Big drill bits

/ Big drill bits #21  
I'm looking for a set of good oversized drillbit, セ, ⅞, 1", 1⅛, 1?シ,1⅜, 1?ス. Amazon's got them up to 1" but the reviews aren't great and honestly that's the only place i shop aside from harbor freight and home depot. I'm drilling into セ" 67 year old steel, the last time i did it, i burned through 2 drills and it took an hour. That was a $40 1" bit.

Try..... Drillhog.com
Buy only a solid Cobalt bit.
I have an 1-1/4 Cobalt bit of theirs and it works well.
I use it in my drill press, with plenty of lubricant, and slow speed.

/ Big drill bits #22  
I generally use these Champion hole cutters. Carbide tooth annular cutter combined with a pilot bit. Great for hand held and drill press.

Attachments

• champions.jpg
    champions.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 136
   / Big drill bits #23  
I have a few big bits, but no one stocks them so they're all special order. Which means I have to wait for shipping. I have a metal hole saw bit i used once for a 1ス" hole but it was a real bear.

I am buying a new bucket for my backhoe and pin sizes may not match, but I don't know what I need yet. I will likely pick up the bucket this weekend, then I'll have to wait for bits to drill, I was just thinking it would be nice to have a few standard sizes on hand.

vSdEq13.jpg

OUCH, I hurt just looking at that set up in your picture !

Can I suggest clamping your work so that it's stationary and not able to move horizontally and vertically.

And I quit using those high torque (wrap me up) drills when I hit my 40's and I would always installed the horizional screw in handle in those drills.

I will use my HF drill press or a 3/8" pistol grip battery drill (has much less torque then your drill).

Thank for the picture and good luck.

KC

/ Big drill bits
My HF drill press didn't scratch them. Slow, fast, oiled, didn't matter, it was not able to provide the torque on the slowest setting with the belt as tight as I could get it.

This is 3 pieces of 3/8" steel that I used for building my pallet forks for my bobcat. It took 40 minutes to get through like this: http://i.imgur.com/pQRDLoy.mp4

/ Big drill bits #26  
On large hole I tend to use a "bridge" reamer as it can do any size from small end of taper to largest part past taper....

0234175-23.jpg

just besure upper end of reamer is appropriate for chuck on drill motor...

And yes you need good 1/2 drill motor and use both handles as it can jam and try to spin drill motor out of hands... SO GET A GRIP ON IT and watch feed rate...

Dale

/ Big drill bits #27  
I have a few big bits, but no one stocks them so they're all special order. Which means I have to wait for shipping. I have a metal hole saw bit i used once for a 1½" hole but it was a real bear.

I am buying a new bucket for my backhoe and pin sizes may not match, but I don't know what I need yet. I will likely pick up the bucket this weekend, then I'll have to wait for bits to drill, I was just thinking it would be nice to have a few standard sizes on hand.

vSdEq13.jpg

OUCH, I hurt just looking at that set up in your picture !

Can I suggest clamping your work so that it's stationary and not able to move horizontally and vertically.

And I quit using those high torque (wrap me up) drills when I hit my 40's and I would always installed the horizional screw in handle in those drills.

I will use my HF drill press or a 3/8" pistol grip battery drill (has much less torque then your drill).

Thank for the picture and good luck.

KC

Also hope you are using sidel handel on side we can not see.... With top handle you will not be able to hold drill motor in solid as your arm and wrist has very little strength to resist rotation....

/ Big drill bits #29  
Also hope you are using sidel handel on side we can not see.... With top handle you will not be able to hold drill motor in solid as your arm and wrist has very little strength to resist rotation....

The OP needs to find a fiend or neighbor with a REAL drill press.