Best truck under $10k?

/ Best truck under $10k? #71  
Sometimes You Have to Work or Pay to Make it Your Home Depot Truck

Chiming in late, but confused how EVs made it into a thread for a "Home Depot" truck. My interpretation was part-time hauler not daily driver, doesn't have to be pretty, but has to run well and support your chores & work.
For me, that would exactly fit an EV truck, if one could be found at typical ICE pricing. I could do 99.9% of my running around with p-t hauler using no gas. The longest R/T I would make is maybe 120 miles. I would still rather have a PHEV. If Toyota makes a Tundra or Tacoma Prime, it could be worth the investment for me. The RAV4 Prime can go 42 miles on a charge. 600 miles range total. 75% of my errands/hauling would be 25 miles round trip. The beauty of that would be that on those rare occasions when I need more range, the gas kicks in and I'm not stranded somewhere.

/ Best truck under $10k? #72  
If Toyota makes a Tundra or Tacoma Prime, it could be worth the investment for me.

I heard that both a Tundra and Taco are in the works, don't know how long will have to wait. I too might be interested but giving up my 5.7L Tundra would be hard to do.

As for trucks under the 10K limit, I was looking for a 1 ton flat to use on the farm. After LOTS of travel (3 states) and looking I finally found a 1992 GMC K3500, older than most would be looking for but literally barn find. A couple had used it to haul their camper to and from Florida until they got to where could no longer make the trip. It had been parked for a few years when I picked it up for 4K, after a tune up, exhaust repair, TBI rebuild and a rebuilt distributor (about another 1K) it is a very dependable truck.

Good used trucks at a reasonable price are out there, just takes a LOT of looking.

Attachments

• GMC K3500 01.jpg
    GMC K3500 01.jpg
    986.8 KB · Views: 77
  • GMC K3500 02.jpg
    GMC K3500 02.jpg
    891.5 KB · Views: 76
  • GMC K3500 03.jpg
    GMC K3500 03.jpg
    912 KB · Views: 71
   / Best truck under $10k? #74  
I tend to listen to What Scotty Kilmer has to say about various mechanical aspects on various makes. Scotty is no nonsense when it comes to the pro's and con's of vehicles.

/ Best truck under $10k? #76  
Not all of them. Many have newer frames with the same old parts; including brake lines.
Never seen a rusted frame here. And I've seen lots of frames.

/ Best truck under $10k? #77  
No road salt (winter) equals no rusted frames. The one thing I have issues with are the steel brake lines that American manufacturers like to use. They all eventually rust out (salt or no salt) from moisture splash. I've replaced brake (hard lines) on a couple vehicles now and in the process of re-hard lining another. Don't know why domestic builder don't use nickel copper alloy hard lines like European builder do. They last the life of the vehicle, are much easier to work with and not as expensive as the pre bent steel lines.

/ Best truck under $10k? #78  
I special ordered a new F350 in January and will be picking it up in August.

As for trucks under $10k, I’ll be selling my 2006 Honda Ridgeline with 267K miles on it. Runs great, but I’d be surprised if I get $4-5K for it. Not sure you’d call it a truck tho….

/ Best truck under $10k? #79  
Older Tacomas have major frame rust problems.

Toyota replaced the frames of those affected with the rust problems, was a time you could see stacks of frames behind dealerships that had been replaced.

/ Best truck under $10k? #80  
I rolled the dice on a $2400.00 '97 Ranger extended cab with the 2.3, 5-speed stick, crank windows. It needed a rebuilt exhaust system from the cat back, a can of freon, and some new u joints and a carrier bearing.

interior was needing a headliner, but seats were without any tears, clearcoat going away on the top surfaces, body mostly straight.

I've since flushed the brakes, changed the timing belt and put in a proper sized battery.

It runs like a top at 246K and I'd drive it anywhere.
it has the 6 foot box, has a sane tailgate height, and I can carry 800 pounds of cargo without even feeling it. AC now blows cold, seats are very comfortable and it will hold 70-75 all day. Highway mileage is 23-25 depending on headwinds. I couldn't be happier, owned it nearly 2 years now and will replace the headliner an do a repaint once the projects around here get done.
20201025_174121.jpg