Best Method to Make Trails

/ Best Method to Make Trails #1  

Kyle241

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
I'm increasing the trail system I have on my property and last year I got lazy and hired a local guy with a dozer to come in and clear our a trail to the back of my property. Unfortunately the area I wanted him to focus on was a low lying area that I had concerns he would get stuck in, he said he wouldn't but I was proved right. He also cleaned-up a trail I had made in the higher area of my property but now I want to increase my tail system and do not want to hire him, I'd rather save some money and do it myself. I have a B20 and know it's under powered to do the job quickly but it's a little tank and I know can get the job done. My concern is that I do not currently have any attachments other than the loader and BH to assist to make a trail smooth and flat. Is a box blade the best all round attachment to make a trail? I've been considering upgrading my tractor (40-50hp) for a few months and that is why I have not gone out and bought a BB for my B20. I have also considered renting a dozer myself (CAT D4) for a week or so and just going to town on the trails and anything else I need to do.

As for the low lying area, my job this fall is to make a corduroy road as it's too far back to bring in stone/gravel and there's about 1-2ft of peat and removing that would be a huge effort.

Tks.

/ Best Method to Make Trails #2  
jim_logging_Virgina.46192108_std.jpg

They dont get stuck in the mud, and you've never had a better nights sleep in your life. :D

/ Best Method to Make Trails #3  
I'll be watching this thread as I'm interested as well.

/ Best Method to Make Trails #4  
On a serious note, whats the intent of the trails? If you plan to rent a D4 sounds like you are cutting an unimproved road rather than a trail?

Equipment movement to maintain the property?
Ride horses?
ATV's?
Romantic Moonlit Strolls?

The use would determine how I cut the trails if I were doing it for myself.

/ Best Method to Make Trails
On a serious note, whats the intent of the trails? If you plan to rent a D4 sounds like you are cutting an unimproved road rather than a trail?

Equipment movement to maintain the property?
Ride horses?
ATV's?
Romantic Moonlit Strolls?

The use would determine how I cut the trails if I were doing it for myself.

The trails will be primarily walking paths through the property and also accessing trees for firewood. Could one day be for horses as well but that is a ways off. The D4 idea is that they tend to make a good smooth trail, can push anything I'll run into (I'm avoiding large trees on my trail) and I want it wide enough that the forest will not encroach too much in the first year. I'll use my bush hog for any cutting of weeds/undergrowth that may come up so I really want to avoid how it is now which is bumpy due to embedded stones and some low pockets.

Tks.

/ Best Method to Make Trails #6  
The newer dozers have a pretty quick learning curve as they have the joystick controls. They also typically have 6 way blades that can level out your uneven parts of the trail. And, it's some great seat time.....

Check the blade widths, they're anywhere from 8-10 feet.

that would be my vote!

/ Best Method to Make Trails #7  
jim_logging_Virgina.46192108_std.jpg

They dont get stuck in the mud, and you've never had a better nights sleep in your life. :D

Is that George Bush up there?? :thumbsup:

/ Best Method to Make Trails #8  
Look into a sublease or rental of a small dozer, if you look hard enough deals can be had...check pool companies, concrete companies, construction companies etc. Lots of guys can be had cheap for a few hours on a Saturday morning, then you can clean up and maintain with a box blade. I got 1,800 feet of trail dozed for a couple of sheet pizzas once, the machine was already on site and he just made two passes, one in one out, I cleaned it up with the box scraper and it is like a highway now.

/ Best Method to Make Trails #10  
I have cut about 2 miles of trails on our property in the last year with my JD990. I have a bush hog, FEL, backhoe, and a chainsaw. My trails are for walking/ATV riding. I would not have done it with a dozer if I had one. I wanted for the area to remain as natural as possible and not disturb the soil any more than I had to. It is a lot of work, but I find that part rewarding. I avoided any very large trees, cut the saplings with the bushog, cut the midsize stuff with the chainsaw, and dug out the stumps with the backhoe.

Edit to add, I also bought a 3 point hitch chipper and chipped all the brush and put it back down on the trails.