Best truck under $10k?

/ Best truck under $10k?
Hey man, I am happy you found something you like for under 10k, gas might come down! Maybe start saving for a good used electric truck for the next one:)

Electric trucks are going to be cost prohibitive for a long time because of the likely battery replacement cost coming in at 100-150k miles. So you start with a $50k base model lightning, it dips to $20k in 5 years but by then needs a $20k battery replacement?

Now a PHEV tacoma, ranger, or even full size trucks would make the most sense... if anybody would ever make one. Maybe a base model maverick hybrid, but I don't like the tiny bed or FWD.

And this is where the thread goes off track, isn't it. 🤷‍♂️😁🤑

/ Best truck under $10k? #62  
Electric trucks are going to be cost prohibitive for a long time because of the likely battery replacement cost coming in at 100-150k miles. So you start with a $50k base model lightning, it dips to $20k in 5 years but by then needs a $20k battery replacement?

Now a PHEV tacoma, ranger, or even full size trucks would make the most sense... if anybody would ever make one. Maybe a base model maverick hybrid, but I don't like the tiny bed or FWD.

And this is where the thread goes off track, isn't it. 🤷‍♂️😁🤑
No no, just kidding........... technology transitions happen, it's just that it will be 20 years before you can buy a 20 year old used electric truck. No policy/political agenda intended.

OMG I saw a little maverick truck today, maverick to me is the car you bought when you didn't need a cool car to get girls:) Love to meet the marketing folks that brought that old name back to life:)

/ Best truck under $10k? #63  
Here, e85 is about 50% cheaper than regular unleaded. I figured net 30% savings?
WOW! Here, e85 used to be about 20% cheaper, but the last few months, it cost MORE than e10. I was kinda shocked at that.

/ Best truck under $10k? #64  
That image you have of yourself must be about 30 years old or you must be buying from a doting uncle. 10K won't get anything worth owning these days.
I have to ask, with some of the comments from you in various threads, how old are you? :unsure:

/ Best truck under $10k? #65  
Do you find that your mileage decreases though? When we started getting E-10, I found that my mileage dropped 10%.
That’s kinda hard to pin that big of a drop on E10.

E10 has about 96.7% of the energy as E0. Many studies out there show E10 will reduce mileage by about 3-4% VS E0.

So yes, your mileage will go down if you use E10 vs E0. However, it isn’t going to drop 10%.

/ Best truck under $10k? #67  
No no, just kidding........... technology transitions happen, it's just that it will be 20 years before you can buy a 20 year old used electric truck. No policy/political agenda intended.

OMG I saw a little maverick truck today, maverick to me is the car you bought when you didn't need a cool car to get girls:) Love to meet the marketing folks that brought that old name back to life:)
It's not that different than the original car. Picture a '76 with the trunk lid taken off and the sides smoothed, and that's what you have now. I have been thinking about one for a run around vehicle when I don't need a pickup... take the dog to the lake and throw him in the back for the ride home.

/ Best truck under $10k? #68  
That’s kinda hard to pin that big of a drop on E10.

E10 has about 96.7% of the energy as E0. Many studies out there show E10 will reduce mileage by about 3-4% VS E0.

So yes, your mileage will go down if you use E10 vs E0. However, it isn’t going to drop 10%.
All that I know is I was keeping careful track of my mileage per tank, and all of a sudden it dropped. I didn't even realize they had started diluting the fuel, but that's when it happened. That was a '98 pickup though, so really not made for watered down fuel.

/ Best truck under $10k? #70  
Sometimes You Have to Work or Pay to Make it Your Home Depot Truck

Chiming in late, but confused how EVs made it into a thread for a "Home Depot" truck. My interpretation was part-time hauler not daily driver, doesn't have to be pretty, but has to run well and support your chores & work.

9 years ago I bought a 1999 Ford F250 Crew Cab short bed 2WD for $9K. It was on a Dealer's lot, had 2 flat tires, a hole in the bed where the 5th wheel hitch was, and the braking system was locked up from sitting too long. Truck was an auction truck with 1 previous owner according to DMV records. F250 only had 98,000 miles on it. I returned to the dealer 3 times before I could actually drive it. It was advertised for $8500, but they pissed me off when they raised the price because I made them fix things.....brakes were dragging during the test drive. The interior was pristine cloth and clean and original. It was a gas, not diesel, and it was purple. 10 miles/gallon city, 12 miles highway.

Nobody in Central Illinois wanted a 2WD Purple F250 with a gas engine.

I walked away after the 3rd time. 3 weeks later I spoke to my automotive tech about the truck. Knowing he'd get some more business, he suggested I buy it. I went back and swallowed the extra $500. I spent $2100 to fix the rest of the truck....brakes, tires, exhaust with my tech..

Yup, only purple truck in the county. Neighbors asked if I had a midlife crisis and was now leaving the straight guys team.

Truck only has 153,000 miles now. It'll haul my trailer with tractor smoothly.......it's all about stopping, not pulling!

I don't regret buying the truck......just paid to repair the A/C. It looks like a beater and runs like a champion. Still has no leaks.

My favorite experience is at traffic lights when a fellow citizen pulls up in a nice, shiny, almost new F250 or F350. I'd like to have their truck, but I don't want their payments. I'm very content. My truck will do everything their truck will do.