Dirt Moving Best size box blade for NX?

/ Best size box blade for NX? #1  

Bob from Maine

Tractor
Kioti NX 5010H
I recently upgraded to an NX 5010H open station and looking at getting a box blade to fix/maintain my driveway and road (approximately 1/4 mile x 20’)
I’m considering the Woods BSM72 and BSM84.
I’d appreciate any feedback and suggestions.

Last edited:
   / Best size box blade for NX? #2  
For me my box blade extends just beyond my rear wheels.

Works well for me. Can be a big pull as they load up with material.

Joel

/ Best size box blade for NX? #5  
Yes, you will be better off to buy one at least as wide as your tires.

You will get many opinions about box blades, these are mine.

The true benefit of a box blade is its ability to move material, this what it excels at. The use of it is improved dramatically with a hydraulic top-link. There is a learning curve to using one as they require constant adjustments.

You can not beat a land plane for creating a smooth surface with minimal effort. Because they have skid shoes/runners you drop it to the ground and allow it float as it does the rest to create a level surface.

I own a box blade and a land plane. To maintain an established driveway the land plane hands down wins.

If your driveway has deep pot holes you will want to get an implement with scarifier's to dig down to the depth of the hole to be able reestablish a smooth consistent base.

If I could only choose one it would be the land plane as it will move material just not as efficiently as a box blade, but then I always have my FEL to move material as well.

/ Best size box blade for NX?
Hmm. Interesting.
I do have a hydraulic top link. Can the land plane be tilted with the side link to create/maintain a crown?
Will it scrape material off the edges and bring it back to the center?

/ Best size box blade for NX? #7  
Big advantage to cover your tracks?

If your BB is much narrower than your tire spread, and you pull in one alley repeatedly, your tires will soon be up on narrow ledges and the centered BB will not touch the ground.

Tractor tire weight will mash down minor differences of 1" to 1-1/2" per side.

In the attached photo, two years old, the 60" wide community burn pit is now 40" below grade. You can't do below grade work like this if your Box Blade is narrower than tractor's tire spread.

Note: Bush Hog (brand) Rollover Box Blade.

Attachments

• DSC00071.jpg
    DSC00071.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 370

Last edited:
   / Best size box blade for NX?
Outside to outside rear tires (R4s) measures around 73.
Would the 84” BB be overkill?
Would it be too big to maneuver?
The road is fairly straight, but like anything else, I’m sure I’ll find other uses for it.

/ Best size box blade for NX? #10  
Hmm. Interesting.
I do have a hydraulic top link. Can the land plane be tilted with the side link to create/maintain a crown?
Will it scrape material off the edges and bring it back to the center?

The land plane can be tilted to create a crown and it is a much better implement at doing so compared to a box blade as within the land plane the scraping blades are angled to purposely move the material to one side. Again its another advantage of a land plane over a box blade for maintaining a driveway.