big stones to move with little bx, looking for leverage ideas.

/ big stones to move with little bx, looking for leverage ideas. #1  

johann

Silver Member
Tractor
bx2200
hello all!
I would like to move some pretty big stones with my bx2200 I do not have a back hoe, and I would rather not split them.Ideally I would like to move them about 300 ft, plan "B" would be about 10 ft so I can make my access trail for my machine around my property.I calculated the biggest stone at about 1000 lbs. I am pretty sure that these stones were moved there by some farmer clearing fields long ago since they are in a straight line going through the woods filled with 100ft tall norway spruce. He must have had some smart way to leverage them there 'cuz he probably didn't have any heavy equipment back then. So any one got any ideas?

/ big stones to move with little bx, looking for leverage ideas. #2  
I've never had to move large stones a long distance, but I have learned that, even if you can't lift them, you can probably push them with a SCUT. Using the FEL, they can also be "rolled" to a certain extent.

Haven't ried pulling yet. Let us know what you end up doing.

/ big stones to move with little bx, looking for leverage ideas. #3  
Roll the stone on stone bolt or old car hood than drag..one idea.

/ big stones to move with little bx, looking for leverage ideas. #4  
I have moved some big stones with a BX. How the land lays is the good or bad. If it's flat or sloped down then I've lifted one side and pushed. If it's uphill I've done the same but there's a point in size that it won't push. If the bottoms want to dig in then put boards on the other side and get them to slide on the boards. I've also pushed one corner some, moved to the other corner and pushed it till I've worked them corner by corner till they get where I want them. If the land is sloping down and you have a stone that's slightly round and you lift and start it rolling they can go till they hit your truck, car, house or anything else you don't want them to hit. I was moving a 1000' roll of house wrap one time and it started down my hill unraveling for over 400' till it hit my neighbors garage across the street. My wife, brother and sister in law were standing there watching. Fortunately my neighbor wasn't home.:) I sped down the hill on my tractor to my neighbors and started rolling what was left on the roll back across the street to my side and wife, brother and sister in law were wadding up the bunch that unrolled. I later got some forks to move it with. I've also paid a man with a skid steer to pick several of the big ones up and place them where I wanted them. At $65 an hour he was able to do what I couldn't. Hate to say this but there are limits to these tractors and there are machines much more suitable for some of the jobs.

/ big stones to move with little bx, looking for leverage ideas. #5  
Dragging the stones may be the best way. Keep the bucket loaded with smaller rocks to assist with traction. Also be very cognizant of the hook up position in relationship to the height of the rear axle as the tractor can be flipped backward under the right conditions.

If dragging or pushing on hills also realize the rock can follow the path of gravity and take the tractor with it.:D

/ big stones to move with little bx, looking for leverage ideas. #6  
You can always drag the stones, roll the stones, or pick it up. If your calculations is correct- you could try a boom pole. The 3pt hitch is capable over 1000 lbs. using a boom pole and wrap chains around the stone and lift, you can easily move the stone. Just have something in the FEL for counter weight as the boom pole creates a great leverage on such a small BX.

/ big stones to move with little bx, looking for leverage ideas. #7  
IMG_0120 (Small)[2].JPG

You will be surprised how big a boulder you can move by pushing it. This boulder was dug out of the ground and then pushed up a ramp to level ground and further pushed over in a fence line to the property

/ big stones to move with little bx, looking for leverage ideas. #8  
Drag them, or if possible come up with a stone boat to use...... as was already memtioned. Or...... dig a large hole next to them and push them in the hole and bury them.

/ big stones to move with little bx, looking for leverage ideas. #9  
hello all!
I would like to move some pretty big stones with my bx2200 I do not have a back hoe, and I would rather not split them.Ideally I would like to move them about 300 ft, plan "B" would be about 10 ft so I can make my access trail for my machine around my property.I calculated the biggest stone at about 1000 lbs. I am pretty sure that these stones were moved there by some farmer clearing fields long ago since they are in a straight line going through the woods filled with 100ft tall norway spruce. He must have had some smart way to leverage them there 'cuz he probably didn't have any heavy equipment back then. So any one got any ideas?
I adapted an old pallet for skidding various items...used some thin gauge angle iron to make some bolt on sled runners and through bolted some eye bolts to tie objects down. I've moved trees, rocks, loads of lumber, etc., works pretty well for me using a MF 2310 TLB that is close to size and power of your 'bota.

/ big stones to move with little bx, looking for leverage ideas. #10  
Can you do some simple fabrication? If so, have a look at this website, there is an interesting idea there for a rig to attach to your 3PH that looks simple enough..... Jinma 224