in diameter and four and a half feet high. So I hit it with my VERY large Stihl FS350 weed whacker. It worked but threw chunks of thorny rose bramble everywhere - AND back on me.

So.... I took a chance. Put on my Carhart jacket and bibs - got on my JD G100 riding lawn mower and slowly but surely mulched that bush at about 6" per pass. It worked amazingly well. The first umpteen passes were as high as the mower could be set. Then mid range - finally as low as she would go.

And then since all the stubble and roots remained - I hit the area with a good dose of Roundup. That all took place three years ago. Finally this spring - no little multiflora shoots have emerged. My normal follow-up the two following years, after the great cutting, Roundup on the little emerging shoots.

The bush was beautiful - totally covered with bright yellow flowers in the spring. But it was completely taking over the side of the house and had to go.

/ Best Implement To Pull Out Multiflora Rose? #3  
I’ve fought that stuff for forty six years. At one time, the Ag Extention Service was touting multiflora rose as the ultimate permant fence and I think my farm must have been a demonstration plot.
The only permant solution i’ve Found is sprayed on brush killer. Even scratching it out with the back hoe seemed to make it recover faster. You have to get the entire root system killed to have any lasting success.
B. John

/ Best Implement To Pull Out Multiflora Rose? #4  
I have a fair amount of multiflora rose around and yesterday took out the tractor with the EA Root Grapple to work on the stuff. Problem is the teeth are so far apart it can't grip the vines so they just slide through. What's the best way or best implement to pull the stuff out?

Have you attempted to use the grapple to dig and break out the main root ball? Not the vines but the roots?

/ Best Implement To Pull Out Multiflora Rose?
I'm having to deal with it is in the woods along trails where a mower can't usually get to. I pull out the smaller clumps by hand, whack them with string trimmer with blade attached, and sprayed some with Cimmeron, but was just hoping there was some FEL implement that was really good at digging down, clamping on to the stuff and pulling it out.

/ Best Implement To Pull Out Multiflora Rose? #7  
My experience with multi-flower rose bushes is that you can never pull all the roots out of the ground and what ever is left will grow new shoots.

On large bushes, I lower the F.E.L. bucket to the ground and either break the bush loose or push it to one side and cut it off with with large H.D. pruning shears. Followed up with painting the stub with undiluted round-up or brush killer. Done, no new regrowth.

I think this is where a Piranha bar would excel in either pulling the bush out with a lot of it's roots or cutting it off at ground level. If I didn't already have a tooth bar for digging, I would have bought a Piranha bar just for such purpose. That and clearing other small brush and saplings.

/ Best Implement To Pull Out Multiflora Rose? #8  
The stuff sure is persistent. The only luck I've had with large areas is to knock it down as much as you can by machine, i.e. front end loader, then spray the new shoots with a broad leaf weed killer. It's not a quick process, but most other methods I've tried just seem to make it spread faster.

/ Best Implement To Pull Out Multiflora Rose?
I would apply this,,, and see what comes up in about 3 years,,,

Pramitol 25E Herbicide Concentrate, 2.5 gal. at Tractor Supply Co.

Wonder if there's an herbicide that mostly targets rose? The problem I have spraying all the plants with a general herbicide is naturally it kills all the adjacent bushes, vines, grass, etc.

I imagine a Piranha bar would work well for digging it up. Might buy a small bucket just for digging and put a Piranha bar on it.

/ Best Implement To Pull Out Multiflora Rose? #10  
Round up poison ivy killer will kill it.